Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 01:34 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump has taken the growing economy he inherited and with his trade wars and reckless policies, brought us to the brink of recession. I believe 2020 is shaping up to be a perilous year for the U.S. economy. I believe that by the election, unemployment will be skyrocketing, people will be losing their homes, and we'll see one or two big bank failures. It could be even worse if China decides to completely unload U.S. debt, a very real possibility. Most people on this board who are working will likely either be laid off or know somebody who is laid off by next year at this time.

Thing is, none of this had to happen. This is 100% on Donald Trump. Now we all are going to have to suffer.

Democrats need to start shifting the conversation to this because I believe that the collapsing economy will be their winning issue in 2020. The U.S. needs to join the rest of the world in embracing the 21st century rather than trying to bring back the middle of the 20th century, destroying itself in the process.
I couldn't agree more (that DEMS need to start talking about jobs and the economy). Obviously, the moral issues are a must, but that alone is not going to win. It pains me to say that, but it is true. It doesn't mean people don't care about the other issues, but at the end of the day, they want to make sure they will be able to feed their families.

I plan on supporting Biden if he gets the nomination. If Warren does, I will vote for Trump. But that is for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Exactly what policies did Obama/Biden put into place to grow the economy?
Health care makes up about 20% of the GDP. Make of that what you will.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Nothing pisses off the DNC like low unemployment.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Health care makes up about 20% of the GDP. Make of that what you will.
That will happen to a society addicted to fast food, sodas and sitting on the couch.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:10 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Trump has brought us to the brink of recession? Biggest garbage I’ve ever heard, I’m guessing the OP has been asleep the past two and a half years

By the way OP, your democrats support Trumps stance on trade, look at Schumer. So your against democrat policies?

Old 08-10-2019, 03:02 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Trump has brought us to the brink of recession? Biggest garbage I’ve ever heard, I’m guessing the OP has been asleep the past two and a half years
Ahem.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:01 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Exactly what policies did Obama/Biden put into place to grow the economy?
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act which ended the recession in 2009. https://www.thebalance.com/arra-details-3306299

The stability we had under Obama kept the economy going at steady pace. We were also reducing the deficit.

Under Trump we saw tax cuts for rich which gave us a small economic bump, but greatly increased the deficit. I won’t even mention all the economic uncertainty happening under Trump.

Growth was about same for both Presidents. Unemployment a little less under Trump. Another recession will erase that.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:24 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Nothing pisses off the DNC like low unemployment.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:26 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act which ended the recession in 2009. https://www.thebalance.com/arra-details-3306299

The stability we had under Obama kept the economy going at steady pace. We were also reducing the deficit.

Under Trump we saw tax cuts for rich which gave us a small economic bump, but greatly increased the deficit. I won’t even mention all the economic uncertainty happening under Trump.

Growth was about same for both Presidents. Unemployment a little less under Trump. Another recession will erase that.
At least that's what you're hoping right?

Old 08-10-2019, 04:27 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In December 1965, unemployment dropped to 4% and would stay at or below that level until February 1970.

Since we are less than two years into the Trump era of low unemployment, I would advise you to relax...get comfortable.

We have a long way to go before a ****ty economy will be along to rescue the Democratic Party from it's long overdue demise as a relevant political force in American politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
In 1965 they were just a few years removed from the last recession (1960-61). We are now 10 years removed from the last recession. Not comparable situations.

Correct!

There are significant differences.

That was pointed out to you, but you have a selective ADD.

What took place in 2007 has nothing to do with today.

There is no pending credit default swap crisis, so why act as thought there were?

Tariffs applied to a trading partner with a 4 to 1 advantage isn't going to throw the US into a recession.

The federal government will buy the excess soybeans - the way they always do - and that will be the end of it.

The world is full of third-world hell holes that can make our t-shirts and phone chargers.

We don't have to do business with China, and we don't have to accept one-way trade deals with a nation that steals our technology and supplies it to a growing military that we may one day have to confront.

For once, maybe, we should do something besides slam our **** in a car door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies