Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 07:01 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
End thread.

I am in favor of not requiring classes in this stuff for those who are not interested.
I agree. Why is it that a computer science major is required to take unrelated humanities courses whilst a humanities major isn't required to take computer science courses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 07:18 AM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I wouldn't say banned, but we should stop funding them. Evaluate degree programs based on their contribution to a successful career and future income stream. Those that don't prepare someone to do something useful in their lives should receive no grants or student loan funding. Schools shouldn't prey on students and saddle them with huge loan debts for useless degrees that offer no viable future. If you want to take easy classes, party for 4 years and get a useless degree-don't run up $100k in debt in the process and then whine for the taxpayers to pay your debt.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:18 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Thank you.

IDK why many American think the purpose of a University education is a work permit.
Because that is what it is for ?90?% of students.

All talk of intellectual curiousity and finding ones self is nice but not reality for the vast majority of students and the vast majority of colleges.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:21 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I wouldn't say banned, but we should stop funding them. Evaluate degree programs based on their contribution to a successful career and future income stream. Those that don't prepare someone to do something useful in their lives should receive no grants or student loan funding. Schools shouldn't prey on students and saddle them with huge loan debts for useless degrees that offer no viable future. If you want to take easy classes, party for 4 years and get a useless degree-don't run up $100k in debt in the process and then whine for the taxpayers to pay your debt.
Hey look.
That study has been done.
Seems like the major has a good track record and a good outlook according to the data.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/field-of-deg...-of-degree.htm

Old 05-25-2022, 07:27 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
I mean really, all they are are a way for feminists to complain about how EEEEEVILLLL men are and to sow discord between the sexes. Even in the like of "Women's study" what's the point? If women want to learn about women's history; good or bad, they can just as easily use their phones and google it. ironically despite being the same species feminists act like we're totally different
Have you ever stepped foot inside a college classroom? It doesn't seem like you understand the concept behind higher education.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:28 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
I mean really, all they are are a way for feminists to complain about how EEEEEVILLLL men are and to sow discord between the sexes. Even in the like of "Women's study" what's the point?
Women's studies programs should teach about traditional sex roles and the natural differences between men and women that exist in virtually every society that is known in history. People should understand what it means to be masculine versus feminine.

If you're going to teach the liberal/progressive stuff, then the least you should do is balance it with the conservative/traditional.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:42 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Women's studies programs should teach about traditional sex roles and the natural differences between men and women that exist in virtually every society that is known in history. People should understand what it means to be masculine versus feminine.

If you're going to teach the liberal/progressive stuff, then the least you should do is balance it with the conservative/traditional.
Im going to guess they do. What little history of it I began reading centered on a time when women were denied entrance to higher education as well as being forbidden or discouraged from taking particular courses. That would fall under traditional sex roles. Its kind of the point isnt it. I'm pretty sure most entry college curriculums require a basic biology class.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:44 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IDK why many American think the purpose of a University education is a work permit.
because it almost invariably is?

just guessing here.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:51 AM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Nope. Universities and colleges should offer degree programs that students are interested in. What I WOULD like to see is a mandatory disclosuer form from each college detailing the typical COST of the degree program, the % of students working in a career feild directly related to the degree and the mean, median and average wage for ALL students that graduated. Just to make it clear to the prospective student they should also detail how long it will take to pay back a student loan if employed at the average income for a degree holder from that school.
I agree with the above, although I doubt it will happen.

I don't support banning things like gender studies, if people want to take those courses, then so be it.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:53 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Not banned, but ineligible for student loans, grants, scholarships, etc. They're made-up degrees whose only purpose is to allow simpletons to claim they have a college education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies