Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal aliens tend to have large families and many live two or three families to a household so no, they aren't paying their fair share of property taxes to support our schools where's there are a lot of kids involved.
You keep making this claim, but there is no mention of it anywhere in the article. It seems like something you made up because it sounds like it might be true despite an absence of empirical data to support it.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:56 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
WTH are you talking about? He made it sound like white residents were making the statement and I corrected him by saying it was the social activist.

Where did I post that it was okay to say?
I understood you. Let me rephrase. They always make it about race because they haven't a leg to stand on.(not you)

Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Of course, if the plant was shut down then illegals would leave and presumably there would be a tremendous population outflow. I wonder what the economic impact of 50% of a local population vanishing virtually overnight would be?

I bet Mr. School Bus Driver in the article might rethink his position when he gets laid off due to lack of students in the district and has no other local employment options because local businesses are also laying people off due to lack of demand. With no illegal immigrant bogeymen around to blame, will he just angrily shake his fist at the sky?
Okay, did you not read the article? They received the second highest per capita of unaccompanied illegal immigrant children in the nation. They joined adults relative, sometimes ones they didn’t even know, already working at the meat packing plant - many of whom already had their own kids. Just as a point of fact, by the way, the average American family has 1.9 children per 2 adults, the average immigrant family (legal and illegal) from south of the border has 3.5 children per 2 adults, even though families in their native countries average 2.9 children per 2 adults - and none of that takes into account distant relative unaccompanied children that have been more or less forced on the family. This has resulted in an unusually high child needing education to tax paying adult ratio in this little town - translating into a potential extra high tax burden.

As far as he goes, he’s had his job for a long time, prior to the arrival of all the immigrant kids, if those immigrant children weren’t there the US citizen kids living on their parents farms would still need to be picked up. Besides, he is like most school bus drivers, it’s a part-time job that supplements other income.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I understood you. Let me rephrase. They always make it about race because they haven't a leg to stand on.
I haven't made it about race. I have made it about economics. I am still waiting for someone to explain what difference a student's immigration status makes to them when paying their property taxes.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:00 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
You keep making this claim, but there is no mention of it anywhere in the article. It seems like something you made up because it sounds like it might be true despite an absence of empirical data to support it.
If it were blonde haired children, perhaps you lefties would get on board

Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Okay, did you not read the article? They received the second highest per capita of unaccompanied illegal immigrant children in the nation. They joined adults relative, sometimes ones they didn’t even know, already working at the meat packing plant - many of whom already had their own kids. Just as a point of fact, by the way, the average American family has 1.9 children per 2 adults, the average immigrant family (legal and illegal) from south of the border has 3.5 children per 2 adults, even though families in their native countries average 2.9 children per 2 adults - and none of that takes into account distant relative unaccompanied children that have been more or less forced on the family. This has resulted in an unusually high child needing education to tax paying adult ratio in this little town - translating into a potential extra high tax burden.

As far as he goes, he’s had his job for a long time, prior to the arrival of all the immigrant kids, if those immigrant children weren’t there the US citizen kids living on their parents farms would still need to be picked up. Besides, he is like most school bus drivers, it’s a part-time job that supplements other income.
All of what you've said is anecdotal, except to the extent you tried to apply national averages of immigrants (conflating illegal and legal) to Nobles County without any basis to do so.

Nobles County MN population in 1984 was 21,840. In 2017 it was 21,944 - an increase of 104. According to US News, Worthington Senior High school has a total enrollment of 870 students with a teacher to student ratio of 15:1. This doesn't exactly scream overcrowding by illegal immigrants.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 09-23-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
I haven't made it about race. I have made it about economics. I am still waiting for someone to explain what difference a student's immigration status makes to them when paying their property taxes.
Read my post right above this one. Would you like me to also explain the difference in cost to educate the child of an illegal immigrant in comparison to the average US citizen child? The last average I read in professional journals was $3,112 per child - so slightly over 25% more per child. That is not even taking into account special education costs, and older illegal immigrant children, especially, tend to need more other types of services. The costs also vary depending on country of origin. Would you care to guess where the more expensive kids come from?

I can go into all that, if you insist, but I think it suffices to say, it is no small amount.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Read my post right above this one. Would you like me to also explain the difference in cost to educate the child of an illegal immigrant in comparison to the average US citizen child? The last average I read in professional journals was $3,112 per child - so slightly over 25% more per child. That is not even taking into account special education costs, and older illegal immigrant children, especially, tend to need more other types of services. The costs also vary depending on country of origin. Would you care to guess where the more expensive kids come from?

I can go into all that, if you insist, but I think it suffices to say, it is no small amount.
I would love to know where you source your statistics. Have a link?

Old 09-23-2019, 09:12 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Again, from a taxpayer perspective, the fact that "they shouldn't be here" is totally irrelevant. Your tax burden is the same.
Actually, no it isn't. Since property taxes are the main source of school funding in the US an influx of new students, from whatever source, without an expansion of the tax base pushes those taxes upward. More on that later.

Quote:
It says he has 50 years of farming experience, but I did not see a mention of some other form of current employment. Regardless, my point was aimed at the wider economy in the area not at this particular individual per se. I just used him as an example to illustrate it.
It mentioned he was still farming. In much of the rural US farmers are the bus drivers/contractors during the school year. That originally started to help them keep a minimal income stream during the winter when farming slows down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Your neighbors pay property taxes that fund the school. You're comparing apples with oranges.

We don't have unlimited funds. Our money should be going toward our own citizens - not criminals who don't want to wait their turn to come here legally.

I get that you don't care about Americans living on the street, but the rest of us do.
What many don't understand, or maybe realize, is that residential can't totally support the schools, in fact the common metric is 1/3 or less. That's why you need commercial and other nonresidential businesses to make up the large difference. That's also one reason why many school systems are in financial crisis, like around Pittsburgh. The steel industry and its associated business activities are gone with no replacement and the schools are trying to finance operations with a declining residential tax base.

It's also one reason so many locales push Over 55 developments. Those people will pay their property taxes and put no one into the school system all the while patronizing local restaurants and stores.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:15 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
All of what you've said is anecdotal, except to the extent you tried to apply national averages of immigrants (conflating illegal and legal) to Nobles County without any basis to do so.

Nobles County MN population in 1984 was 21,840. In 2017 it was 21,944 - an increase of 104. According to US News, Worthington Senior High school has a total enrollment of 870 students with a teacher to student ration of 15:1. This doesn't exactly scream overcrowding by illegal immigrants.
The high school is projected to be 1100 students within the next few years.

Here's an article that talks about the increase ...

https://www.dglobe.com/news/4625457-...ollment-update

Quote:
“They’re expanding dramatically,” Landgaard said, adding that within two years the high school is expected to have an enrollment of approximately 1,100 kids, where it is anticipated to remain static.

Board President Brad Shaffer, who filled in during Monday’s meeting for member Adam Blume, referenced next year’s sophomore class of more than 300 students.

“What scares me is that we didn’t see that coming,” he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies