Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 12:45 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,268,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
One does not need a gun for self-defense. And in those nations, if you truly insist on owning a gun for self-defense, you can get one, you just have to jump through more hoops, and will be unable to buy certain kinds of guns.

But it appears you haven't grasped the idea that civilized nations do not allow their citizenry the means to kill one another so easily. That's one thing that makes them civilized. The idea that everybody should be armed to the hilt is a barbaric concept. That's how primitive tribes think.

Trudeau did not shoot hundreds of people, which is the fear you stated earlier. Things like that do not happen in civilized nations like Canada.
Lol. What are you going to use to defend yourself when a violent criminal has a gun?

Violent criminals in civilized nations have no problem killing others. Unfortunately, folks defend and enable them and they get dumped back on the streets to do it again.

Who said anything about being armed to the hilt? I carry 1 gun and certainly won’t become a statistic due to a loser criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 12:46 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,977,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If one does need a gun for self defense why were they banned at Trumps NRA speech last week?
They weren't. There were TONS of guns in that room with the secret service, cops, etc.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
If one does not need a gun for self defense, why do the PM's of Canada and Australia use guns for self defense then?

No, you have it wrong. In CIVILIZED COUNTRIES, the CITIZENS don't allow the GOVERNMENT to treat them like serfs and take away their unalienable rights, one of which is self defense.
Bingo…hilarious how folks blame guns instead of the poor entitled criminals that use them illegally.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:48 PM

20,891 posts, read 9,595,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
If one does not need a gun for self defense, why do the PM's of Canada and Australia use guns for self defense then?
What a ridiculous statement.

Does Justin Trudeau own a gun? I doubt it.

Quote:
No, you have it wrong. In CIVILIZED COUNTRIES, the CITIZENS don't allow the GOVERNMENT to treat them like serfs and take away their unalienable rights, one of which is self defense.
The tendency for developed, civilized nations is for them to have increasingly restrictive gun laws. This is to help prevent the people from so easily killing each other. People in those nations are not afraid of the government treating them like serfs, because they are democratically-elected governments. Only in the US among developed nations do we have such a large portion of the population who is so utterly gripped with paranoia. That only 7% in Australia and 10% in Canada want looser gun laws demonstrates this dichotomy between the US and those other nations.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:51 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,322,050 times
Firearms are the ultimate form of equity, and equality. They're the one way I'd actually support equity.

To say nobody in power would ever get to the point where they would subjugate their citizens... you trust human nature that much? Imagine if the woke left in the US got total power.... Our leaders all over the world have shown the propensity for 1984 type behavior over the last 2 years. The fact Biden would even create an office of disinformation and staff it with a known liar... that alone is a red flag.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:54 PM

20,891 posts, read 9,595,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. What are you going to use to defend yourself when a violent criminal has a gun?
I have personally:

1. Been mugged in Newark, NJ in 1983 by 2 teenage thugs (these weren't armed, however).
2. Been robbed at gunpoint in Charlotte, NC in 1987 by 2 guys while I was working at night in a convenience store. I just gave them what they wanted. Then when they left I called the cops.

I am still alive and still do not live in fear of being a crime victim, and do not own any firearms, nor have any desire to. I pity those people who live in constant fear and feel the need to carry a firearm with them all the time. It must be a terrifying existence to be gripped with such constant fear and paranoia.

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
Quote:
One does not need a gun for self-defense. And in those nations, if you truly insist on owning a gun for self-defense, you can get one, you just have to jump through more hoops, and will be unable to buy certain kinds of guns.

But it appears you haven't grasped the idea that civilized nations do not allow their citizenry the means to kill one another so easily. That's one thing that makes them civilized. The idea that everybody should be armed to the hilt is a barbaric concept. That's how primitive tribes think.

Trudeau did not shoot hundreds of people, which is the fear you stated earlier. Things like that do not happen in civilized nations like Canada.
The key thing in many of the countries the anti gun crowd likes to bring up is they have high levels of social cohesion, and high levels of trust and confidence in police and social institutions. This lowers crime and violence, and therefore need for self protection and firearms bans or restrictions. The US has the opposite of "High levels of social cohesion, high levels of trust and confidence in police and social institutions" This is what is driving our violence up. This proves it is societal.

And whom can we look to for the reasons for the lack of social cohesion, and trust in the police and social institutions ? The very same people that want to ban or restrict firearms. This all comes back around on the Democratic party.

1,175 posts, read 554,277 times
Quote:
Apparently our pro-gun "friends" have never heard of Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, France, etc., etc., etc., where people are restricted from owning guns, but the government has never killed hundreds of citizens just for protesting.
Kind of missed the lockdowns they had during COVID eh ? A lockdown like that would never work in this country why - because our country arms it’s citizens and should remain that way. If libs don’t like it move to Canada . Wait , you live in Missouri (my home state), that is the wrong state my friend to be antigun . Good luck with your move.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:56 PM

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
Quote:
I have personally:

1. Been mugged in Newark, NJ in 1983 by 2 teenage thugs (these weren't armed, however).
2. Been robbed at gunpoint in Charlotte, NC in 1987 by 2 guys while I was working at night in a convenience store. I just gave them what they wanted. Then when they left I called the cops.

I am still alive and still do not live in fear of being a crime victim, and do not own any firearms, nor have any desire to. I pity those people who live in constant fear and feel the need to carry a firearm with them all the time. It must be a terrifying existence to be gripped with such constant fear and paranoia.
To each their own. These 500,000 plus individuals I'm sure have a much different opinion than you do. And I'm highly doubt they would GAF that you think they live in fear an paranoia.

https://datavisualizations.heritage....ses-in-the-us/

Old 05-31-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I have personally:

And next time you may not be so lucky.

Lol. It’s not fear. I’m simply not going to be robbed, mugged, or become a statistic. Less criminals won’t hurt my feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies