Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 06:04 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wow, you show real promise. And I mean that sincerely.

Even if natural law feels silly to you at this point understanding that the government can't grant nor take away rights is a great first step. I'd say 98% of the population doesn't recognize this basic concept.

Perhaps, for the time being, you could simply stand against the social contract and that in itself eliminates the legitimacy (at least for you and your weight as an individual to prop up a social construct) of government?

As an anarchist I don't claim to have any solutions to the problems of life. Statists hate that because they are used to running to the government to rule on everything (it's as if all our lives are an episode of the Brady Bunch where Mike & Carol must solve the divide between the boys vs. girls).

Perhaps just proclaiming that you are born free from contractual obligation and no man has a legitimate right to rule over you is enough? That's the starting point and if anyone can build on that, without violating rights, they are free to do so.

Being confused, lazy, unable to reconcile, or just plain mean isn't a very good justification for infringing on natural rights. The thing is there is no good justification at all but most folks will violate at the first sign of inconvenience.

That does get us back to this wedding story. If we have to play pretend for each other when we are out and about (meaning they must serve the couple) for the sake of convenience or to "play nice" that's not a productive step to getting to a place where we actually play nice because we not only want to...but it benefits us.
This is a great example of how civil discourse is supposed to work. Respectful and high-minded. Thank you.

If anything, I am more sympathetic to an agorist mindset than an anarchist one, but I’ve a lot of years and a lot of thinking ahead. They’re certainly *******s for denying the venue, and I think it’s illegal, but we all know love won’t be stopped. They’ll get married either way.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:19 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
As individuals, we are and should be allowed to discriminate in everything that concerns us personally. And the criteria are our own. Whether it is something that the other side is or isn't born with. Whether it is someone's age, race, intelligence, quirks or something else. Doesn't matter. The choice is ours and so are the consequences. Freedom of association reigns supreme in private life, and so it should.

However, once we take an active part in society through business, employment, membership in organizations or organizing, we have to follow its social contract, which includes compliance with the law. The law banning businesses to discriminate based on race is not here to change anyone's opinion - like, for instance, to make people not racist – it is here simply to ensure that people aren't banned from participation based on their own race. The choice here cannot be ours because the consequences aren't only ours.

People are still discriminated against based on other things - for instance, based on looks in night clubs - and life will never be fair, it seems. On the other hand, even some businesses have expectations related to how one should look. And looks can be changed, unlike race.
I think you missed my point.

I don't think anything can PREVENT racism. However, free market punishes prejudice of any kind and instead builds an environment where all people compete equally regardless of their background. The explanation is simple – any business that refused to serve certain customers would earn less profit than a more tolerant rival. If you refuse to hire the most competent job applicant due to their race, gender, sexuality etc then they will work for your competitors or set up their own business and undercut you.

You certainly made some valid points. However, I feel obligated to caution against looking to government to combat racism.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:38 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No, these illegal aliens won't assimilate, speak proper English when they can't even speak their native language properly. If they owned a business, they are too ethnocentric to hire non-Hispanics.

I don't want foreigners coming here and owning businesses anyway. I don't want them at all. It just increases the number of people with an immigrant mentality like yours, that immigrants are better and that there should be wide open borders forever.
Historically, in North America, it has been the immigrants and the first generation that has been the best at entrepreneurship. And employ other Americans.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:40 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Historically, in North America, it has been the immigrants and the first generation that has been the best at entrepreneurship. And employ other Americans.
I have read something like this in The Economist, but I have failed to find the actual article. Then again, it was probably a dozen years ago.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:43 PM

1,203 posts, read 669,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think you missed my point.

I don't think anything can PREVENT racism. However, free market punishes prejudice of any kind and instead builds an environment where all people compete equally regardless of their background. The explanation is simple – any business that refused to serve certain customers would earn less profit than a more tolerant rival. If you refuse to hire the most competent job applicant due to their race, gender, sexuality etc then they will work for your competitors or set up their own business and undercut you.

You certainly made some valid points. However, I feel obligated to caution against looking to government to combat racism.
So you think bank redlining should be legal or allowing landlords to discriminate against tenants due to age, gender, religion, or race. How in any way does that improve our current society?

Old 09-03-2019, 06:45 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
So you think bank redlining should be legal or allowing landlords to discriminate against tenants due to age, gender, religion, or race. How in any way does that improve our current society?
It is not about "should" at all. I am simply pointing out how "free market" can take care of all racism and discrimination.

Key point "any business that refused to serve certain customers would earn less profit than a more tolerant rival. If you refuse to hire the most competent job applicant due to their race, gender, sexuality etc then they will work for your competitors or set up their own business and undercut you."

Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Immigrants use more welfare than non immigrants. I never worked for a immigrant especially from the third world and wouldn't want to anyway.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Yeah how does having nice neighborhoods, lower crime and good property values improve anything?

Old 09-03-2019, 06:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is not about "should" at all. I am simply pointing out how "free market" can take care of all racism and discrimination.

Key point "any business that refused to serve certain customers would earn less profit than a more tolerant rival. If you refuse to hire the most competent job applicant due to their race, gender, sexuality etc then they will work for your competitors or set up their own business and undercut you."
Yeah, I'm not saying we should do away with all discrimination laws. On the contrary, I think they're needed. But if mtl1 owns a shop - I want to know who he's not going to serve so I can spend my money some other place.

And having seen racism as part of a mixed couple, I know how disgusting people can be.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's not the point. If there's the only store in town and I'm hungry, I will go there and buy something.

By the equal accommodations law, that store owner, even if she or he is a bigot and hates my guts, is not only obliged to not discriminate against me based on who I am, but they will take my money, and give me my damn food.

A couple of Supreme Court decisions have affirmed that right.

If I tell you to leave my store no reason given you have to leave. If I tell you to leave my store because you have a funny haircut you have to leave. I think it's a bit absurd that if someone doesn't want to provide you service because of their religious beliefs they are going to run afoul of the law just because you are protected class. You shouldn't have anymore rights than the guy with the funny haircut.

Furthermore sounds like a golden opportunity to put up your own store across the street. If you can;t compete in that market I'm not sure why you want to live there to begin. If everyone in a town was hostile towards me I'm packing my bags and leaving.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-03-2019 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies