Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 11:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times

Advertisements

We have eliminated the need for social distancing, masks are optional, and we may use conference rooms again. Still, there are no in-person meetings, because with the hybrid work arrangements, there are never many of the attendees at the office on the same day. For my team which meets weekly, there are only 2-3 of 6 in the office at the same time so we are still doing all of our meetings with Teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 11:52 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,294,427 times
A boss can hire an American working from home for $100,000 or she can hire an Indian worker working from home for $15,000.

A boss has no such freedom if she manages a hospital.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:41 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
\I'm sorry, but the only ones begging for a return to the office, either never figured out how to properly work from home (one of my co-workers refused to do anything more than a "dining room setup," and constantly complained how she didn't have an actual office, even with a spare bedroom to do so), or the need for office politics/water cooler talk in order to function and thrive.
I could post something equally as uninformed and say that the only people begging to stay in a remote work setting are bitter people who have no social skills.

But I won't, because it's not true. Just like your statement above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I've realized that working from home has made a new meaning of, 'working around the clock'... I hated having to work remotely, as I would end up not leaving my house during the week. If there's one thing I've learned from this pandemic is that I thrive with daily face to face interactions with others, and I'm not really extroverted.
Those are a couple of valid points. When I'm working remotely, some days I feel like I never quit working. Not every day, but some. If I'm in the office, I get up and leave at 5:30 and I'm done. When I'm at home, the trappings of the workplace are right there on the dining room table.

I've also noticed that I don't leave the house on the days I work from home. I don't go out to lunch or run errands at lunchtime as I often do when I'm in the office. I work through lunch many days when I'm at home. I didn't realize that behavior until I read your post. Something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Except it is happening. Maybe not in your area, but in my state, a lot of people began quitting their jobs when they were told they had to return to the office, even on a hybrid schedule. My job has people in the office today wearing masks, still social distancing, and are requesting to join in on meetings from their office, even if the conference room is 5 steps away. Also, just because you need to physically be in the office with office politics in order to function, doesn't mean we all do. Many of us including myself function much better without people constantly bugging us in person.
Wow, looks like I struck a nerve about working in an office setting. What parts of 'hybrid' and 'choice' don't you understand? I'm here to help.

Quote:
Ugh, so you're one of those people who randomly pop into someone's office and put the pressure on them?
I'm one of those people who works on strict deadlines imposed by third parties and who needs to be persistent to get the information I need to complete my tasks. What I can't function without is information, and when other people aren't forthcoming with it, it affects not only my ability to do my job but also the organization's fiscal health.

I've observed over the past 2 years that I get information more quickly when I'm asking in person. It's as simple as that. Whatever hyperbole you want to inject into that is your own fantasy and not reality.

Quote:
I mean I get it, some people like the office, and that's fine. But it's pretty obvious you were dying to go back because you couldn't function at work without a physically building and people to bother in person.
Yes, because you know me, my co-workers, and our organization's culture sooooooo well.

Quote:
But again, you were practically counting down the days, so I'm not surprised.
What the hell are you talking about?

Old 04-04-2022, 01:43 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I could post something equally as uninformed and say that the only people begging to stay in a remote work setting are bitter people who have no social skills.

But I won't, because it's not true. Just like your statement above.

What's uninformed about it? People that don't like working from home, don't like it for the following reasons:

- They need an office space in order to work/function
- They miss the office politics/water cooler chat
- They thrive off in-person interaction (A song and dance my job gave all of us when they announce our return to a hybrid schedule)

I'm a very sociable person and don't mind human interaction. But I noticed aside from my commute (which gave me more time to get things done since I'm not spending an hour round trip for driving), that working from home gave me more control of my surroundings. I can have it so quiet that you can hear a pindrop, or I can blast my podcasts or music. Either way, I'm getting work done without having those "HEY THERE!!" types of people barging into my office. Being able to wear comfy clothes and cooking at home for my lunch hour is also nice. It's also nice to be able to pop dinner right in the oven when I'm done instead of doing it after a 30 - 40 minutes ride home. Or on days I go to the gym, I'm getting there before 5:30, not at 6:15.

Quote:
Wow, looks like I struck a nerve about working in an office setting. What parts of 'hybrid' and 'choice' don't you understand? I'm here to help.

LOL please, I understood it just fine. And I've literally mentioned on this thread a few times that my job resorted to a hybrid schedule. I opted to go in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I don't have an issue going to the office once or twice a week. Gets me out of the apartment and a change of scenery. Having said that, I would've definitely looked for another job if I wasn't able to operate on a hybrid schedule. Unless your job absolutely requires a physical body to be present in order to operate, working remotely will get the job done just fine. And you didn't hit a nerve. Never have, never will. Trust me, I'm good.

Quote:
I'm one of those people who works on strict deadlines imposed by third parties and who needs to be persistent to get the information I need to complete my tasks. What I can't function without is information, and when other people aren't forthcoming with it, it affects not only my ability to do my job but also the organization's fiscal health.

I've observed over the past 2 years that I get information more quickly when I'm asking in person. It's as simple as that. Whatever hyperbole you want to inject into that is your own fantasy and not reality.

OK, never said you didn't have strict deadlines. My job has those too - newsflash - we all do! And no offense, but if you're feeling that you need to be persistent towards those people to get those deadlines done, I have a secret for you - it's the worker, not the location of where they work. My job and many other jobs have met their deadlines working remotely in the past two years. So sorry, but that's a load of crap. Maybe your co-workers and those in the third party companies you're working alongside with, have employees that can't function well enough remotely. But again, just because they can't, doesn't mean the system is broken. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The pandemic really revealed how many of these office type jobs can be done remotely.

It's not hyperbole, nor is it a fantasy. That flat out sounds like the issue lies with your co-workers, not a remote work environment.

Quote:
Yes, because you know me, my co-workers, and our organization's culture sooooooo well.

I mean, if we're gonna play that game, you assumed I didn't know hybrid schedules were a choice (even thought I'm literally operating on one), and that people had choices. And I know enough to know you don't do well remotely. And that's OK, just admit it LOL. It's not for everyone. Have you even talked to at least 10 people at your job about how they feel going back? I'm sure a handful of them enjoy working from home.

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about?

LOL it means exactly what I said. I'm sure you were one of the few complaining about having to work from home in the beginning and counted down the days to when you could return to the office. Not sure how much more cut and dry of a response I can give.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:08 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,713,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I don't understand why some people are so against a return to the office. I'm in my twenties, so I can confirm the younger people prefer to be in the office. I like the routine of getting up early and driving to an office, and then coming home after work is done. I've realized that working from home has made a new meaning of, 'working around the clock'... I hated having to work remotely, as I would end up not leaving my house during the week. If there's one thing I've learned from this pandemic is that I thrive with daily face to face interactions with others, and I'm not really extroverted.

And, commutes don't bother me. I live driving, which is something I couldn't do much of during the pandemic with working from home...

Some of you that are staunch advocates of full-remote working reek of entitlement... Just sayin'...

I'm in my fifties, and have been working full-time since I was eighteen (starting with six years in the Army). I've long since been done with commuting into the office. I personally don't have a problem with sticking to my hours as set, and walking away from my work computer when done.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:17 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,713,485 times
Quote:

Those are a couple of valid points. When I'm working remotely, some days I feel like I never quit working. Not every day, but some. If I'm in the office, I get up and leave at 5:30 and I'm done. When I'm at home, the trappings of the workplace are right there on the dining room table.

I've also noticed that I don't leave the house on the days I work from home. I don't go out to lunch or run errands at lunchtime as I often do when I'm in the office. I work through lunch many days when I'm at home. I didn't realize that behavior until I read your post. Something to think about.

I'm the opposite. Myself, I have no problem sticking to my set hours, then completely ignoring the little work area I set up in my house when I'm done for the day (weirdly enough, it's almost as if it becomes invisible to me until it's time for me to report in again.)

I'm more apt to do errands when I work from home as opposed to the office, because parking is typically such a problem at my office that leaving and trying to come back means you could be wasting a lot of time looking for a new parking place. And I'm more likely to work through lunch when I'm in the office than when I'm at home.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
A boss can hire an American working from home for $100,000 or she can hire an Indian worker working from home for $15,000.

A boss has no such freedom if she manages a hospital.
Our next door neighbor, and the one across the street both are from India, and both work for Amazon. I don't know how much they make but having bought homes at $800k-over $1 million I would guess that it's more than $15,000 or even $100,000.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:59 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why you people want to sit in your basement all day in front of a computer screen is beyond me. The time I had to "work from home" during the "pandemic" sucked the big one. I nearly quit. Thankfully I'm back amongst people again and away from the damned computer during working time. (and this post is coming from a person who is an extreme introvert)
Another great day working remote. Just returned from a 3 mile walk at lunchtime, saw a few deer and pair of Mallards. Now I've got the windows open in my office, enjoying the 50 degree spring air here in MI. Also spinning some vintage vinyl, a 1975 Colombia records pressing of Chicago. My two Cavaliers must find this music soothing since they are both sleeping soundly.

Only had two meetings today. We just wrapped up a MY23 program and will be starting a new one in a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies