Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 06:52 PM

1,884 posts, read 653,405 times

Advertisements

You should have a limit on how far back, else, anyone would post any year of any era and no real interesting discussion would take place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 06:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,719,426 times
I'd go back to the Garden of Eden either chop down that tree or kill that snake.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,149,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'd go back to the Garden of Eden either chop down that tree or kill that snake.
The tree of life belong to God, so I don't think I'd place a hand on it. And as for the serpent, that's a story in its self.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:31 PM

1,874 posts, read 849,557 times
if there was a way to prevent slavery in the early 1600

Old 07-08-2022, 07:44 PM

6,813 posts, read 9,368,031 times
I would erase the invention of social media. So much hatred and division comes from there. We’re not supposed to know what people think 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:48 PM

25,798 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I would erase the invention of social media. So much hatred and division comes from there. We’re not supposed to know what people think 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
Oh, you just gave me a flash... I would make the invention of computers and high tech impossible. True, I wouldn't be pecking away on this computer right now, but that's fine. I prefer daily life in 1970 to daily life today. And I'm sure if I'd been alive in 1900, I'd prefer that lifestyle.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I can't argue with that logic. The 70s were so much better.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,641 posts, read 18,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, let's see... 1492. Yes, firearms existed. But they were very primitive muzzle loaders. Cumbersome. They took a good deal of time to reload. That being the case, much of the warfare of the time was still hand-to-hand.

think of it: you are a soldier with a matchlock. You get one shot and in the time it's going to take to reload, you're going to get rushed. So you still need a sword or handheld weapon. The Spanish still wore a good deal of armor at the time because they knew they were still going to be doing hand-to-hand combat in a conflict. Not to mention, longbows were still a faster weapon if used by a skilled marksman. Even crossbows were faster.

As for the Indians when Columbus landed, it was not an immediate war. The Conquistadors came later. On Columbus's first meeting, there were two waring tribes. One was cannibalistic. Columbus did offer some assistance to one side of the conflict. But his original intent certainly was not a Hitler thing. He had no idea the "New World" even existed and certainly not so many Native American cultures--they were a total surprise. He was looking for a trade route to the far east. Reading first hand accounts shows how distorted our perceptions of Columbus really are. In the woke history of the world, Columbus was akin to Satan with the intent of conquering the entire world. We can discuss folks like Cortez, Pizarro, etc. But that was not Columbus on the first voyage at all.

If you think the native cultures of the Americas were any less violent and cruel than the Europeans who came across the pond, you are mistaken. The only difference is that the Spanish element of surprise and slight technological advantage put them in the winner's circle.

The Norse came to the Americas five hundred years before Columbus was born. It's impossible to know exactly how or why they left the east coast, but there is a good argument that the Native American kicked them out. At that point, the Norse did not have all that much of a technologic advantage, other than their very fast ships. But their military tactics and experience was as raiders on unsuspecting enemies, not battlefield warriors. So, they got pushed right back to Greenland and lived several hundred years longer there.
I'm not saying they were less violent and cruel.

I'm saying without very high powered guns, and with only horses and arrows, or rocks, or even with just muskets, and bayonets, we'd all be comanches now.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
if there was a way to prevent slavery in the early 1600
Slavery prevention throughout the history or our planets existence would be more like it.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:31 PM

1,874 posts, read 849,557 times
its like, I didnt have anything to do with it, there nothing i can do about it, but still being blame daily. Im sorry I cant help you, so why are you still bringing it up, you wasnt there either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies