Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 06:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
4 have hit the U.S since he took office and he never heard of them, lol.
Which 4 cat 5 hurricanes have hit the US since he took office?

Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Matthew 2016 Landfall FL panhandle

Irma 2017 FL west coast

Maria 2017 Puerto Rico

Michael 2018 FL Panhandle

These were all Cat 5 storms

Old 09-02-2019, 07:10 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
From a guy with a decent sized house in wpb FL nonetheless

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news...11fa676fd681b6

President Donald Trump said Sunday that he's "not sure that (he's) ever even heard of a Category 5" hurricane, despite several such storms having threatened the US since he took office.

"We don't even know what's coming at us. All we know is it's possibly the biggest. I have -- I'm not sure that I've ever even heard of a Category 5. I knew it existed. And I've seen some Category 4's -- you don't even see them that much," Trump said at a briefing with officials at FEMA's headquarters in Washington, DC.

"But a Category 5 is something that -- I don't know that I've ever even heard the term other than I know it's there. That's the ultimate, and that's what we have unfortunately," he added, in reference to Hurricane Dorian.

The comments from the President came just before Dorian, a dangerous Category 5 storm, made landfall on the Abaco Islands in the Bahamas. The storm is the most recent of four Category 5 hurricanes to threaten the US since Trump assumed the Oval Office.

In September 2017, nearly eight months into Trump's presidency, Hurricane Irma, one of the strongest Atlantic basin hurricanes ever recorded outside the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, impacted at least nine US states. That same month, Hurricane Maria devastated the US territory of Puerto Rico, leaving behind an island that is still struggling to recover.

Last October, Hurricane Michael, which was originally designated as a Category 4, barreled into the Florida Panhandle as the third Category 5 hurricane to blast the US since Trump took office.
Well, I mean, this is only the 5th Cat 5 storm in the past 4 years, so, yeah.......

Old 09-02-2019, 07:14 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Its seems clear to me Trump is saying that these storms don't hit the US as a 5 which is basically true.

Michael was originally designated 4 and later long after hurricane season was over changed to hitting FL as a 5 for about an hour. I can see why he might not remember that or even know it. I live in FL and didn't know until I looked it up.

In any case, people in the path of the storm only care what category it is when it makes landfall near them and starts impacting them. We aren't sitting around waiting on weather forecasts from the President.

If his hyperbole makes people take local instructions on safety precautions more seriously good for him.
Transplants - don’t know. We natives grew up with them. He has owned property for years in Fl. He most certainly knows but his mind no longer putting two and two together. That is obvious.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Its seems clear to me Trump is saying that these storms don't hit the US as a 5 which is basically true.

Michael was originally designated 4 and later long after hurricane season was over changed to hitting FL as a 5 for about an hour. I can see why he might not remember that or even know it. I live in FL and didn't know until I looked it up.

In any case, people in the path of the storm only care what category it is when it makes landfall near them and starts impacting them. We aren't sitting around waiting on weather forecasts from the President.

If his hyperbole makes people take local instructions on safety precautions more seriously good for him.
Here we go again -- it is clear to you that Trump is saying -- then why doesn't he say that......

Whenever one of you have to explain what he clearly means -- it most clearly means he isn't being clear.

This is not a difficult concept.

AND --- at the time he said it - there was NO model, forecast, prediction that Dorian would hit the USA as a 5 none at all.

Just stop.

Admit it...in his need to be relevant he says STUPID things. He does.

You can still support his policies, you can still vote for him but explaining what he meant is not necessary.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:21 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Trumpettes swore to defend and deflect to the end - simple

Old 09-02-2019, 07:25 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
not all people know about hurricane, when they live in nyc and can flay away when ever. there is people on the gulf coast that dont know about cat 5, the ONLY purpose of this tread is because of the hate the media has for trump.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
not all people know about hurricane, when they live in nyc and can flay away when ever. there is people on the gulf coast that dont know about cat 5, the ONLY purpose of this tread is because of the hate the media has for trump.
Here's the thing -- and it is kind of a big thing...he's not all people, he's the PResident of the USA. The fact you don't expect more from him is sad.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:35 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here we go again -- it is clear to you that Trump is saying -- then why doesn't he say that......

Whenever one of you have to explain what he clearly means -- it most clearly means he isn't being clear.

This is not a difficult concept.

AND --- at the time he said it - there was NO model, forecast, prediction that Dorian would hit the USA as a 5 none at all.

Just stop.

Admit it...in his need to be relevant he says STUPID things. He does.

You can still support his policies, you can still vote for him but explaining what he meant is not necessary.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:36 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Trumpettes swore to defend and deflect to the end - simple
I know, and to a point where it's embarrassing.

Last edited by ipaper; 09-02-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies