Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 10:47 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,929,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Yes, more charging stations. New ones will be better. You'll just have to trust me on that.

Biden and Co. are telling us we need to make the switch, but not all at once.

Yes, I should trust an anonymous lefty on the internet who clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

Give it up - we all see Energy Secretary Granholm and the Commander In Thief himself telling us if we don't like gas prices to buy expensive EVs which are not yet ready for prime time.

Doesn't sound "gradual" to most of us.

Which is why you will lose, and yet another Lefty scheme will be flushed down the proverbial toilet.

Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 10:48 AM

12,415 posts, read 6,513,558 times
I rented an electric car for a 4-day road trip. I spent more time charging it than I did sleeping.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...rging-sleeping

Old 06-10-2022, 10:53 AM

89,677 posts, read 45,318,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's common for some folks to be resistant when new technology comes along and the desire to stick with gas in light of EVs is no different. Time keeps marching on, though, and EVs will keep coming along. I mean, some people were resistant to the automobile, too.
EVs' short range and long charging times are a problem. I don't think that will change much in the next 5 years or so, or maybe even longer than that.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:55 AM

12,415 posts, read 6,513,558 times
Among the teething problems early adopters are having with EVs include.

1. Long, slow lines at fast charging stations.

2. Fast charging stations down or charging slowly.

3. Charging adapter heads being stolen for their copper content or just to have them.

I think battery EVs have a fantastic future, but the politicians have done us a huge disservice by ramming them down our throats with mandates and subsidies, long before the tech was mature and ready. Yes, doing so has jump-started the tech and infrastructure, but at what cost? Huge dollar cost and massive problems.

At present, they are really only good for localized commuting.

This is what happens when you let the federal government becomes so powerful that it picks winners and losers and overrules free market forces. The federal government shoved compact flourescent light bulbs down our throats only to find that the market embraced far superior LED technology. Same mistake.

Now they are shoving BEVs down our throats rather than allowing competition from hydrogen cells or even using natural gas powered cars, which have been around a long time. But carbon dioxide is a deadly poison donchaknow. It is not poison. It is plant food. But nope, cheap plentiful natural gas can't be allowed to be used to power cars...

Old 06-10-2022, 10:59 AM

6,505 posts, read 2,807,583 times
Quote:
True, which is why there's an effort being made at the federal level to provide funding to build more public EV charging stations.
- Yes, and who gets to pay for those "public" charging stations? But what about all of the Private stations? Landlords would have to put in a charging station for each unit they have. While a private homeowner can put in a port for $500-$700, an average Charging station they would have to put in is going to be $5,000-$10,000, not including any possible infrastructure upgrades they may be required to do.

Quote:
No more electric vehicles in a few more years? Really?
Well never say never. A few decades ago people bought Betamax recorders because they thought that was the way to go over VHS and I am sure we're saying the same thing about their "better" machines. Well not only didn't Betamax stick around, but we are also well past VHS and even DVDs.

But even if EVs aren't going anywhere, they are still not ready for "Prime Time". We are at least a couple of decades away from the technology and infrastructure being built up to make them a reasonable alternative to a majority of people.

Quote:
People who bought EVs over the past decade are simply going to throw them out?
Actually many are doing just that. The average battery costs around $10,000 to replace. It is often more cost-effective and cheaper for someone to "Toss them out" instead of putting the money in to replace the battery.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:01 AM

15,783 posts, read 9,644,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
The argument is they are clearly not ready for prime time and yet this Administration is saying "Can't afford gas? Buy an EV!"
I actually agree with that, although the few people I know with EVs love them. I don't know if I will ever have an EV. I'm 52 and never have bought a new car.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:01 AM

6,315 posts, read 3,021,083 times
Quote:
True, which is why there's an effort being made at the federal level to provide funding to build more public EV charging stations.
Which is grossly inappropriate. The government did not provide funding for gasoline stations, and it should not be providing funding for EV charging stations, especially when we are thirty trillion dollars in debt. We are broke!

Old 06-10-2022, 11:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 2,999,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The only way this elec car thing will work is if we have batteries we can take out and install easily and quickly like a drill. You swap the batteries like the Lp tank for your grill.
Given that they are as big as the car's chassis in some cases and can weigh up to 1,000 lbs, don't hold your breath.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:40 AM

7,165 posts, read 2,836,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
This article is quite lengthy, and dwarfs the size of this excerpt.

It also completely eviscerates any notion that this Nation is ready for "EVs".

Just a Leftist/Commie fantasy, promulgated to promote the Green New Deal fever dream and enrich government cronies who are heavily invested in this nonsense.

https://www.westernjournal.com/fan-e...-wont-buy-one/

Fortunately, the American people are not stupid:

Poll: More Than Half Say Biden Intentionally Letting Gas Prices Soar

https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/po...10/id/1073852/

The future is advanced, safer Nuclear Power.

This garbage will go the way of the do do in a few more years.

Wait until some family is directed to some seedy area to charge their vehicle and are targeted by muggers.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:40 AM

3,685 posts, read 1,648,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The only way this elec car thing will work is if we have batteries we can take out and install easily and quickly like a drill. You swap the batteries like the Lp tank for your grill.
I agree. Then we could charge one set of batteries and install a charged set without waiting.

I do this with my 18v drill. I have two 18v packs. There are five 18650 cells in an 18v battery pack.. However, there are 7,104 18650 cells in a Tesla battery pack! SEVEN THOUSAND!

The EVs of today are basically giant smartphones with wheels! Which means the dems want everyone driving a giant smartphone! They want us to believe EV's are the solution to global climate change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies