Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
The American Christians you hate and bash all the time, they run charities all across the country, but I have yet to hear about a charity run by gay activists, except those distributing condons.
So..... please....
Even though your comment has nothing at all to do with the topic:

You look at homosexuality as not part of the world, don't you? I find that very strange.

Homosexuals differ from heterosexuals in their attraction to the same sex. That's the only difference.

Are you saying that homosexuals can't be christian?

Personally, I give my money to groups that are not affiliated with religions such as Mercy Corps, Doctors without Borders (French), Planned Parenthood and a few foodbanks. None of them are christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 06:35 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
The citizenry is not gay,
9 million to 30 million Americans are gay. Is that too few to consider?

Quote:
and in democracy, the majority rules (power to the people),
Perhaps your frenchness is getting in your way but the USA is not a democracy: it is a Constitutional Republic. In this country the majority's power is abridged regarding issues of fundamental rights and in California marriage is a fundamental right.

Quote:
therefore the tyranny of the minority is by definition NOT democratic.
Nor is that an issue here.

Quote:
In France the most atheist place on Earth where 90% of churches are museums, we don't want gay marriage.
Why should we care? Spain, a country far more religious than France has legal same-sex marriage.

Quote:
It's all about money, power, influence, not "equal rights". The gay mayor of Paris now wants to become President.
What does that have to do with same-sex marriage? Are you saying that the current hetero president of France didn't want to become president?

Quote:
Last time I checked, homosexuals as a minority formed a privileged socio-economic class in 2008, in the United States of America.
Source?

Quote:
Are American heterosexuals ready to pay more taxes so gays can "marry"? I bet most don't want, of course in liberal media it's all presented as a fight for "equal rights".
What does this have to do with anything relevant to marriage rights?

Quote:
God bless homeless Americans with no right to live in a decent home. This people really need help, not homosexuals.
Homeless Gay Teens - Information and Resources for Homeless Gay Teens Gay teens make up 40% of the homeless teens in the US, and 26% of teens who come out to their parents in the US get kicked out of the house. Tell me once more about the privileged socio-economic class that homosexuals make up.

Quote:
Mom forced to live in car with dogs - CNN.com
Cry me a river.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
TwiloMike - We're never going to agree on this. And citing the court's opinion to me is irrelevant because I disagree with their decision (as did three other justices). I think I have made my points pretty clearly. Some people will agree with them (those with my values) and some people will disagree with them (those with your values).
We certainly do disagree. What clinches it for me is that even though the 1948 decision by the same court was "radical" and "activist" when it created legal interracial marriages, today that decision is recognized as sound as anything else. Perhaps it will take time for people to see that this decision is just as sound.

Quote:
I must admit that your "separate but equal" argument is a good one. However that argument assumes that a same-sex marriage and parents is the equal of a heterosexual marriage and parent.
Scientific studies show them to be equal.

Quote:
I don't believe that two dads is the same as a mom and dad but if we argue on that point then we are going to start arguing religion.
Not at all. A physical family living in the USA and the effects of the sexes of the parents on the kids are there regardless of religion.

Quote:
Or more specifically, whether you agree with my religion or whether I agree with your secular view. I will admit I have a lot yet to learn in this life but one thing I have learned is that arguing religion is futile.

Thanks for the debate.
You're welcome. We're talking about secular law here, and at no point did I even attempt to argue or consider religion: it matters none in secular law. Marriage, as long as it is administered by the .gov is a secular institution.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:53 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
We certainly do disagree. What clinches it for me is that even though the 1948 decision by the same court was "radical" and "activist" when it created legal interracial marriages, today that decision is recognized as sound as anything else. Perhaps it will take time for people to see that this decision is just as sound.

Scientific studies show them to be equal.

Not at all. A physical family living in the USA and the effects of the sexes of the parents on the kids are there regardless of religion.

You're welcome. We're talking about secular law here, and at no point did I even attempt to argue or consider religion: it matters none in secular law. Marriage, as long as it is administered by the .gov is a secular institution.
That's the problem with this gay marriage debate. The opponents are including religion in their argument. The government is secular, there is such a thing as separation of church and state, and passing a law due to Christian beliefs would be unconstitutional. Stop forcing your religious view on everyone else! To me that shows a lack of personal belief.

This is not a religious issue, this is a human rights issue. Gays deserve the same human rights as the rest of us. I've said it before and I will say it again. We look back on history and find it hard to fathom a time when blacks sat in the back of the bus, and women could not vote. It is the same to not give gay men and women the right to marry and one day we will look back on this in shock as well.

Well some of us. There are those who still may think blacks should not drink from the same fountains as whites too.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
I don't see why people can't mind their own business. What business is it of anyone's in what another person does? Does a person being gay physically effect you? Are you all so weak minded it effects you mentally?

As far as marriage is concerned, I think the gov should stay out of marriage all together. Marriage is a religious thing, it should not be of concerned to the gov whether someone is married or not, treat everyone as their own person.

I am not a fan of gays, I do not like thier lifestyle and frankly, do not want them around me, but I am for their freedom to do what they want to do, I am not in legislating social issues.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:31 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I don't see why people can't mind their own business. What business is it of anyone's in what another person does? Does a person being gay physically effect you? Are you all so weak minded it effects you mentally?

As far as marriage is concerned, I think the gov should stay out of marriage all together. Marriage is a religious thing, it should not be of concerned to the gov whether someone is married or not, treat everyone as their own person.

I am not a fan of gays, I do not like thier lifestyle and frankly, do not want them around me, but I am for their freedom to do what they want to do, I am not in legislating social issues.
That's all really reasonable, IMO. But what is it about gay people that makes you not even want to be around them? Or maybe we can't get into all of that in this thread...I'm sure you can post about it in any of the 30 gay threads we've got going on this forum.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
That is exactly my point. Marriage from a legal standpoint is not about marrying the person you love. It is about marrying the person of your choice of the opposite sex, of age.
I see that you are married. Does your wife know your choice to marry her was not based on love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies