Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:43 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because the article said there hadn't been an increase.

It looks as though that there are four school systems in the county. One, Ellsworth had a senior class in 2019 of about twenty students.

The school systems are not County based so the taxpayers in the town and surrounding area of Worthington, Independent School District 518, will be carrying the load, not the 8000 households in the Nobles County.

The 400 students were not spread out but in the one school system that encompasses Worthington.

Independent School District 518

One thing, or rather several things, you're ignoring is that these kids put strain on more than just facilities. You'll have ESL teachers and support staff that has to be hired. The pregnant girl will likely be in a parenting class. I'd bet that every single one of those kids are on FARM and not only get breakfast and lunch at school but also weekend take home food. The schools will end up being responsible for getting them winter clothing.
That you for the clarification. This is a well-written fact-based post.

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The majority are unaccompanied minors.

To be brutally honest - they need to not be let into this country and/or sent back to the country of their origin.

This country has enough of it's own expensive problems that we can't get a grip on - without importing 16 year old pregnant girls. Her health care and that of the baby is now on the US taxpayer. There isn't even anyone the state can go after for child support.
He's just virtue signaling. Pretending you care about illegal brown kids is the way to convince yourself you're a real moral person even when you're a douchebag in every other facet of your life.

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
For some reason you seem to be missing one of the main points of this thread. These are unaccompanied minors. They will not be adding to the tax base but they will be placing a greater burden on the school system.
Exactly!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:58 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
He's just virtue signaling. Pretending you care about illegal brown kids is the way to convince yourself you're a real moral person even when you're a douchebag in every other facet of your life.
Many times they have ethnic ties to illegal aliens also. They make excuse after excuse that they are a benefit to our country rather than a burden.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Why do you presuppose there has been no increase to the tax base and that there are materially more students than before? As I pointed out, the local high school's student to teacher ratio is 15:1, which is better than the national average. The article says that there are 400 additional students in Nobles County spread over all of the schools in the county and spread over 6 years. I don't see where this is some huge and crippling influx of students such that the taxes on its roughly 8,000 households are going to be materially affected.
The 400 students you so easily dismiss as no big deal requires hiring approximately 16 regular classroom teachers (approximately $919,000 per year in salary/benefits) and based on a 50% ESL rate a minimum of 6 ESL teachers ($346,000 per year in salary and benefits) so you are looking at $1.25 million dollar per year in additional expenses.

They don’t have classes of 15 kids per teacher - that ratio means there are 15 certified personnel per student in the school. Special education students and ESL students skew those numbers and it includes quite a few people who are not teaching kids in a classroom.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Are you sure you want to hitch your wagon to a group that says that white people shouldn't pay for people of color to go to school?

Let me give you your answer. Yes, this is exactly how they think. Wonderful people, aren't they ?

Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Let me give you your answer. Yes, this is exactly how they think. Wonderful people, aren't they ?
Read the article. At no time did anyone, other than advocates for the kids, say this or even hint it. You, like the writer, are assigning motive to people with no grounds to do so.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM

21,947 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Again, one's immigration status has no bearing on the taxpayer's school tax burden. You could make the same complaint about legal migrants and citizens. Do you get your torches and pitchforks ready every time a family moves into town or births a child?
I don't know how you can say this with a straight face. If they have extra students they need to hire more teachers, build more classrooms, pay more pensions. Are you serious?

Old 09-23-2019, 10:08 AM

8,343 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Quote:
Well, illegal children can't vote because (a) they are not citizens; and (b) they are not old enough. Moreover, I don't see any indication in that article that there are instances where 15-20 illegal children are living in a house. So it sounds like your fears and opprobrium are premised on "facts" without any foundation in reality.

From a taxpayer's standpoint, the percentage of illegal immigrants in a school is not relevant. Illegal immigrants pay property taxes, just as citizens and legal immigrants do.
Sick of the BS. They’re here “illegally”. They need to be deported ASAP. Don’t care what taxes they pay or don’t pay.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:09 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don’t know, are they illegals who live 15-20 people in a house and try to vote more money away from others?
Well, since undocumented immigrants can't vote, your asssertion is meaningless and foolish.

Thank you for demonstrating that xenophobia is predicated on ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies