Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 11:58 PM

31,305 posts, read 22,291,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
If china thought this, wouldnt they have done something about the markets? Theyre horrible still.
Exactly, the incredibly authoritarian CCP controlled government, couldn't possible do something about "Wet Markets" but can keep 10s of millions of people locked up to prevent the spread of Covid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 08:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,826,886 times
Such wet markets exist in various SE Asian countries and in Africa as well.
It is nothing particularly Chinese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_ma...ound_the_world

Old 08-02-2022, 08:22 AM

23,824 posts, read 24,193,160 times
The OP assumes that the Chinese government cares about the Chinese people.

OP, remove that assumption and rethink it.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,826,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The OP assumes that the Chinese government cares about the Chinese people.

OP, remove that assumption and rethink it.

What makes you think it doesn't? In fact, I think it cares more about the Chinese than the EU cares about Europeans or Washington about Americans.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:42 AM

2,953 posts, read 999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What makes you think it doesn't?
Been there. Seen it. Don't bluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meuling
In fact, I think it cares more about the Chinese than the EU cares about Europeans or Washington about Americans.
I've seen the toxic wasteland of the countryside. Open pit mines carved out right beside homes in little villages. Smog so thick you can see it in your hotel room in Beijing. Shanghai's smog that blinds you on the bullet train from Shanghai all the way to Nanjing nearly 300km away. The fact that Chinese people can't even own their own property. The constant spying and censorship. I saw the BBC go black the instant it began to report on the 25th anniversary of Tiananmen. The fear of the Chinese people to discuss the west with a westerner. It's an oppressive totalitarian regime. Those systems only care about the party and their absolute control.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:52 AM

30,350 posts, read 11,971,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Why do you think they care about protecting their own people?

I don't think they care much about the average citizen.
They care about optics like GDP. This sort of thing hurts their numbers. And if they did plan this why release it in the area of their coronavirus lab? Any place but there would be a better spot. If they released it in a different country no one would be talking about China today like you are.

I think it was a lab leak that caused it to spread in China and eventually everywhere. Everything points to that.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:05 AM

3,113 posts, read 945,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Some of these pathogens take more time in determining origins. More recent genetic determinations favor the wet market. But still no direct enough evidence.

https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelea...in-wuhan-china

As I've said, the definitive proof either way resides with China, and they have not released the necessary data.
No it doesn’t. That paper says no such thing. UCSD press butchered it as usual!

The original Pekar et al paper proposes two distinct lineages A, B per genomic phylodynamic rooting methods. A was not tied to the wet market at all while for B, they used epidemiological models to show how the wet market may have spread it in early November.

No where did they say zoonosis/wet market was the origin per genomic analysis. You could only make that argument if you found an animal host which hasn’t been found.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:11 AM

18,938 posts, read 8,562,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They care about optics like GDP. This sort of thing hurts their numbers. And if they did plan this why release it in the area of their coronavirus lab? Any place but there would be a better spot. If they released it in a different country no one would be talking about China today like you are.

I think it was a lab leak that caused it to spread in China and eventually everywhere. Everything points to that.
Of course you can say they shut down whole areas and their economies to control Covid, simply as a means to recertify that they can control their people. I don't buy the GDP deal.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:13 AM

18,938 posts, read 8,562,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
No it doesn’t. That paper says no such thing. UCSD press butchered it as usual!

The original Pekar et al paper proposes two distinct lineages A, B per genomic phylodynamic rooting methods. A was not tied to the wet market at all while for B, they used epidemiological models to show how the wet market may have spread it in early November.

No where did they say zoonosis/wet market was the origin per genomic analysis. You could only make that argument if you found an animal host which hasn’t been found.
As I've said, the definitive proof either way resides with China, and they have not released the necessary data.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:17 AM

3,113 posts, read 945,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Well you also said recent genomic analysis favors the wet market.

First, that is a misreading of their paper. Genomic analysis split the virus into two genomic lineages with the wet market as an important source of spread for lineage B. Not an “origin” as saying such implies the long debunked hypothesis of zoonosis.

The wet market was a source of transmission not origin of lineage B according to that paper. Somehow UCSD press comes up with wet market origin. Not sure if incompetence or propaganda. UCSD survives on NIAID grants. All Fauci has to do is look displeased and they’ll run cover for their primary funder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies