Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

I wonder why Hungary is not popular with humans? Why are so many leaving this new Right Wing Paradise and going to "liberal" EU countries?

"The country’s nativist prime minister, Viktor Orbán, said it was conceivable that Hungary, with a population of just under 10 million that is shrinking due to low birthrates and emigration of Hungarians to EU states further west, could simply disappear.

It’s not hard to imagine that there would be one single last man who has to turn the lights out,” he said at the opening of the conference on Thursday."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gration-policy

It's sorta humorous that a government has to tell people to "make love" more often....as if people are going to accept the responsibility because some Right Wing Nut told them to?? Would you have kids if Trump told you to do so???

This sounds like old Mother Russia when she needed to make more cannon fodder.

Maybe he should force Hungarians not to leave for more liberal pastures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 07:09 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Hungary is a great country. The population size is not an issue. The key is not being overrun with illegals.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Hungary has a emigration crisis.

It is my understanding that Hungarians leave for better economic opportunities, elsewhere.
About 10% of the population work outside Hungary creating labor shortages within Hungary.

Germany has long used the threat of increased Hungarian labor and/ or building/ expanding plants in Hungary to temper labor negotiations.

BMW recently announced plans to build an assembly plant in Hungary due to cheaper labor costs and employer friendly policies. They join Daimler, Audi,Bosch, Lego, Samsung, etc.

Recent changes in Hungarian labor laws require employees to work up to 400 hours of OT and employers can legally defer paying them straight time for the OT for 3 years. This law supersedes all collective bargaining agreements.

On the flip side, Hungary has been forced to increase Minimum Wages to mitigate outbound emigration. Wages are up 40% since 2011. As wages increase, so does the cost of living.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-06-2019 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 08:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Hungary is a great country. The population size is not an issue. The key is not being overrun with illegals.
Hungary is not usually the intended destination for inbound migrants.

Unlike the US, Hungary imposes harsh consequences on employers who hire unauthorized workers.

Hungary seems to be in a Catch 22. It does not welcome inbound migrants while it continues to lose a substantial percentage of their working age population to other countries with better economic opportunities.

There are Hungarian- Americans with dual citizenships, owning modest property in both countries. As I understand it, many plan to retire in Hungary and “ live like kings” on US pensions and Social Security. Their property ownership entitles them to healthcare at no incremental cost so the loss of Medicare is not an issue.

They seem to accept multi- bed hospital wards with shared baths and prefer poly clinics to the US model of private rooms/ baths and one size fits all hospitals. No two countries implement Universal Healthcare the same way.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I wonder why Hungary is not popular with humans? Why are so many leaving this new Right Wing Paradise and going to "liberal" EU countries?

"The country’s nativist prime minister, Viktor Orbán, said it was conceivable that Hungary, with a population of just under 10 million that is shrinking due to low birthrates and emigration of Hungarians to EU states further west, could simply disappear.

It’s not hard to imagine that there would be one single last man who has to turn the lights out,” he said at the opening of the conference on Thursday."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gration-policy

It's sorta humorous that a government has to tell people to "make love" more often....as if people are going to accept the responsibility because some Right Wing Nut told them to?? Would you have kids if Trump told you to do so???

This sounds like old Mother Russia when she needed to make more cannon fodder.

Maybe he should force Hungarians not to leave for more liberal pastures?
Handmaid's Tale is almost here.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:46 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
As if growing populations are always a good thing...

Resources on this planet are limited.

The mass importation of 3rd World immigrants/refugees into Western Europe has been an unmitigated disaster, plain and simple.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:48 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
There's zero chance of illegals moving to a poor, backward dictatorship like Hungary, when wealthy democracies are right next store.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The mass importation of 3rd World immigrants/refugees into Western Europe has been an unmitigated disaster, plain and simple.
Then why does Germany have a great economy, near-zero unemployment, and record low crime? Germany is also the most admired country on the planet.

The same people who say Germany is an "unmitigated disaster" are those who say California is an "unmitigated disaster". They're brainwashed and have never traveled. They're just parroting silly political arguments, i.e. California must be a disaster because it leans progressive, Germany must be a disaster because they embrace, rather than demonize, migrants.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:58 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Then why does Germany have a great economy, near-zero unemployment, and record low crime? Germany is also the most admired country on the planet.

The same people who say Germany is an "unmitigated disaster" are those who say California is an "unmitigated disaster". They're brainwashed and have never traveled. They're just parroting silly political arguments, i.e. California must be a disaster because it leans progressive, Germany must be a disaster because they embrace, rather than demonize, migrants.
Considering the rise of AfD in Germany, I don't think so...

One in two Germans against increased migration, study says:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/jus...on-study-says/

Not to mention that majority of migrants remain unemployed if I remember correctly, so contribute very little to Germany economically. Not to mention violent crimes and rapes skyrocketing due to the "migrant crisis."

Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Considering the rise of AfD in Germany, I don't think so...
Why would Germany be a "disaster" because they have a minor right wing party? What parliamentary democracy doesn't have a right wing party? It isn't like they have a chance in hell of winning a Parliamentary majority; they're only popular in the "Alabama" of Germany; rural parts of the backward East.

Quote:
One in two Germans against increased migration, study says:
OK, and? Germany has twice the immigration rate of the U.S., so I don't blame half of Germans for not wanting to increase it further (and I'm actually surprised half of Germans want even higher immigration). I don't want higher immigration either, doesn't mean Germany isn't a smashing success.
Quote:
Not to mention that majority of migrants remain unemployed if I remember correctly, so contribute very little to Germany economically. Not to mention violent crimes and rapes skyrocketing due to the "migrant crisis."
No. This is all 1000% wrong and proof you're being brainwashed. Germany has essentially zero unemployment and record-low crime. In fact they have a massive worker shortage.

As someone with dual U.S.-German citizenship, I have never seen a safer, happier, more prosperous Germany. I also find it hilarious that some Americans believe Germany is "unsafe", while living in a country where maniacs take loaded military weaponry to Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies