Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 09:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

On the contrary, our bill is electricity and natural gas combined, and our most recent, (without heating and minimal AC) was the lowest in about 3 years, at $125 (3 people, 3,000 sf house). In the coldest months of winter it's over $300, but that's mostly natural gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 09:44 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
ERCOT wants us to use way less during peak time of day. They have fired up old iffy coal fired plants to supplement.

Were I not too old to see any savings, there would be solar on the roof and a wall of storage in the garage.

Years ago when we had wood shingle roofs, we had little wind driven whirly bird things on the roof for removing heat from the attic . Wish someone could enable those things to make electricity.
I can find no indication that “old iffy coal plants” are restarted as a supplement to the Texas Grid during this heat wave. There was that speculation in 2020 & Bitcoin miners have purchased a couple of old coal plants for their mining. Those roof wind turbines used to vent heat out if attics are widely used, I have 2 myself along with the new Ridge Vents used by most roofers today. Some roofers are too lazy to install them.

As for what ERCOT is doing in case of a supplement right now - they are keeping “Peaker Plants” on constant standby & have increased them by 15%. This is expensive, but was decoded by the Legislature in Emergency meetings after the 2021 Freeze and Hysterical Meltdown. These standby Peaker Plants account for about half of our higher electric costs right now.

For those that don’t know - a Peaker Plant uses a massive Turbine (think Jet engine) to bring the load up on a plant instantly- as opposed to taking hours. When it comes to Power Grinds and many Generation Plants (well over 1,000 in Texas) - seconds count more than minutes, and hours can cause disasters.

Pray for the Wind to blow - 20% of Texas power is Wind, it produced between 7-8% yesterday.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
President Biden's alleged actions are not the Green New Deal, as cited in the OP.

Which permits were cancelled? Which other permits for energy were not approved? Which EOs from President Biden make energy more costly to produce?
https://nypost.com/2022/03/09/why-bi...ng-oil-prices/

Old 07-12-2022, 09:56 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Electric costs are skyrocketing because of the Green New Deal. How much has yours gone up so far? Ours is up about 20%.
Why is it "because of the green new deal"?

And for what it's worth, I just did an energy assessment TODAY. My bill has gone up just over 10% over the past five years. Certainly below the average rate of inflation.

But if others are seeing their bill go up, what is your evidence that the Green New Deal (which was never passed) has anything to with it?

Old 07-12-2022, 09:58 AM

25,702 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The country is waiting for the Texas grid to collapse again this summer due to one of the hottest summers on record. I'm sure they'll have more non-existent blame for themselves as usual. Extreme weather events and warming climate equal more grid problems.

This is why we need as much investment as possible, (public/private partnership), on the development and installation of battery storage technologies so we have a RESILIENT POWER GRID.
Batteries are horrible for the environment. They use lithium, & lithium mining is an environmental train wreck:

https://wellcomecollection.org/artic...dnPhIAACIAGuF3

Lithium mining is terrible for sub-terranian water aquafers

Batteries also use lead, which is hazardous material that had to be removed from gasoline & paint, & recycing lead batteries releases toxins into the air & water:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5463230/

47% of lead batteries come from China, increasing our reliance on the CCP comunist gov't, which we saw during covid, can be lethal.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:01 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
My bill is about the same as its been, but the city just north of me (Democatic), Ive seen people on Facebook screaming about their bills up hundreds of dollars. I dont know how people can afford that kind of increase.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:12 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Did you bother to read the article you linked?

It does not support your claims of cancelled permits, denied permits, and EOs being responsible. It's also from March 9th - 4 months ago.

It claims that the US Oil industry needs to be persuaded by President Biden to pump and refine more oil. The prices are sky-high, but the market needs a cheerleader president to cajole the industry players into making more product and thereby more revenue and more profit?

There's also a dubious claim about the cancellation of the Keystone Pipeline causing the stopping of more pipelines being constructed.

The issue isn't with pipelines, it's with US oil fields being shut down due to the oil price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia back in 2020, it's with the US oil refineries being shut down when COVID shutdowns in 2020 when demand for gasoline cratered. The US oil industry doesn't want to spend money to open its dormant domestic oil fields, only to have another price war make them unprofitable again. The US oil industry can't ramp back up because they can't find workers willing to go back to the fields and the refineries.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:14 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times
It’s hard to say just yet as they are doing this in summer when bills are higher anyway. We have a co-op that buys power from a bulk supplier and they are going to have to raise rates. It’s still in the works, though.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:17 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
Last week our utility company announced that utility prices were going to increase on average of 47% because of an increase in fossil fuel prices. I just received my utility bill this morning. It's about three times what it was last year at this time of the year.
Wow, yikes.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:18 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Electric costs are skyrocketing because of the Green New Deal. How much has yours gone up so far? Ours is up about 20%.
...because of the Green New Deal proposal that hasn't gone anywhere(voted down 57-0 in Senate)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies