Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually all states are required to recognize the decisions made by another state. If you're married in Maryland, all other states are required to recognize that marriage, even if local state law would not allow the marriage to proceed there. In the old days, kids used to elope to states with lower age of consent statues to get married. All other states in the union are require to recognize marriages performed in Massachusetts and California.
Not at present. The Defense of Marriage Act signed by Clinton afford states which don't wish to recognize same-sex marriages officiated in other states the power to ignore. This law has not been constitutionally challenged yet but I have a feeling it will be in the not so distant future.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
So according you homosexuals keep their kids out of sports and only let them socialize with gays? In what demented world do you live? You're an inch away from being reported to flame bait posts.
Oh I see , Its ok to ridicule and jest about Christians and the bible but not the sacredhypersensitive among us! Lighten Up , I dont care who you are that was funny!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Actually all states are required to recognize the decisions made by another state. If you're married in Maryland, all other states are required to recognize that marriage, even if local state law would not allow the marriage to proceed there. In the old days, kids used to elope to states with lower age of consent statues to get married. All other states in the union are require to recognize marriages performed in Massachusetts and California.
Please list your source for this because I remember people who used to cross the state line to buy alcohol.. This doesnt mean that someone who was 19 from state A where the drinking age was 18, could go to a state where the drinking age was 21 would be allowed to buy alcohol.

From what I recall, each state could govern their own laws and are under no obligation to recognize other states laws if they are in direct violation of their own states.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Not at present. The Defense of Marriage Act signed by Clinton afford states which don't wish to recognize same-sex marriages officiated in other states the power to ignore. This law has not been constitutionally challenged yet but I have a feeling it will be in the not so distant future.
DOMA has no chance once challenged on a constitutional basis.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well if the constitution allowed slavery.. then what on earth gave them the authority to change that? afterall isn't the constitution the almighty law that directs whats right and wrong in society? or did the constitution change according to what is the right thing to do? Perhaps much like california's constitution is being changed to reflect what is the right thing to do?
Not once have I criticized Californias right to allow gay marriages in their own state. They can do what they wish. Many of us from the rest of the country recognize that California is way ahead of the country, or just to far out on the fringe to even be surprised by anything they do..

Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Oh I see , Its ok to ridicule and jest about Christians and the bible but not the sacredhypersensitive among us! Lighten Up , I dont care who you are that was funny!!!
What happened to turning the other cheek? What would Jesus do, oh self-righteous one?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Grow up! It was someone who actually had the guts to decide that what was going on is NOT right. THAT takes guts & conviction, I applaud that instead of meekly following what some intolerant homophobes try to push.
Excuse me? She posted a very factual statement and your telling her to grow up simply because she disagrees with your morals? Looks to me like she isnt the one that needs to grow up..

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
DOMA has no chance once challenged on a constitutional basis.
I agree but it stands for now. I can't wait until it's stricken down.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Excuse me? She posted a very factual statement and your telling her to grow up simply because she disagrees with your morals? Looks to me like she isnt the one that needs to grow up..
Yep that's right, I'm telling someone to grow up. Grow up & quit worrying so much about the actions of other people you don't know.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The judges in question are Republican appointees, hardly "liberal". The people were not robbed of their voice as she claimed- they voted for something unconstitutional and it didn't stand up to the challenge. There was no judicial activism here. The lady posted a very emotional statement but hardly factual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies