Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 07:56 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Munchausen by proxy is a real thing. Parents want to feel special; they want their kids to feel special. They like the attention that they get when their kid has some type of victimhood. In the past, this was done by poisoning. Today, it's easier on the parents because they don't actually need to do something like actual poisoning to their own kids. They just need to convince them that they're trans, which is much easier when you have a whole peer group and media pushing this as well. I didn't know a single trans kid growing up. No way it's 20 percent naturally due to some genetic brain abnormality.
I agree with this.

I did have a friend in high school who was shy and heavier-set (so changing in front of friends wasn’t something she did) and never seemed to like boys or girls. she had one good male friend who I thought perhaps she secretly loved. Fast forward maybe a decade and she was going by a male name and had a girlfriend. Fast forward another 5 or so years (I didn’t keep good track of the timeline) and she has had her breasts removed and has a sort-of beard. This is a girl I was best friends with, we had sleepovers and yada yada as young teens. I still can’t believe it.

That is the one and only person I’ve ever known who is trans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 08:21 AM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
There has been. A ton of it. I've only posted a few thousand times here.

Not all of us care about such things. For those who do, for some it is, for some it isn't.
I value your input on this so let me pose something as to why we are seeing more.

1) More socially acceptable. Kinda like how there aren't more gays than there used to be, they're just more out now.

2) Social pressure\attention. I definitely feel that it's trendy, especially in some circles and a huge attention rush and so we're seeing some faux trans (although they may not even realize it).

Now I realize you were "country when country wasn't cool" but you've always seemed to take a reasoned approach to discussing things so I'd like to hear your thoughts. If you don't want to share them here please DM me, I consider it a learning opportunity.

I had a family friend that was struggling with identity stuff in their early teens and thought some things and then changed course a few years later. So, I'm leery of anything permanent at too young of an age.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:34 AM

899 posts, read 540,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
There has been. A ton of it. I've only posted a few thousand times here.

To re-re-re-re-recap:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/r...u-should-know/

https://whatweknow.inequality.cornel...gender-people/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21094885/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10843193/

There's more. A lot more.

Not without dicking around with the brainpan in utero.

Not all of us care about such things. For those who do, for some it is, for some it isn't.
I have looked into the topic and read carefully and perhaps even too extensively. The idea there is a biological basis for trans is little more than crackpot science and conjecture. It's rooted mainly in the psychosis and is a function of the neurosis. Most of these "explanations" are little more than pretensions as they ignore the lack of concrete biological evidence.

I do agree that as a flaw of the neurosis, there are people, always historically extremely few in numbers, who feel a desire to be the opposite gender. Which is why it was called gender dysphoria and treated as a mental illness. And like many mental illnesses, when managed appropriately, it can be something that people can still live responsibly and capably, but it is still an illness.

But none of these studies you link explain why there is a sudden major uptick in the number of people claiming trans identities in recent years. Nor do they explain the concept of non-binaries or gender on a spectrum, which are both voodoo concepts with no scientific basis. It is strictly culture that enables trans identities. When a society tells kids they can make up their gender identities, of course kids will start making them up. The problem is allowing them to think it's real.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:38 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They don't stay in the closet or quietly kill themselves. This makes some conservatives very angry.

Might as well ask what's with the major uptick in mixed-race relationships after segregation ended and the stigma was lifted. That, too, made some conservatives very angry.
Well after the mad scientists chop things off, they have a horrible rate of suicide and depression. But the mad scientists won't admit that.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:42 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Growing up is tough. Even with all the anti bullying campaigns , kids are still hard on each other. Not all kids can be the popular kids. Want all that changed in an instant. Want to be part of a protected class ? Want to be thrust into the spotlight ? Become part of the LGBTQ community.

Not saying all are doing this, but I'm sure a fair share are.
It is tough. And this trans trend is messing with those growing minds. For some of them it is doing permanent irreversible damage.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:45 AM

8,940 posts, read 2,961,809 times
It's a badge of honor in some places, that's why.

You don't even have to actually accomplish anything. All you have to do is say "My child is trans," and you automatically get extra attention and merit.

Some people crave that and therefore they take advantage of it.

It's the same reason Jussie Smollett staged his "hate crime." BECAUSE IT WAS PROFITABLE!

Old 07-26-2022, 08:49 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
They don't stay in the closet or quietly kill themselves. This makes some conservatives very angry.

Might as well ask what's with the major uptick in mixed-race relationships after segregation ended and the stigma was lifted. That, too, made some conservatives very angry.
Even some conservatives I know have become more accepting to Transgenders and the entire LGBTQ spectrum...of course those conservatives are the more Libertarian types who can't stand the religious right. It's a good thing that the younger generations are much more open minded and able to live out their true lives instead of hiding in the closet like evil conservatives want them to.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:08 AM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Boys in dresses have never been acceptable.
Here's a photo of FDR in 1884.

The Surprisingly Recent Time Period When Boys Wore Pink, Girls Wore Blue, and Both Wore Dresses

Old 07-26-2022, 09:11 AM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Even some conservatives I know have become more accepting to Transgenders and the entire LGBTQ spectrum...of course those conservatives are the more Libertarian types who can't stand the religious right.
Good on them. Libertarians, of all people, should be OK with people pursuing their happiness in whatever form.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:44 AM

6,642 posts, read 2,959,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Even some conservatives I know have become more accepting to Transgenders and the entire LGBTQ spectrum...of course those conservatives are the more Libertarian types who can't stand the religious right. It's a good thing that the younger generations are much more open minded and able to live out their true lives instead of hiding in the closet like evil conservatives want them to.
Quote:
Good on them. Libertarians, of all people, should be OK with people pursuing their happiness in whatever form.
Libertarian types should also not be a fan of big government getting too involved in such social issues like school guidelines and such. As long as evil conservatives are not shooting them in the streets. The basic human rights we all share already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies