Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 01:15 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times

Advertisements

So what do we as responsible gun owners do about mass shootings?

That's akin to asking what those who responsibly take prescription drugs are going to do about opioid deaths.

The answer is nothing. I am a clear headed, rational, responsible, tax paying, law abiding citizen. I'm not responsible for the death of druggies. And I'm not responsible for the actions of murderers - not the d*ckhead who stabs his wife to death - not the d*ckhead who decides to walk into a Walmart or a school or a hospital and mow down innocent citizens. I will not in any way, form or fashion accept responsibility for the actions of others.

The answer is punish law breakers. Punish those who abuse drugs. Who purchase guns illegally. Who urinate and defecate in the street. Who smash windows and burn cars. Who come across the border illegally. Who don't pay their taxes, who jump turnstiles, who steal from people and beat up people and terrorize people. Who break the law. Again - punish law breakers.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
Don't leave home without it.
Return fire is the last thing a shooter wants to hear.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Yeah it is.

I live in a town where the newspaper publishes pictures of a group of local kids holding rifles, who placed in state FFA competitions. I live in a town that has signs outside all the schools warning that school staff are armed. Where citizens are allowed to either open or concealed carry, and both are common. Where more people are armed than not.

I was a single mother for a long time, raising two boys. I don't remember how it started, but we made a tradition out of watching the movies Terminator I and Terminator II every Christmas Day. I remember being a young mother of two beautiful little blond haired boys and thinking that I didn't want my darlings playing with "weapons of war". And then I watched these same loved and cherished sons turn combs and hair dryers and sticks and Christmas candy canes into guns and "bazookas". I watched them draw pictures of fighter planes that dropped bombs onto tanks on the ground, and I listened as they made the noises as they drew each dropping bomb until eventually the tank exploded. And I listened to the explosion noises they made as they drew it all on paper.

And I realized that boys are not the same as girls - they're hard wired differently - they are evolutionary-genetically different. And that "playing war" doesn't hurt my children as long as they are taught responsibility, respect, self-respect, self control, and as long as they know that they are unconditionally loved. Which they were.

My husband is a military combat veteran. A medically retired law enforcement officer who was severely injured during an ambush attack. All before I met him. But a firearm has saved his life. More than once. Much more often than once. He is never unarmed. Never.

We live in a part of the country that has bear, mountain lion and rattlesnakes everywhere on state and federal lands - and occasionally even in town.

I fully and completely support the 2A. And I will not ever apologize or excuse make or shrink from that support.
I also support your 2A rights but keeping guns out of the hands of nut cases and criminals does not affect your 2A rights. So what is wrong with legislation that closes the loopholes that allow people to buy guns without adequate background checks?

Old 08-04-2019, 01:22 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I also support your 2A rights but keeping guns out of the hands of nut cases and criminals does not affect your 2A rights. So what is wrong with legislation that closes the loopholes that allow people to buy guns without adequate background checks?
When was the last time you saw a criminal fill out a background check to purchase a gun?

Old 08-04-2019, 01:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
I'm at a loss here.
We live with and accept that there has to be 40,000 deaths a year due to car accidents. It should be even easier to live with and accept that there are 14,000 gun deaths every year. Like all those deadly car accidents, we have no other choice but to accept those gun deaths as something little can be done about. 2nd Amendment supporters have no problem fully accept living` with that situation and expect everybody else to do so.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
So what is wrong with legislation that closes the loopholes that allow people to buy guns without adequate background checks?
It boils down to this:

The people who commit the majority of gun crimes in this country get their firearms from the street, often via theft. They are not following any laws whatsoever, so why do you think that new legislation would suddenly compel them to comply with the law regarding background checks?

The stark reality is that only law-abiding gun owners would comply with the law, and every time they gifted a gun to a family member or sold a shotgun to their neighbor they would have to undergo the hassle of a costly background check. There would be no magical reduction in gun crime, but Uncle Sam would have a nice record of every (legal) firearm in the country, making confiscation much easier down the road.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:29 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
More guns are needed! You obviosly don't have enough 'over there!'. Make a law that everybody over the age of 5 must carry at least 2 guns at all times, then if somebody starts a 'shooting the 'good guys' can drop and roll and start a shooting back. Arm every teacher with a grenade make school uniform bullet proof and instead of yellow school buses you should transport you kids to school in armoured cars, I reckon by doing this instead of having BY FAR the worst death rates by fire arms in the whole of the first world you will erradicate gun crime altogether no? More guns 40,000000000000 guns in a country the size of the US is obviously not enough!

Old 08-04-2019, 01:31 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
I'm at a loss here.
Columbine was the start of the nut jobs and mass shootings....faulty premises came out of that.....and of course the lib media wants to grab our guns and never wastes a mass shooting to wail and propose draconian useless laws that do nothing for safety. In actual fact these nut jobs don't require a Ph.D to figure out.....it would have been obvious to those close to Klebold and Harris, and in fact a police outreach was made. To make a weapon (AR15) the bad guy is useless.....whatever else is available would be used. In Columbine they intended for it to actually be a bombing incident with those small propane tanks, but they couldn't figure out a detonator for them at the last minute. The Boston incident used pressure cookers, McVeigh a van full of fertilizer.......just implements......concentrate on the crazy behind those things and you are on to something.

I think the FBI is going towards facial recognition and AI to quickly ferret out the nut cases. It will mean a knock on the door at 5am and getting cuffed and and thrown in a car for a ride to the station for some. 1984 will eventually show up..........

Old 08-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Promote more states to allow legal carry for the law abiding. Encourage the law abiding to get their carry permits and carry a firearm. Get rid of gun free zones like the CA garlic festival and retail stores that ban guns. These shooting are RARE and overall very few people die each year from them. More people die by far from inner city black on black violence, but it seems black lives don't matter after all, because nobody tries to stop that.
More and more guns will only mean more accidents, including mistaking the good guy for the bad guy. Many gun supporters are opposed to any permits required.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is mostly mental health issues. What we should do is pressure our politicians to pass bills blocking people with mental health issues from owning guns and living in homes with guns. If the politicians don't want it, continue to pester them and then come November, vote those inactive people out for not listening to their constituents.
How do you determine a person who is too mentally ill to own a gun once they are out of high school and much more difficult to monitor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies