Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:02 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

We can all be thankful that these losers were stopped before they could carry out their plans. We should be grateful for the authorities that did a great job in tracking down these threats.

What is really disturbing is that 2 of the 3 were young men. I can't help but worry and wonder if this generation of kids that has been given everything by mommy and daddy but discipline and gold stars and participation trophies for showing up are now realizing the reality of life and they are not happy.

Imagine the disappointment they must be facing in their early 20's when they realized that life is not fair and their dreams of being a rich actor/rapper/producer/videogame player/ blogger/skateboard pro have been dashed by the reality of a future flipping burgers for $9 an hour.

These spoiled brats have a lot of anger for the world and they blame everyone but themselves.

Banning certain guns is not going to prevent young men with an altered and deranged view of the world from seeking to lash out in anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 07:03 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We can all be thankful that these losers were stopped before they could carry out their plans. We should be grateful for the authorities that did a great job in tracking down these threats.

What is really disturbing is that 2 of the 3 were young men. I can't help but worry and wonder if this generation of kids that has been given everything by mommy and daddy but discipline and gold stars and participation trophies for showing up are now realizing the reality of life and they are not happy.

Imagine the disappointment they must be facing in their early 20's when they realized that life is not fair and their dreams of being a rich actor/rapper/producer/videogame player/ blogger/skateboard pro have been dashed by the reality of a future flipping burgers for $9 an hour.

These spoiled brats have a lot of anger for the world and they blame everyone but themselves.

Banning certain guns is not going to prevent young men with an altered and deranged view of the world from seeking to lash out in anger.
What do you actually think will happen to these guys? I'm guessing almost nothing or about the same as an exchange in a road rage. So far charges are almost nothing. Telephone harassment or trying to buy a magazine which will possibly very soon be found to be unconstitutional (CA).

Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'm suggesting that they receive prosecution for crimes they have committed.

What's your alternative? Prosecuting them for some unknown action they might have taken at some point in the future? Doesn't that apply to everyone within the jurisdiction of the United States?
I would suggest they be treated in the same way that someone who is openly threatening a domestic partner with harm is treated, before they have actually followed through on their murder plans.

A restraining order type thing. No gun ownership, and if you're found to have guns in your possession, or explosives, or other plans for mass destruction, prison time.

The same as someone who has been threatening to kill an exgirlfriend is told to not contact her and stay away from where she lives and works. If he violates those orders, prison time.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would suggest they be treated in the same way that someone who is openly threatening a domestic partner with harm is treated, before they have actually followed through on their murder plans.

A restraining order type thing. No gun ownership, and if you're round to have guns in your possession, prison time.

The same as someone who has been threatening to kill an exgirlfriend is told to not contact her and stay away from where she lives and works. If he violates those orders, prison time.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...er-really-work

Studies on the efficacy of TROs vary widely, with one suggesting they are effective in keeping victims safe about 85 percent of the time, while another report suggests a less optimistic 15 percent success rate. So let us split the difference and say that restraining orders work about half the time and the other half, they don’t. Why or why not?

Old 08-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...er-really-work

Studies on the efficacy of TROs vary widely, with one suggesting they are effective in keeping victims safe about 85 percent of the time, while another report suggests a less optimistic 15 percent success rate. So let us split the difference and say that restraining orders work about half the time and the other half, they don’t. Why or why not?
I think TROs send a strong message to men (it's usually men, but sometimes women) who are bent on scaring their victims, but don't really intend real harm. They want their revenge to be fear and intimidation.

For men who really want their victim dead, there's nothing you can do, and they often kill themselves immediately after. Their single goal is to kill that one person.

So maybe the model of the TRO won't work on young men who intend mass shootings, but I think it would at least be a step in the right direction. We, as a society will no longer be silent when young men stockpile weapons and communicate openly their plan to kill others.

Just as no one armed with a box cutter will be able to hijack and airplane, ever again.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not all murderers would qualify as a nut job.
They were probably just doing what this generation does- posting and saying over the top dumb things and edgy memes. It seems ok to threaten to blow up the white house or put out a call to take out a supreme court justice if you are left wing. They just say tee-hee of course I was kidding, and that's the end of it.

Owning guns and ammunition is not "stock piling". One of the "stockpiles" was actually the father's guns, so they weren't even the young man's guns.

People have to stop thinking they can say outrageous things for attention, or this is what you get, if you are of a certain demographic with certain beliefs. Perhaps it should apply to all. There will be a lot of searches and arrests in that case, bad news for freedom.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:54 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Well, looking in my crystal ball folks need to keep their mouths shut because any innocent word will be reported and employers, as always, will respond with firing your arse even if authorities will have no interests in psychoanalyzing your water cooler conversations and such.
Do you routinely talk about shooting 100s of people around the water cooler like these young men did?

Old 08-19-2019, 07:57 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'm suggesting that they receive prosecution for crimes they have committed.

What's your alternative? Prosecuting them for some unknown action they might have taken at some point in the future? Doesn't that apply to everyone within the jurisdiction of the United States?
Is making a threat of violence a crime in your book?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
the one in ohio is charged with telecommunications harassment and aggravated menacing.

his guns were seized for now, but i wonder what happens to them in such a situation? what are the chances he gets them back?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Is making a threat of violence a crime in your book?
Depends on whether there is actual justification for believing the threat. Or whether there is evidence of preparations to carry it out.

If a 4 year old girl threatens to beat your ass, it's not a credible threat. A guy claiming he wants to make the worlds longest confirmed kill shot only possessing a 22 isn't a credible threat (and if you don't know why, you don't have the tools to determine what's a credible threat)

You have to filter the credible threats from the BS, jeez, if you spend 30 minutes on group chat in games you'd harvest enough threats to imprison the entire population of Newark NJ, but 99.999% is just BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies