Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 07:25 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,525,121 times

Advertisements

I agree. I am in a similar situation minus the Zoom meetings. Our office was called back 5 days a week last year. My job requires no meetings. I never meet with clients either and rarely need to interact with coworkers. Makes no sense for many jobs to commute, park, walk to your office, turn on a computer just to do the same thing you could do at home.

After reading this article, I see the people complaining need to reframe their arguments though. Read this:

“With my team, not all of us go into the office on the same days so if we have a meeting, it’s going to be on Zoom, which is annoying,” said Maddi Perkins, a 26-year-old who works in the finance industry in Dallas. “It’s pointless. Even when we are in the office, we're not collaborating any more than we would just over Slack at home.”

They are apparently hybrid and what they are saying will jeopardize that too. In fact, a former Google HR Chief (among others) is predicting hybrid arrangements are eventually going to end too.

Google’s Ex-HR Chief Says Hybrid Work Won't Last

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...ork-won-t-last
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 07:26 AM

1,627 posts, read 965,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I will say this though...my wife is a stay at home mom, and when I work from home while the kids are at school, we are able to become closer, if you get my drift, during my lunch hour. That is the kind of perk you can easily get used to.
Whoa! Now that's just crazy! I hope you both mask up first. Otherwise get your jolly's on Zoom from separate rooms like a normal couple.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:27 AM

398 posts, read 209,950 times
It just makes no sense to drive to an office, burning up resources, to connect to the same internet you have at home.

In the old days the file cabinets, adding machine, copy machine and typewriters ect were all in the office but now these PCs can do it all.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:30 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,338,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://archive.ph/Vm1Sk

There are a lot of old school execs that believe that innovation and collaboration can only really occur in corporate real estate. In reality, There are no in-person meetings. Everyone stays in their individual office for 95% of the day except to eat and use the restroom. Makes zero sense.
We’re very sorry to ruin their Netflix binging, but it’s time for all the entitled millennials to come back to work. Do they want a paycheck…?

Signed: Business Owners of America

Old 04-04-2022, 07:35 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,727,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

The funny thing, is most of our younger team members are struggling with remote working. They would rather be back in the office, so they could hang out and work from the Starbuck's there, it's like a social thing.
I can see that aspect as well. My son (27) feels that way to some degree.

I'm 58 and would love to never have to set foot in my office again. But I will admit that back in the early days of my career, I worked for a few great companies that had tons of people my own age also working and I have really great memories of those times. I'm still professionally in contact with most of them and I wouldn't trade those experiences. I do thing the younger workers are going to miss out on a lot of that. Granted work is still work and drudgery, but I got to know some really great people along the way.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:40 AM

1,199 posts, read 737,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
We’re very sorry to ruin their Netflix binging, but it’s time for all the entitled millennials to come back to work. Do they want a paycheck…?

Signed: Business Owners of America
We're sorry to ruin the property values of commercial real estate but it time for entitled businesses owners and the elite to face reality.

Do businesses want workers? Smart companies will lure workers forced back into the office with full time remote jobs, leading business to struggle on filling open positions.

Signed: the workers and backbone of America

Old 04-04-2022, 07:43 AM

6,964 posts, read 3,161,551 times
I am fortunately well into my career with my peers where switching to remote was pretty easy since we all knew the score and the routines.

Initially I thought the fresh graduates and newbies would be at a disadvantage due to the absence of face to face, water cooler talk vibe, social initiations,..etc..but then I thought maybe not.

Kids these days grow up online anyway. They intuit this virtual communication stuff and probably have some innate perspective as the norm to take it in stride. So many people socialize and become friends, even marry, from online games or forums.

The one's who may find it difficult are people without computer/online access and experience. Who just don't know their way around social software.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:09 AM
Status: "Peace sells...but who's buying?" (set 19 days ago)

8,214 posts, read 3,672,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post

The one's who may find it difficult are people without computer/online access and experience. Who just don't know their way around social software.
Just watch...someone will make that in to a racial thing and then we'll all have to go back to the office full time.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:23 AM

4,355 posts, read 1,594,937 times
Quote:
Given most workplaces have been online for the past 20 years at least, you'd think this is an extremely small proportion of office workers.

Workplaces should be flexible. If you want to go in, go in. During summer vacation, I'll certainly be going into the office - three kids and working from home? No bueno.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:25 AM

43,751 posts, read 18,781,145 times
Quote:
I am fortunately well into my career with my peers where switching to remote was pretty easy since we all knew the score and the routines.

Initially I thought the fresh graduates and newbies would be at a disadvantage due to the absence of face to face, water cooler talk vibe, social initiations,..etc..but then I thought maybe not.

Kids these days grow up online anyway. They intuit this virtual communication stuff and probably have some innate perspective as the norm to take it in stride. So many people socialize and become friends, even marry, from online games or forums.

And they will be the ones doing manual labor where physical presence is needed...like mowing your lawn or cleaning your house, etc.

They are only restricting themselves by not taking advantage of all the opportunities out there to better themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies