Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 03:56 PM

78,721 posts, read 60,918,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's not that Americans are dumb, it's the fact that the K-12 education/indoctrination system does not prepare young people for a life in a world based heavily on things like math and logic.
Considering my whole family is STEM and went through public schools....I just get tired of all this ridiculous stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 03:57 PM

78,721 posts, read 60,918,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
That is what is going on in the grocery store. Some products are not seeing price increases, the size of the container is getting smaller.
That's been a thing for over 2 decades.

But yes, in the current inflationary environment, it's likely more frequent of late.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:58 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,655,142 times
A Democrat idea for waht ? They always are the problem.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:10 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,655,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
That is what is going on in the grocery store. Some products are not seeing price increases, the size of the container is getting smaller.
McDonald's hamberguers today are 1/2 size of what they used to be in the 1980's $2.59 Big Value Pack combo.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:28 PM

17,501 posts, read 9,319,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Better yet, sell it by weight: $2 a pound. Dumb Americans won't know they'd be paying $12 a gallon.
It’s all about the perception and the Spin. This could work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
It’s a great idea however, I think that in keeping with the European nations that liberals look up to we should change it from gallons to liters and instead of calling it gasoline, we should call it petrol
Possible solution, but I read a new one yesterday.
“To lower the price of Gasoline - quit selling it”.

Perhaps Texas could help and just throw all the switches on pipelines that ship out refined gasoline and petroleum products. That would allow the Greenies to sample a couple of weeks with no Evil Oil.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:35 PM

11,161 posts, read 10,744,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It’s all about the perception and the Spin. This could work!

Possible solution, but I read a new one yesterday.
“To lower the price of Gasoline - quit selling it”.

Perhaps Texas could help and just throw all the switches on pipelines that ship out refined gasoline and petroleum products. That would allow the Greenies to sample a couple of weeks with no Evil Oil.
As much as it would cause some serious issues, I’d laugh hysterically if Big Oil all got together and just shut down production for a week or two with a statement that read “You don’t like petroleum now, but you’ll miss it tomorrow.”

Wonder how fast the “green” crowd would change their tune.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:46 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,502,841 times
Sounds about right if ole 45 was dealing with this price inflation. He always distorted facts to fit his narrative.
I deal in reality so I don't need a spin on the facts of distribution, productivity and how certain countries are playing the shell game with this commodity.
My state has high tax on fuel and roads. Everytime a bill comes up for consideration to lower those taxes...it's veto'd by the right. Reason: because they can. Majority rules. Spite.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:08 PM

30,159 posts, read 18,752,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just put on my Lefty Beanie cap and came up with a great idea.

With gas prices reaching record highs every single day with no end in sight I think Biden should mandate that the Nations gas stations start selling gas by the half gallon? Our Perception, Feelings and Emotions have been well played on by the Democrats and their ability to hype the Doom and Gloom of Trump and to downplay their own parties failings. It is all about Perception and Feelings with the Democrats and with a $5 per gallon average our Feelings are turning sour.

With the media on their side they should be able to sell this idea of "cheaper" gas to the masses and we can all feel a bit better about the economy, inflation and the future if fuel was $2.50 again (for a half gallon)...

I can hear the media now singing "Happy Days Are Here Again" as they dance around a gas sign with the price of $2.50 posted. Yeah but look at the details kids that is for half a gallon..

Will the Biden WH do this for a perceived "win" ?
Or maybe they will cut it with water?

Libs would assume that would make it "burn cleaner" and have less carbon emissions. Could be a liberal winning policy.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:58 PM

17,501 posts, read 9,319,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As much as it would cause some serious issues, I’d laugh hysterically if Big Oil all got together and just shut down production for a week or two with a statement that read “You don’t like petroleum now, but you’ll miss it tomorrow.”

Wonder how fast the “green” crowd would change their tune.
“Big Oil” (and small oil) drills, pipelines deliver, Refineries make the end product.
Remember the PANIC when the Colonial Pipline was hacked last year?
Production could continue, delivery could halt. The Petroleum industry is vast, complicated & has many players.
Any one of them shuts down and it’s a mess.

Check out the Pipeline Map in the USA. Look at the working refineries with their production AND where they are located. Texas & Louisiana on the Gulf Coast do most of it, scattered small refineries around the Country do some, but not nearly enough.

That’s why the closure of the Colonial out of Houston, for only 5 days caused such a PANIC.
The minute I heard about the Colonial, I called my family in the D.C. area and told them to fill their cars immediately.

It really would be a hoot to watch the Oil Haters go bananas.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:30 AM

29,872 posts, read 25,005,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Considering my whole family is STEM and went through public schools....I just get tired of all this ridiculous stuff.

That's great. Where's the rest of them? The country is going to need a whole lot more engineers than we are currently producing, although we've only been dealing with this problem (unsuccessfully) for many decades now. It's ok, we've done well enough poaching other nation's best and brightest with our cheap fiat, but that won't last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies