Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 03:29 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hold it right there Egon Pearson, even if this laughable exercise in journalists playing with math is correct, you've not established the correlation between the voters in the state and their healthiness but rather are assuming that the R's and D's are all equally healthy in a state.
I suppose it could be possible that conservatives in liberal states might be much, much, much, much healthier than liberals in liberal states, to the point where their healthiness completely overwhelms the conservatives in conservative states statistically, but that seems so improbable I don't think it's worth considering. But for that explanation to be valid, you'd have to find a reason why nor only the conservatives in liberal states would be healthier than liberals in liberal states, but also why conservatives in liberal states would be so much healthier than conservatives in conservative states. Even in that case you'd have to somehow admit that there's something about liberal states that makes the conservatives there so incredibly healthy.

The simpler and more straightforward explanation is that the general populations of the liberal states are generally healthier (as opposed to a minority dragging up the statistics of the majority), and since liberals comprise larger percentages of the population in liberal states, then that must mean liberals, generally, are healthier.

I think another explanation is that liberals probably smoke at lower rates than conservatives.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:33 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
You can laugh at this:

Los Angeles Public Health Hazard: How Did It Come to This?

Homeless camps with tents block miles of sidewalks. Trash is piled up along with human waste and drug needles, combined with all sorts of contraband – a clutter of junk, trash and various items you see when passing by. Places that were once for public passage are now off limits to people concerned about their safety. There’s been a recent wide-spread threat of diseases, some described by medical personnel as medieval. Diseases like Typhoid, Typhus, Measles, Scabies, MRSA and Tuberculosis are a few of the critical issues concerning doctors. Rats and other vermin spread disease among the population living in and visiting areas of neglect and decay.

Doctor Drew Pinsky, a familiar name in LA broadcasting, recently stated that Bubonic Plague, a pandemic that killed tens of millions of people in the 14th century is “likely” already present in Los Angeles; it is caused by bites from fleas infected by rats. Other lesser known diseases transmitted by insects can kill people in short time and are of concern to many. Dengue fever is spread by a mosquito bite. Ebola, Cholera, Enterovirus D68 and Chagas Disease (connected to the “Kissing Bug’’ bite) are all of concern to the medical community.
l

https://www.citywatchla.com/index.ph...t-come-to-this
The areas you are speaking of comprise, like, 0.00001% of the area of the state of California. As I said before, the predominant living conditions of Californians is something more like this and this.

Of course if you spend all your time consuming right wing propaganda it's no wonder somebody might think the entire state is a feces-infested rathole.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:35 PM

2,923 posts, read 979,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Healthy California? Must’ve only measured the BMI of citizens.
lol +1

or people not living in a tent or worse

Old 08-22-2019, 05:26 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
Here in the Southeast we are all a bunch of fatties.

Well, I'm not but everyone else is!

Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
Shouldn't this be good news for liberals? This means that conservatives will start dying off and dying young. The bad news for liberals is that they will now have to have sex with women in order to advance the human race.
Good grief. I’m sure your mother is so proud to have raised such a dignified person.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:57 AM

412 posts, read 145,707 times
Gotta give progressive states props for this.

They keep themselves healthy.

What was so great about San Francisco when I was there is I didn't see one fat person anywhere. It was incredible

Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Here in the Southeast we are all a bunch of fatties.

Well, I'm not but everyone else is!
But the southeast has the hottest women. So they have that.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Left-wing views generally correlate with higher IQ's. In turn, that correlates with smarter choices. No wonder then that more liberal states are healthier. This applies to trends, obviously, it's not a rule.

Also, liberal doesn't necessarily equal 'far-left'. Just moderate left views.

Republicans make way more money. The more you make the better chance you have Republican views.

So the IQ stuff doesn't add up

Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I guess a large part of my impression of New Jersey comes from riding through the industrial area on the train from DC or driving up the Jersey Turnpike. Looks like some kind of dystopian wasteland. But I've been in some pretty nice parts of the state too.
New Jersey has some of the most beautiful countryside of any state. It's mostly rural

Old 08-23-2019, 02:15 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The simpler and more straightforward explanation is that the general populations of the liberal states are generally healthier (as opposed to a minority dragging up the statistics of the majority), and since liberals comprise larger percentages of the population in liberal states, then that must mean liberals, generally, are healthier.

I think another explanation is that liberals probably smoke at lower rates than conservatives.
I think conservatives look down more upon people who choose to exercise by walking in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies