Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 11:42 AM

7,165 posts, read 2,833,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Yes! That's all we need. More inept, faulty charging stations.

Biden and Co. are telling us we need to make the switch right now. The Progressive from the article is admitting they're not ready for prime time.

Meanwhile, many (including the Civil Core of Engineers) are warning we may have to overhaul the entire national electric grid if we truly want to support all electric vehicles across the country.

And to the poster who thought it outlandish that I conflate corporations with communism: This entire scheme moves production capability to China. Electric Cars cannot exist without Chinese lithium for the batteries. (Wind turbines are also largely manufactured in China.)

The Chinese are commies, last I checked.
I don't recall the government providing public gas stations???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 11:47 AM

7,165 posts, read 2,833,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Among the teething problems early adopters are having with EVs include.

1. Long, slow lines at fast charging stations.

2. Fast charging stations down or charging slowly.

3. Charging adapter heads being stolen for their copper content or just to have them.

I think battery EVs have a fantastic future, but the politicians have done us a huge disservice by ramming them down our throats with mandates and subsidies, long before the tech was mature and ready. Yes, doing so has jump-started the tech and infrastructure, but at what cost? Huge dollar cost and massive problems.

At present, they are really only good for localized commuting.

This is what happens when you let the federal government becomes so powerful that it picks winners and losers and overrules free market forces. The federal government shoved compact flourescent light bulbs down our throats only to find that the market embraced far superior LED technology. Same mistake.

Now they are shoving BEVs down our throats rather than allowing competition from hydrogen cells or even using natural gas powered cars, which have been around a long time. But carbon dioxide is a deadly poison donchaknow. It is not poison. It is plant food. But nope, cheap plentiful natural gas can't be allowed to be used to power cars...
Charging stations will be like looking for a gas station with a working air machine for inflating tires. One out of five will work and there will be a line waiting to use it.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:48 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,104,472 times
Quick story. Last week I was camping in west Texas. At the camp ground there are electric pedestals for the campers to plug into for electricity. Well there was a big storm in the mountains and it knocked out the electricity to the whole area. It was about 6PM so the sun wasnt down.

This guy in a Tesla pulls into the camp ground and into a empty camping site. He gets out and plugs his car in. I guess he didnt know the power was out. We are all looking/laughing at him. I walk over to him to let him know the power is out and has been for about a hr. He is totally out of charge. He shrugged it off and said ok it should come on soon. I said , maybe, have a nice day. Time goes on, 9PM still no power. Storm is coming in now. Around 12am I go to bed, he is still there and still no power. 7-8am I get up, still no power LOL and he is laying on the picnic table. around 10am power comes on but he had to hang out for a little while to get some charge.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:49 AM

18,576 posts, read 16,009,190 times
Quote:

Poll: More Than Half Say Biden Intentionally Letting Gas Prices Soar

https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/po...10/id/1073852/

LOL Newsmax.

I mean, it's almost like the wingnuts have no idea the *world* is experiencing soaring gas prices. They also don't seem to understand the world is also experiencing high inflation. Neither do they understand the petroleum/oil industry or have a clue about decisions that were made years ago by producers, even before the pandemic, that have adversely affected them now, which is also a worldwide issue.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:54 AM

1,407 posts, read 1,014,172 times
You picked an EV with one of the SLOWEST charging times to prove a point? Congratulations. Me, I'm still waiting on my F150 Lightning. Hopefully I can get in on the 2023 model.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:56 AM

12,415 posts, read 6,502,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, and we are undermining our own industry by destroying ourselves to the benefit of China.
Consider this "rep" as the extremely limited rep algorhythm won't let me rep you again. I wouldn't mind if they loosened the rep rules just a little bit. No, you don't want somebody repping a post 500 times, but it becomes ridiculous when you cannot rep a person for making 2 amazing posts in a row.

You would think with it being 2022 and AI, the software could look at patterns beyond just a basic "if>then".

Then again, rep is meaningless, so there is that.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:57 AM

1,407 posts, read 1,014,172 times
Quote:
Yes! That's all we need. More inept, faulty charging stations.

Biden and Co. are telling us we need to make the switch right now. The Progressive from the article is admitting they're not ready for prime time.

Meanwhile, many (including the Civil Core of Engineers) are warning we may have to overhaul the entire national electric grid if we truly want to support all electric vehicles across the country.

And to the poster who thought it outlandish that I conflate corporations with communism: This entire scheme moves production capability to China. Electric Cars cannot exist without Chinese lithium for the batteries. (Wind turbines are also largely manufactured in China.)

The Chinese are commies, last I checked.
It's the US Army Corps of Engineers. And that's not surprising. Most of our infrastructure gets a C or below. We have many bridges that are on their last leg. Many cities need their entire water system reconstructed. But none of that matters as long as the military gets 500 new jets next yr.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:07 PM

2,135 posts, read 752,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's common for some folks to be resistant when new technology comes along and the desire to stick with gas in light of EVs is no different. Time keeps marching on, though, and EVs will keep coming along. I mean, some people were resistant to the automobile, too.
First of all, I have no problem with EV. People don't understand that EV is NOT ICE car. You need to treat it like your smartphone. charging it whenever it is possible. So, it means you need to charge it at night, when you are shopping...... You should not only charge it when the bty is empty. The long drive is a different story.

Anyway, I am not sure EV is here to stay. Will it be another Betamax or MiniDisc? Time will tell.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 9,563,096 times
On another thread outside of this specific sub-forum, the pro-EV folks who can’t understand why anyone would be hesitant about an EV blamed this author for not being better about trip planning and not fully understanding the range of her vehicle, which I felt was a little unfair. Most people are not enthusiasts and most people are used to gas being available pretty much anywhere, so the level of route planning needed to drive any type of distance is fairly minimal. So an EV is different and most regular people aren’t going to know to obsessively plan a trip based on where you can stop to charge.

I don’t really care much about the availability of EVs, but I do care when Democrats pass laws that more or less FORCE people to adopt them.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:13 PM

9,559 posts, read 11,311,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's common for some folks to be resistant when new technology comes along and the desire to stick with gas in light of EVs is no different. Time keeps marching on, though, and EVs will keep coming along. I mean, some people were resistant to the automobile, too.
New technology is fine. It's up to the buyer.

Government mandates and Central Planning are another matter entirely. They have a solid history of waste, fraud, and abuse. It would be far better to let the market decide what vehicles we'll have access to, vs. safe-jobs-for-life bureaucrats who have no skin in the game. No skin, but OTOH they have an active delusional system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies