Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 05:09 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times

Advertisements

I'd go back and murder the person responsible for Americas system of measurements. 8 ounces equal a cup. 2 cups equal a pint. 4 quarts equal a gallon. 5280 feet equal a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 05:15 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
If you had the chance to go back in time and change anything, what would it be?

Mine would be to go back too 4 May 1818 the day before the birth of Carl Marx and prevent his arrival. So he wouldn't pollute the world with his sick garbage thinking.

So what would be yours?
Had slavery outlawed at the beginning of this nation.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:19 AM

4,036 posts, read 2,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I'd go back to 1865, kill John Wilkes Booth and save president Lincoln, and then convince Lincoln to swiftly return ALL of the former slaves back to Africa as soon as possible.

Boy oh boy, doing that would have saved us from so many problems as a nation!
America would be a paradise.
"Back to Africa" completely ignores that by then, the majority of them had been in the U.S. for generations. I remember seeing a movie when I was little that had Lincoln addressing black leaders of the time about sending them back to Africa, and one of them quietly advised Lincoln that his family had been in the United States as long as Lincoln's had.

I'm also certain that somewhere, there's Native Americans who are thinking they should've let the European colonists starve or been more aggressive in killing them off. They'd have their land back without having to deal with us white folk.

But nice racist dog whistle there.

ETA: To add further to this, 'back to Africa' smacks of thinking that the continent of Africa is one big nation, and ignores the fact that there were a lot of different nations/tribes. The former U.S. slaves, by and large, had no idea where exactly their ancestors came from. They didn't know the languages, they didn't know the customs, they didn't follow the religion (since most slaves had been indoctrinated to Christianity). They didn't fit in Africa anymore. But nice that you think the solution to a problem that the U.S. created is to dump it off onto somebody else.

Last edited by Indigo Cardinal; 07-09-2022 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 06:12 AM

208 posts, read 153,251 times
I’d murder Bill Gates when he was a baby

Old 07-09-2022, 06:13 AM

208 posts, read 153,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I'd go back to 1865, kill John Wilkes Booth and save president Lincoln, and then convince Lincoln to swiftly return ALL of the former slaves back to Africa as soon as possible.

Boy oh boy, doing that would have saved us from so many problems as a nation!
America would be a paradise.
America would still be multicultural due to mass migration just like west Europe, unless America gets an immigration moratorium.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:19 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,555,430 times
No slaves in America

Treat the natives like gold instead of what we did.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:30 AM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times
I'd change the 1965 Immigration Act as it flooded our country with too much diversity, culturally.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:37 AM

9,876 posts, read 7,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That requires strength of character and great courage to engage in direct up close and personal confrontation that way. Mano a mano. But a stick that you point from a distance and squeeze a little trigger on it to kill things? Pfft. That doesn't call for courage, it is rather cowardly, lazy and weak.

Maybe we could go back and arm the Armenians so they wouldn't have been slaughtered by the Turks. And while we're at it, arm the Ukrainians, not now, but decades ago when they were starved.

Lots of intentional genocide throughout history, not even that long ago.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:39 AM

8,783 posts, read 5,080,500 times
Joe bidens mother rethinking her pregnancy.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 9,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Anything?

I'd go way, way back to the point where whatever or whoever mutated the human genetic code that makes some people obsessed with having control or power over others (I'm assuming it, like other traits, is present in a given human being with a certain probability). It's obviously there in some and not in others. After my alteration of history, that gene would not exist.
I don't think that's a gene. I suggest a book called The Selfish Gene. It explains how everything we do is to ensure the survival of OUR genes and how that manifests in human behavior. I think the reason some people have no qualms about doing anything to achieve power (Hillary Clinton, the Squad..most Democrats) is because they are sociopaths. And by that I don't mean they murder people. It means no ability to feel remorse for their actions. ONe author of the book Sociopaths Among us says 1 in 4 our sociopaths. They wreck lots of lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies