Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Healthy California? Must’ve only measured the BMI of citizens.
Possibly because of all the plastic surgery and other kind of surgeries to keep a slim figure

Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Since people want to discuss methodology here are some comments:

1) Mortality rate is skewed against states with older retiree populations like FL, AZ etc. Probably shouldn't even be used.

2) Obesity, Smoking, Suicide and Infant Mort. are good selections but a lot of that starts getting into double counting with some of the other criteria. For example, what if we just used suicide rate, poor mental health, depression? Those would all be majorly correlated.

3) What determines a proper weighting?

There are other issues but those are a good start.

I mean, it's the usual....newspaper journalism majors etc. playing with numbers in order to generate a click attracting article. As you correctly noted earlier the right wingers jump all over them if they tell narratives they like, while you do the same in the other direction. *shrug*

I just like to look at these studies because maybe people actually can learn something about how to look at these things and not be so easily fooled.
The very notion that health is a function of state is prima facie ludicrous. Health, to the extent that it is controllable, is obviously mostly a function of personal decisions, such as eating, drinking, smoking, drugging, exercise, etc. There is a small input from gov't decisions regarding provision of healthcare, but the pct. would obviously be very small.

CDC attributes 90% of health care costs to 'chronic disease,' which is overwhelmingly behavior-related. OP, how much feces must be thrown in your cage before you start to notice the stink?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

999 posts, read 553,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
And... all the plague-carrying rats, dirty Hep C needles on the ground, meth liquid spilled on the sidewalk, and all the urine backed up in the gutters, from people peeing on the ground outside are also good too.
You guys are hilarious.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:26 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
You guys are hilarious.
Lol, yes they are. To a point where all you can do is laugh.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,547,505 times
For those complaining about retirees throwing off the numbers, the CDC uses a stat called the age-adjusted death rate.

Here's the difference between crude rates and age-adjusted rates.
Quote:
Crude rates are influenced by the underlying age distribution of the state’s population. Even if two states have the same age-adjusted rates, the state with the relatively older population generally will have higher crude rates because incidence or death rates for most cancers increase with increasing age. The age distribution of a population (the number of people in particular age categories) can change over time and can be different in different geographic areas. Age-adjusting the rates ensures that differences in incidence or deaths from one year to another, or between one geographic area and another, are not due to differences in the age distribution of the populations being compared.
Here are the age-adjusted death rates by state.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6810a7.htm

The five states with the highest age-adjusted death rates were:
  1. West Virginia (957.1 deaths per 100,000 standard population)
  2. Mississippi (951.3)
  3. Kentucky (929.9)
  4. Alabama (917.7)
  5. Oklahoma (902.4).

The five states with the lowest death rates were:
  1. Hawaii (584.9)
  2. California (618.7)
  3. New York (623.6)
  4. Connecticut (651.2)
  5. Minnesota (656.4)

Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Trumplings have been so brainwashed by the right-wing media, that they've come to the point where they think most of California looks like this, when in reality your typical Californian lives in something that looks more like this.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:48 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,603 times
Of course, California just passed a $9 Billion measure to provide their ~3 million illegals with free health care.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Trumplings have been so brainwashed by the right-wing media, that they've come to the point where they think most of California looks like this, when in reality your typical Californian lives in something that looks more like this.

Most of them never even step foot in California before. From my experience when I was in the military out there at 32nd street San Diego, California is a beautiful place with so much to do. The traffic was probably the worst thing to me, but all the good, positive, and beautiful things far outweigh the bad things. No such place as Utopia, and California is no exception to that. Many of these people complaining probably don't get out much, probably don't know much about their own states and regions. All they know is what they hear on conservative media, or what they heard.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
If course. Cali has a ton of outdoor activity and New Yorkers walk a ton in NYC.

I live I the south and a lot of places don’t even have sidewalks and aren’t walkable.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:58 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I realize there are conservatives here who like to go around telling everybody about all the diseases in California and other liberal states. But I have really, really bad news for them: Of the top 10 healthiest states, 9 are blue, and (gasp!) California is #1.

Let's repeat that so it sinks in: California is the healthiest state in the US.

The ranking is from US News & World Report - the same entity so many conservatives liked to point out that California had the lowest quality of life.

The 10 Healthiest States
1. California
2. New York
3. New Jersey
4. Hawaii
5. Massachusetts
6. Connecticut
7. Minnesota
8. Colorado
9. Washington
10. Utah
Good for them I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.