Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2022, 01:34 PM

39,439 posts, read 27,799,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, YES!

The ones who want to have gun laws are never satisfied, they keep coming back for more. Hence........we don't trust them anymore.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 01:52 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,423,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That’s the problem that prevents any reasonable gun restrictions, paranoia and the domino theory. We have 400 million guns in this country yet they feel any step will result in complete confiscation.
The issue is what is "reasonable", your posts are part of the issue with not understanding what is and is not reasonable.

For example, an AR-15 is not a military rifle, never has been - calling it that is trying to justify why they should be banned. All rifles (including the AR-15) are involved in very few murders, much fewer than for example, baseball bats or kitchen knives, should we license and restrict all bat and knife use? The military version of weapons (the M-16 is the one that looks like the AR-15) are already essentially banned.

People worry about confiscation because that has been the stated goal of some, you have said as much even in this thread that you are for confiscation of certain guns like the AR-15 based on essentially no knowledge other than what you feel. Tomorrow, you me "feel" it is "reasonable" to ban the next type of gun. When does it stop?

Last edited by ddeemo; 07-12-2022 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 02:14 PM
exm

3,747 posts, read 1,809,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Mother walking with baby stroller fatally shot in NYC, in good area on Upper East Side (link). These guns are out of control. The Justices of the Supreme Court liberated these guns to wreak havoc. Common sense gun restrictions would have prevented this grizzly murder. The guns must be brought under control.

People who have permits are 99% of the time not the shooters. The SCOTUS decision impacted only those individuals, the ones with legal guns and permits, not pathetic losers like the shooter in this case.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:26 PM

37,963 posts, read 17,956,131 times
Quote:
With protection like we have seen the last several months who needs enemies, I can't wait for you to take on an assailant with an AR-15 should be a fair match.
AR-15 deaths are extremely rare. I can't wait for you to take on a topic and do some actual research.

I hope you won't have to take on an assailant as you'll loose no doubt. I protect myself. Sometimes with the aid of fellow Americans who carry.

Guns are for saving lives.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:50 PM

35,410 posts, read 17,327,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I do agree, however, there should be a common sense gun restriction.
Agreed. Guns should not be allowed to fire themselves.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:55 PM

73,129 posts, read 62,961,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah exactly my point.

I used to think that I wouldnt care if they ban ar15, I was not a fan anyway. But now, I feel if they ban ar15, then what's next? Sooner or later, it would be harder to impossible for you and I the law abiding citizens to own a gun. I honestly don't want to be the one last good guy without a gun when every criminal has one.

My friend lives in a very nice neighborhood and believe it or not, he does not even lock his door. He got robbed in front of a supermarket, can you believe it? People are more desperate these days.
I've never shot an AR-15. I don't want to see the AR-15 banned. Currently, I own a 9mm pistol. I sometimes to take it with me on trips. I don't want law abiding people being prevented from getting guns.

Your friend getting robbed at gun point in a nice area reminded me of the violent crime I was a victim of a long time ago. It happened to me in an otherwise nice area. I think this has been happening longer than some people care to admit.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:07 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,336,805 times
Quote:
Mother walking with baby stroller fatally shot in NYC, in good area on Upper East Side (link). These guns are out of control. The Justices of the Supreme Court liberated these guns to wreak havoc. Common sense gun restrictions would have prevented this grizzly murder. The guns must be brought under control.
It’s extraordinarily naive to believe more gun laws will stop criminals from murdering innocent people. Just ask the former prime minister of Japan…, oh wait, you can’t. Someone shot him.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:48 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,956,131 times
Quote:
That's why we have police and not novices that think they are in some way capable.
Police arrive after the fact. To say otherwise is laughable.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:05 AM

14,131 posts, read 5,713,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Best case?

Engage at 300-400 yards with the -10.
Yup.

The exact scenario that Leviathan wants to avoid, but then does political sleight of hand to make you think it is about your safety. They don't want you to be able to engage effectively from 300-400 yards with rounds that can defeat cover and light body armor, because that makes you equal to their designated marksmen and superior to their average infantry.

Also, given the civilian marksman can spend anything they want on equipment and training without requiring permission or congressional approval, even the Army and Marines admit that civilian marksmen are generally better trained than the military. Sport and hunting shooters all over this country that are equal or superior to even our military snipers...and the military knows it.

You'd think in a country whose original revolt from an oppressive tyrant required tons of assistance from civilian militias to emerge victorious, the government of that country would welcome as capable and formidable of a militia as this country can currently field in 2022. Between the two oceans and Armed Civilian America, invading this country is the most glaring example of a fool's errand in the history of civilization itself. Our government should praise this fact, not fear it and seek to dismantle it.

But sadly...all governments always and everywhere evolve towards tyranny, and ours is no different.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:41 AM

4,457 posts, read 5,346,994 times
Quote:
SCOTUS scuppered that.
As this thread started in late June and I haven't read the rest...

1) you may and should be aware by now that NY state is imposing many conditions on CCW; there are so many places on this long list near which CCW holders are forbidden from carrying a concealed weapon that CCW, while no longer having a "proper cause" clause, is going to be very difficult.

2) gun homicides have been happening in NYC and other cities for years, and it's illegal gun owners save very few exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies