Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 02:53 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,029,401 times

Advertisements

I don't care what sexually people are out there yet I don't understand why there are gay's out there that want the whole world to know they are gay and make a big deal out of it. Sure a person may come out or they state they are in a relationship or married to the same sex, but why make such a big deal out of it to everyone out there? That be better announced to family and friends of the gay couple. I can understand the reasons for gays telling their family and friends they are gay. Yet there are no straights out there that announce to the world they are straight.

Last edited by herenow1; 08-30-2019 at 03:04 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 03:19 AM

29,602 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I don't care what sexually people are out there yet I don't understand why there are gay's out there that want the whole world to know they are gay and make a big deal out of it. Sure a person may come out or they state they are in a relationship or married to the same sex, but why make such a big deal out of it to everyone out there? That be better announced to family and friends of the gay couple. I can understand the reasons for gays telling their family and friends they are gay. Yet there are no straights out there that announce to the world they are straight.
Context matters. No one ever asks "are you straight", no one gets fired for being straight. No one gets asked to leave venues because of being straight.

So in short, no one cares that people are straight, its assumed. But they do care if you are gay.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That's not really how nature works.

Nature doesn't understand purpose.

Nature never created a drive in an animal with a purpose in mind.

Drives evolve on their own and lead to behavior, and if that behavior has a positive outcome (children that become parents), the drive that lead to the behavior will be carried to future generations.

Assigning a purpose to sex requires the uniquely human ability to conceptualize and the human inclination to do so.

Humans are tool makers.

To make tools we assign purpose to objects, and even people, so that they can become useful in ways they were not previously.

We even go so far as to modify people (especially ourselves) and things so that they are better suited to a particular purpose.

We educate our children, paint our faces, wear clothing, make use of fire, domesticate animals, create complex machines, build shelters, gather into groups and more so that purposes, once conceived, can be realized.

Assigning purpose, like sex, is an innate human drive.

This is where the homosexuality conflict comes from.

Homosexuality, for everyone except the homosexuals, serves no purpose.

This in itself doesn't necessarily make homosexuality wrong, but it does make it a useless activity.

As humans, we are driven to discard all the things (and people) for which no purpose can be found.
This is simply not true. The MAIN evolutionary success of humans lies in our collaboration, our communication and our connection. Our capacity for things like love, empathy and such very much serve a survival purpose.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:49 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Because of history for many. But also to be part of community and society in a very real and accepted way. Hets don't often see this because they are used to seeing it everywhere. You show up at the company holiday party with your spouse. The President of the United State's wife gets her own title. Astronauts spouses are interviewed. Family life is one of the first topics of small talk when you meet someone...

"Straights" out there don't have to announce anything as this is deemed "normal".

Old 08-30-2019, 05:39 AM

3,074 posts, read 1,305,630 times
Quote:

This in itself doesn't necessarily make homosexuality wrong, but it does make it a useless activity.

As humans, we are driven to discard all the things (and people) for which no purpose can be found.
I believe God had some good purpose for it. We may not want to know because perhaps this world doesn’t exist anymore or is a much worse place without homosexuality. There may be some sort of horrible consequence of 100% of civilization being heterosexual

Old 08-30-2019, 05:46 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,228,745 times
Quote:

I think there is more purpose to life than having children. You could say the same about marriages between people who cannot have children or elect not to have children. Loving partnerships are important regardless of whether there is a child born of them. Besides, many homosexual couples have children, either adopted or parented by one of them, and are loving parents.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,403,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think there is more purpose to life than having children. You could say the same about marriages between people who cannot have children or elect not to have children. Loving partnerships are important regardless of whether there is a child born of them. Besides, many homosexual couples have children, either adopted or parented by one of them, and are loving parents.

Precisely. Reps to you.

We, as humans, do tons and TONS of things that are "useless" from a biological or evolutionary standpoint. That argument dies before it ever even gets off the launch pad.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Is it something to be ashamed of? Proud of? Or neither of those?
I don't care if someone is gay. Not even a little bit.

I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of because being gay isn't a choice. It'd be the same as being ashamed for having blue eyes or for being only 5'2" tall. You can't help being gay...you just ARE.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:09 AM

21,165 posts, read 19,761,393 times
I’m not gay, but if I were I think I would feel ashamed that I couldn’t appreciate women sexually. Being attracted to a duplicate of myself rather than a complement would be very confusing.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:25 AM

15,868 posts, read 6,569,892 times
Homosexuality is part of nature. Many animal species (over 1,000) have been observed engaging in homosexual behavior. I think humans are the probably the only species that finds it offensive. It's got some purpose or else it would have died off. We just don't know what that is yet.

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-scient...sexuality.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies