Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Is making a threat of violence a crime in your book?
You didn't ask me, but it actually IS a crime.

A credible threat of violence is a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Depends on whether there is actual justification for believing the threat. Or whether there is evidence of preparations to carry it out.

If a 4 year old girl threatens to beat your ass, it's not a credible threat. A guy claiming he wants to make the worlds longest confirmed kill shot only possessing a 22 isn't a credible threat (and if you don't know why, you don't have the tools to determine what's a credible threat)

You have to filter the credible threats from the BS, jeez, if you spend 30 minutes on group chat in games you'd harvest enough threats to imprison the entire population of Newark NJ, but 99.999% is just BS.
This. We have to be real careful. Especially these days, people say the craziest things online. And we all know people who make big claims for attention or just spout off nutty things. Where do we draw the line... I suspect it is just young white men paying the price for their words.

I've heard no evidence of preparations, such as maps, schedules, manifestos. Just "fantasy" talk and memes.

Likely nothing was averted here, but hopefully these boys learn a lesson.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:44 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Folks, this was the police getting lucky. Same as you gun mongers say cops can't be counted on to prevent other crimes, it won't consistently work here either.

These young white males go a SLAP ON THE WRIST. What's the going punishment these days for owning some illegal ammo clips? Did they even confiscate their guns or rescind their gun ownership rights? HIGHLY doubt it...we can't have that, right?

So how much of a winning strategy is it if the guys we got lucky apprehending are free to try this again in a month or three?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Guess what? People cooperating with the police would prevent a host of crimes especially in the most dangerous places in the nation, our inner cities.
Gang violence in our inner cities is not quite the same as random mass murders in Walmart, movie theaters, etc. Nice try with your race card though. You get an attaboy for your effort.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Gang violence in our inner cities is not quite the same as random mass murders in Walmart, movie theaters, etc. Nice try with your race card though. You get an attaboy for your effort.
Gang violence is far more devastating and consistent than these mass shootings. You don't live in one of those neighborhoods, so for you it's not a problem. For those that do, it's a huge problem. And it doesn't just effect gang members. These gang members are dumb as rocks. In my opinion, they're the missing link between mankind and chimp. When I lived in such a neighborhood, they'd occasionally shoot up the wrong house, or stray bullets would injure/kill innocent bystanders or people in their homes. One time, they firebombed the wrong house with molotov cocktails (mistaken identity) and an elderly man died as a result. This all happened in a neighborhood I lived in.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This. We have to be real careful. Especially these days, people say the craziest things online. And we all know people who make big claims for attention or just spout off nutty things. Where do we draw the line... I suspect it is just young white men paying the price for their words.

I've heard no evidence of preparations, such as maps, schedules, manifestos. Just "fantasy" talk and memes.

Likely nothing was averted here, but hopefully these boys learn a lesson.
Well if we're not real careful, just watch and wait for the wailing about police states and so on when non-white non-male, non-gun owning people make threats that someone reports, and they get SWATted before dinner.

I mean, my common kill statement in games using fire weapons is "you can't have immolation without a little hilarity", or the ever funny " If you love somebody, set them on fire". Taken out of context they're either disturbing, or you're at a Dead Milkman gig.

Further, if someone really is serious about committing mass homicide, does anyone think that maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't be shooting their mouth off? Crazy thought I know. Especially if anyone making suspect statements gets a call from the local PD.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:01 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Gang violence is far more devastating and consistent than these mass shootings. You don't live in one of those neighborhoods, so for you it's not a problem. For those that do, it's a huge problem. And it doesn't just effect gang members. These gang members are dumb as rocks. In my opinion, they're the missing link between mankind and chimp. When I lived in such a neighborhood, they'd occasionally shoot up the wrong house, or stray bullets would injure/kill innocent bystanders or people in their homes. One time, they firebombed the wrong house with molotov cocktails (mistaken identity) and an elderly man died as a result. This all happened in a neighborhood I lived in.
I didn`t say that I didn`t care about gang violence but it`s not quite the same as terrorism in the schools, churches and synagogues. Jeezus!

Old 08-19-2019, 09:05 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I didn`t say that I didn`t care about gang violence but it`s not quite the same as terrorism in the schools, churches and synagogues. Jeezus!
Gang violence happens in schools, just inner city schools.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:09 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would suggest they be treated in the same way that someone who is openly threatening a domestic partner with harm is treated, before they have actually followed through on their murder plans.

A restraining order type thing. No gun ownership, and if you're found to have guns in your possession, or explosives, or other plans for mass destruction, prison time.

The same as someone who has been threatening to kill an exgirlfriend is told to not contact her and stay away from where she lives and works. If he violates those orders, prison time.
Sounds good on paper, but if someone in an estranged relationship is going to kill themselves and/or the other person, they will, restraining order or not.

I've always thought that a safer option would be ex-military security teams, who warn the violent person that they are watching them 24/7. Big guys, intimidating guys.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Exactly. There is a lot of crossfire where innocent people are casualties. Some bangers shot up a house a couple blocks away targeting some rival, and the only one shot was a lady in another apartment while she was sleeping. Babies and toddlers die in these violent drivebys and fire bombings.

It's all carnage, what's the difference except some people think it should only happen to poor people who deserve to live around violence and terror 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies