Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 09:53 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,921,921 times

Advertisements

This article is quite lengthy, and dwarfs the size of this excerpt.

It also completely eviscerates any notion that this Nation is ready for "EVs".

Just a Leftist/Commie fantasy, promulgated to promote the Green New Deal fever dream and enrich government cronies who are heavily invested in this nonsense.

Quote:
As reported in NJ.com, Dreibelbis borrowed her parents’ 2019 Chevrolet Bolt for the trip. The 200-mile trip there was troubled by scarce, broken and slow electric vehicle charging stations.

At one rest stop in Maryland, three chargers failed, and even the one that worked had an out-of-order message on its screen.

When they function, a Level 3 “fast” charger takes about an hour to give the battery a 100-mile range.
Others are slower: a Level 1 plug for home outlets can take up to 10 hours, and a Level 2, found in public parking lots, can take up to four hours — if a charger can even be located. That turned out to be the next hurdle.

When she was trying to charge up in Arlington, Google directed Dreibelbis to a charger that turned out to be inaccessible, as it was in a private condominium complex. Then Google sent her to a public garage that charged $11 for entry. “Frustrated, I surrendered the money. They only had Level Two chargers, so it took two and a half hours of reading a book in the cold until the car had enough power,” she wrote.

On the way back to her parents’ home, she barely made it.

“Thirty minutes from my house, a ‘Low Battery – Charge Vehicle Soon’ message surfaced. Confident in the 40 miles of buffer on top of what I needed to get home, I continued.

“But the cold December weather was draining the battery faster than I anticipated. Fifteen minutes later, the warning message upgraded to a mysterious ‘PROPULSION POWER IS REDUCED.’ Then, just one mile from home, the final blow: ‘OUT OF ENERGY, CHARGE VEHICLE NOW.’”

This trip occurred in some of the most heavily populated blue regions of the country. If she encountered such maintenance and availability obstacles there, imagine the problems flyover country would experience.

Dreibelbis decided, “I’m not ready to put my own money down for one. I’d like to see the states use the federal funding as a proof point that stress-free EV trips are possible..."
https://www.westernjournal.com/fan-e...-wont-buy-one/

Fortunately, the American people are not stupid:

Poll: More Than Half Say Biden Intentionally Letting Gas Prices Soar

Quote:
More than half — 53% — of voters say they believe the Biden administration is intentionally letting gas prices increase to make Americans use less fossil fuels, according to a new poll by Convention of States Action and The Trafalgar Group.

56.5% of independents say they believe it, compared to 37.6% who say the don't. Just under 6% were uncertain.

https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/po...10/id/1073852/

The future is advanced, safer Nuclear Power.

This garbage will go the way of the do do in a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 10:08 AM

8,515 posts, read 7,500,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
This article is quite lengthy, and dwarfs the size of this excerpt.
It's also behind a paywall.

Quote:
It also completely eviscerates any notion that this Nation is ready for "EVs".

https://www.westernjournal.com/fan-e...-wont-buy-one/
True, which is why there's an effort being made at the federal level to provide funding to build more public EV charging stations.

Quote:
Fortunately, the American people are not stupid:

Poll: More Than Half Say Biden Intentionally Letting Gas Prices Soar

https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/po...10/id/1073852/
No comment, lest it offend.

Quote:
The future is advanced, safer Nuclear Power.
I for one look forward to my nuclear powered automobile!

Quote:
This garbage will go the way of the do do in a few more years.
No more electric vehicles in a few more years? Really?

People who bought EVs over the past decade are simply going to throw them out?

Old 06-10-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

True, which is why there's an effort being made at the federal level to provide funding to build more public EV charging stations.

Yes! That's all we need. More inept, faulty charging stations.

Biden and Co. are telling us we need to make the switch right now. The Progressive from the article is admitting they're not ready for prime time.

Meanwhile, many (including the Civil Core of Engineers) are warning we may have to overhaul the entire national electric grid if we truly want to support all electric vehicles across the country.

And to the poster who thought it outlandish that I conflate corporations with communism: This entire scheme moves production capability to China. Electric Cars cannot exist without Chinese lithium for the batteries. (Wind turbines are also largely manufactured in China.)

The Chinese are commies, last I checked.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBeachBall View Post
So they’re Capitalizing on communism.

They’re not BEING commies, they’re just working with communists to make a profit.

I'm sorry, they're selling out America to communists by producing jobs in a communist country rather than here at home.

You're right, that's so much better!

Ya can always count on the Left to get into semantics and try to avoid the overarching argument.

Gee, I wonder why?

Old 06-10-2022, 10:29 AM

15,736 posts, read 9,591,216 times
It's common for some folks to be resistant when new technology comes along and the desire to stick with gas in light of EVs is no different. Time keeps marching on, though, and EVs will keep coming along. I mean, some people were resistant to the automobile, too.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:36 AM

21,528 posts, read 10,651,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBeachBall View Post
So they’re Capitalizing on communism.

They’re not BEING commies, they’re just working with communists to make a profit.
Yeah, and we are undermining our own industry by destroying ourselves to the benefit of China.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:37 AM

25,898 posts, read 16,620,129 times
The only way this elec car thing will work is if we have batteries we can take out and install easily and quickly like a drill. You swap the batteries like the Lp tank for your grill.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's common for some folks to be resistant when new technology comes along and the desire to stick with gas in light of EVs is no different. Time keeps marching on, though, and EVs will keep coming along. I mean, some people were resistant to the automobile, too.

That isn't the argument.

The argument is they are clearly not ready for prime time and yet this Administration is saying "Can't afford gas? Buy an EV!"

Everyone sees it, the polls reflect the same thing - but keep on whistling past the graveyard.

Pretty rich BTW, coming from someone who dismissed an entire story about the Administration's attempt to turn over control of our medical system to the WHO simply because he assumed it must not be true.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The only way this elec car thing will work is if we have batteries we can take out and install easily and quickly like a drill. You swap the batteries like the Lp tank for your grill.

Right now the batteries (like the vehicles they inhabit) are mega-expensive.

They're also incredibly environmentally hazardous as they are not biodegradable and cannot be recycled. (Not that anyone's doing that anymore anyway.)

They're also unsafe. The batteries take up the entire rear of the vehicle and can catch fire easily, meanwhile the charging stations run partly on coal.

And African slave labor mines much of the parts for the vehicles.

The whole thing is a lateral grift, and as usual the people falling for it lecture everyone else when they have no clue what they are talking about. That's the painful truth.

But here, in the OP - you have a Lefty herself admitting the EVs are not ready to replaces gas cars - and the Left on here completely ignore it and want to change the subject.

Typical lunacy.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:44 AM

8,515 posts, read 7,500,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Yes! That's all we need. More inept, faulty charging stations.
Yes, more charging stations. New ones will be better. You'll just have to trust me on that.

Quote:
Biden and Co. are telling us we need to make the switch right now. The Progressive from the article is admitting they're not ready for prime time.
Biden and Co. are telling us we need to make the switch, but not all at once.

The "Progressive" is right, we need more and better charging stations.

Quote:
Meanwhile, many (including the Civil Core of Engineers) are warning we may have to overhaul the entire national electric grid if we truly want to support all electric vehicles across the country.
We do have to overhaul the national electric grid. Not just for EVs - but for air conditioners and electric heaters, commercial buildings, industrial applications...for everything. It's not a matter of if but when the power grid goes down in Texas again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies