Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,985,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The right to contraception is too firmly entrenched in American society to be overturned.

It is not widely controversial like abortion has been for the last 50 years.
Contraception used to be prohibited in some states... within my own lifetime. Some states allowed contraception for married women only.

Abortion rights have been entrenched in American society too. Look what just happened to a long standing legal precedent.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 25 days ago)

35,749 posts, read 18,091,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree. I will be extremely surprised if access to birth control is taken away.
In many states, the far right is promising just that.

I doubt normal people will let them get away with it, but it's not because they won't try.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:10 AM

6,125 posts, read 2,904,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Abortion rights have been entrenched in American society too. Look what just happened to a long standing legal precedent.
The court found there was no right to abortion, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Take it up with your State Legislature...

Old 06-24-2022, 09:11 AM

6,125 posts, read 2,904,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In many states, the far right is promising just that.

I doubt normal people will let them get away with it, but it's not because they won't try.
Are they not allowed to try? This is America, after all... Heck, they tried in Louisiana, where it FAILED. Contraception will not be banned...

Old 06-24-2022, 09:11 AM

18,743 posts, read 7,646,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Ha ha ha. The last 3 justices were chosen based in their political beliefs.
Nice try.

But last 3 were chosen on whether they would obey and uphold the Constitution - a very different criteria from previous justices' selections.

That the criteria for choosing the last 3 ran contrary to the desires and beliefs of far-left liberals, is irrelevant. Except to the far-left liberals, of course.

But that's what the liberals get for being wrong so consistently and for so long. They finally ran into a duly-appointed group they couldn't bully, lie to, and intimidate.... and who knew far more about the Constitution and US law than the leftist ever will.

That blows their entire agenda.

Next on the docket (eventually): the badly-decided US v. Miller case from 1939.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:12 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,985,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Someone's upset that she cannot murder children, if she so chooses...

This issue will energize already enthused Republicans just as much as it may energize some Democrats... People care a lot more about not being able to put food on the table and gasoline in their cars...
People care about day to day issues until a family member has an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy. Then the whole family is affected and cares.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:12 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,282,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What was that BANG?

Ah.

The right shooting itself squarely in the foot, and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

If the far right thinks the left will sit idly by and allow contraception, and same sex relationships to be outlawed, they're grievously mistaken.

THIS is the kind of stuff that will make the midterms not a runaway. At all.

And you were so close . . .
Yep. All of those who keep screaming about their rights being taken away should hit the streets over this one. A LOT of those who aren't screaming but are certainly paying attention are going to hit the ballot boxes this November. At this point, nobody has a lock on the Midterms.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,594,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" The process/fee to purchase a weapon is no different then purchasing a bullhorn/...."

B.S.

You have to have a background check, which most states charge you a fee to buy a gun.

Do you know any states that requires a background check, and charges you a fee to buy any of the items you listed?

I think you missed my point. Paying for a gun is not "paying for a right" like some have compared it. It's not a requirement to exercise your 2A right like paying for a permits would be. I am against the end purchaser having to pay these fees. If the government requires a background check they should foot the bill.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,574,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Yep. All of those who keep screaming about their rights being taken away should hit the streets over this one. A LOT of those who aren't screaming but are certainly paying attention are going to hit the ballot boxes this November. At this point, nobody has a lock on the Midterms.
I tend to agree but this is exactly what the leak forced. The leak made it so the court had to go through with it right now.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:15 AM

34,127 posts, read 17,188,588 times
Nice to see Roberts come around on the 6-3 ruling ending Roe and Casey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.