Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 09:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,896,383 times

Advertisements

In 2009, DHS reported white supremacy and other extreme far right movements were the US’s biggest threats for domestic terrorism. These remarks met with very harsh push back from the House and some media. Some took it so far as to imply the DHS position was providing cover for ISIS terrorists in the US, well because, you know, Obama was born in Kenya and is Muslim...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 09:41 AM

29,606 posts, read 9,820,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
There are nutcases out there. If you want to get into the underlying details then you have to look at the advent of 24 news and how for reasons of advertising and the accompanying revenue, their news is tailored to fit their target demographic. So you have a population that believes different "facts". Then you move on to the rise of the internet where there are all kinds of news outlets including the whacky. And the internet allows those who are most influenced by all of these factors to congregate and support each other. The result? A summer of riots and mob taking over the Capitol.
Well put...

I for one am something of a "news junkie," and I like your summary that is in part why I bother to read from many different news sources, local, national and international. Conservative and liberal. From Fox News and the WSJ to Aljazeera and NPR along with a few others in between. What I like to call the effort of "triangulating for the truth." To counteract the creep of confirmation bias.

I would only just add there is nothing that can be done about all the ways we can follow the news, or all the different ways people will process the news. That freedom is also important to preserve. There will always be the violent radicals, conspiracy theorists and numb skulls that any free society simply needs to keep in line. By way of the laws on the books that were put there to be rightfully enforced to maintain law-and-order for the rest of us.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
for sure.

and of what is known thus far, there's little evidence a large # of guns were present at all, and certainly not IN the Capitol building.

Maybe they'll find out about a lot more, and charge and successfully prosecute those people.
A little hard to know for sure, but knowing what I do about how easy it is to keep weapons concealed, like at the ready in the trunk of a car, I suspect the police and everyone else will never know how many guns were brought to the White House grounds that day. Either way, there is what we do know. Not wearing masks is another threat of sorts that these people seem wanting to promote as well...

"The Washington, D.C., police chief says at least six weapons have been recovered, dozens of people have been arrested and 14 police officers have been hurt so far in Wednesday’s pro-Trump riot.

The mostly maskless crowd stormed the Capitol earlier Wednesday as lawmakers were meeting to certify President-elect Joe Biden’s win. One woman was shot and later pronounced dead.

Police were in full riot gear. They moved down the West steps, clashing with demonstrators.

By 9:30 p.m., 52 people had been arrested. Four were taken into custody on suspicion of carrying pistols without licenses, one for alleged possession of prohibited weapon and 47 on suspicion of curfew and unlawful entry violations, Contee said.

Of those detained, 26 were arrested on Capitol grounds.

Authorities also recovered two pipe bombs — one each at the Democratic National Committee and Republican National Committee headquarters.

A cooler containing a long gun and Molotov cocktails were also seized at the Capitol. And six firearms were recovered Wednesday, in addition to three the night before, according to Contee.

Fourteen D.C. police officers were injured in the unrest, including two who remained hospitalized Wednesday night.

One officer suffered serious injuries after he was pulled into a crowd and assaulted, while the other hospitalized sustained significant facial injuries from being struck by a projectile, Contee said."

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/13...-capitol-riot/

Here's to successful prosecutions!

Old 01-18-2021, 09:54 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,040,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well put...

I for one am something of a "news junkie," and I like your summary that is in part why I bother to read from many different news sources, local, national and international. Conservative and liberal. From Fox News and the WSJ to Aljazeera and NPR along with a few others in between. What I like to call the effort of "triangulating for the truth." To counteract the creep of confirmation bias.

I would only just add there is nothing that can be done about all the ways we can follow the news, or all the different ways people will process the news. That freedom is also important to preserve. There will always be the violent radicals, conspiracy theorists and numb skulls that any free society simply needs to keep in line. By way of the laws on the books that were put there to be rightfully enforced to maintain law-and-order for the rest of us.
It would be nice if it were common knowledge that news media outlets are biased, as commonly known as cigarettes cause cancer. People might develop a "bias alarm" when viewing the news and they might come to understand why their neighbor has not just a different opinion, but different facts. The neighbor still might be seen wrong but at least there would be some understanding as to the reasons. That understanding could translate into less blame and social anger.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 2009, DHS reported white supremacy and other extreme far right movements were the US’s biggest threats for domestic terrorism. These remarks met with very harsh push back from the House and some media. Some took it so far as to imply the DHS position was providing cover for ISIS terrorists in the US, well because, you know, Obama was born in Kenya and is Muslim...
True, but of course the DHS is part of the deep state that can't be trusted either...

Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
It would be nice if it were common knowledge that news media outlets are biased, as commonly known as cigarettes cause cancer. People might develop a "bias alarm" when viewing the news and they might come to understand why their neighbor has not just a different opinion, but different facts. The neighbor still might be seen wrong but at least there would be some understanding as to the reasons. That understanding could translate into less blame and social anger.
Nice, but I'm not sure how many people don't know this about media outlets. They know what they want to hear in any case. Not a new topic for me anyway...

The unbiased truth about media bias. Possible?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-possible.html

What News Source Do C-D People Follow?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ce-do-c-d.html

Has the U.S. motto become ‘In Nothing We Trust’?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/elec...e-nothing.html

Just a few among the many threads I devoted to this topic over time...

Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 AM

11,403 posts, read 4,108,397 times
Quote:
One man, Lonnie Coffman, is facing multiple weapons charges after police say they found him in possession of five guns, eleven Molotov cocktails, a crossbow, smoke bombs and a stun gun.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...-rioters-court
Trump people. Trump supporters.

They're cop killers and dangerous.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:07 AM

39,934 posts, read 26,641,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
far right nutters....

Same as the far left nutters in seattle for the "summer of love."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lare-riot.html
Yeah, but expect the left-wing idiots to dismiss those that ACTUALLTY used weapons and Molotov Cocktails against innocent people, yet froth at the mouth over those that just had them and never used them. More deflection-count on it.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:09 AM

46,391 posts, read 27,254,906 times
Quote:
Now that I'm back, I don't mind trying to reply, but I'm not sure what I need to further explain that isn't simply enough put in my prior comments.
oh yeah.....

Quote:
I meant what I wrote...

We know that, you align with the leftist hypocrites.

Quote:
If it is the hypocrisy and criticism about how the violent BLM protesters were dealt with compared to those who stormed the White House, or if it is the make-up -- demographic differences -- between the two you are asking about, then maybe it's best you simply follow the news about all this.

I have been following, was "chop/chaz" conducted by those that don't like the government?

Quote:
Or if it were BLM protesters who had invaded the capitol, none of us need guess what Trump supporters would be saying as compared to those who actually did invade the White House. What about any of this is confusing to you?

Oh, there is nothing confusing, you are very clear that you side with those anti-trumpers/blm/antifa.....

I just called you on it and you don't like it. Why was/is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,587,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Ah yes, 4 posts in and we already get a case of whataboutism.
It's Pavlovian by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies