Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

Here in S Cal I'm more worried about being hit by someone who doesn't even have a license to drive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
If you drink and drive you should not only pay a hefty fine but your butt should be in jail for no less then 5 years with no early release.

I had a close family member killed by a killer who was drunk and all the murderer got was a 250 fine and 2 years in jail.

He should be in jail for life or strapped to an electric chair for purposely drinking and driving and killing an innocent person.

Jail them all for a long long time and if they kill someone, put them in an electric chair and send a message to other killers that this is what you will get if you kill and murder another person because you have an illness and need to drink away your disaster loser life.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:13 PM

21 posts, read 25,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Jail them all for a long long time and if they kill someone, put them in an electric chair and send a message to other killers that this is what you will get if you kill and murder another person because you have an illness and need to drink away your disaster loser life.
So would you agree that someone who hits and kills someone because they were driving while not paying attention/talking on their phone/texting/putting on makeup, etc should get at least 5 years with no release as well?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
If you drink and drive you should not only pay a hefty fine but your butt should be in jail for no less then 5 years with no early release.

I had a close family member killed by a killer who was drunk and all the murderer got was a 250 fine and 2 years in jail.

He should be in jail for life or strapped to an electric chair for purposely drinking and driving and killing an innocent person.

I knew someone who was killed by someone speeding. Maybe we should strap them in the electric chair too? Maybe we should put people who speed 10+ mph over the speed limit in jail for 5 years as well... Oh wait, then you would be in jail right? Sorry for your loss, but don't be hypocritical. Drinking is only one factor that causes people to drive poorly. People are killed every day by people driving and talking on the cell phone, or talking to a friend, or just being a bad driver all together. Whats the difference between that and driving drunk? NOTHING.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
For those that have been "in" the system what is going on with the DUI laws in this country? Granted it is not something that should not be punished but for a violent or repeat offender to get out on little or no bond and someone whom is and has always been a good citizen to have to deal with $30,000-$50,000 bonds and numurous penalties as well as fines,many times even before being found guilty or going to court is against our civil liberties that our fourfathers fought for. Something needs to be done to look into the way these cases are delt with. The actual offerders need to be examined and that taken into account. Is this person a contributing member of society or is he a derilict? Does he make a good living or does he struggle? Imposeing large monitary burdens on the average public does not make for a better society. Just one more apt to comit crimes. Education and counceling would be a much better penalty. Please add comments. Whose making out here. The lawyers? Bailbondsman? Judges?
Just do a google search on "Drunk Driver Kills".

One drunk on the road, is one too many.
Most were contributing members of society. So were their victims.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Just do a google search on "Drunk Driver Kills".

One drunk on the road, is one too many.
Just do a google search for speeding kills. One person who goes over the speed limit, is one too many.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Just do a google search for speeding kills. One person who goes over the speed limit, is one too many.
And they too should be fined or jailed for their actions.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:06 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,529,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Thankfully I haven't had to deal with this but it is not because I am some angel. Driving is so pervasive in the US and in many cities they don't even try to give one alternatives. I would suggest that the vast majority of people in the US have driven when they shouldn't have. It's just that they weren't unlucky enough to get caught. That is the biggest thing that bothers me about the whole thing. It is basically all about luck or lack-there-of.

In some cities like Phoenix (I used to live there) probably close to 100% of the people you see out at a bar on Friday or Saturday are going to be driving after drinking. It is simply part of the "culture" there. I am not condoning it but there really isn't any other option. Public transit stinks and the cab service is terrible. If the DUI fines were used to build transit, I would probably agree with the increased fines. That would actually do something to reduce the number of people drunk driving. Instead, in most places, the funds are simply thrown in the general fund (i.e. it is a general money maker).

Where I live now this isn't a problem; I don't even have a car anymore. I can walk pretty much anywhere I want and, if need be, take transit or a cab. Much better than having to look over your shoulder or worry about how you are going to get home.
How about a designated driver that isn't drinking.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,529,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to be a dispatcher for the police department in the town I lived in, in Texas. On one night there was a two car accident, one was a drunk, one was a van full of a family. They kept calling me to send out MORE body bags because ONE drunk killed the ENTIRE family.

Personally I think the laws should be MORE strict. I would be happy if they posted the fact that the person has a DUI on their license plate should they EVER be allowed to drive again.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to be a dispatcher for the police department in the town I lived in, in Texas. On one night there was a two car accident, one was a drunk, one was a van full of a family. They kept calling me to send out MORE body bags because ONE drunk killed the ENTIRE family.

Personally I think the laws should be MORE strict. I would be happy if they posted the fact that the person has a DUI on their license plate should they EVER be allowed to drive again.
Maybe we should post on people's license plates when they speed too (if they are EVER allowed to drive again!) Speeding is just as dangerous as drunk driving and no one ever makes a fuss about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies