Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:54 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,537,709 times

Advertisements

Isn't it odd? The only people the Democraps want to take weapons from is law abiding citizens-never the violent criminals. The very criminals they empathize with, refuse to put in prison, release without bail or release before they serve a full sentence. Why do those on the left want to leave the law abiding defenseless, while enabling violent criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 08:58 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why do those on the left want to leave the law abiding defenseless, while enabling violent criminals?

You know why. All rational thinking people know why.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Isn't it odd? The only people the Democraps want to take weapons from is law abiding citizens-never the violent criminals. The very criminals they empathize with, refuse to put in prison, release without bail or release before they serve a full sentence. Why do those on the left want to leave the law abiding defenseless, while enabling violent criminals?

I have been clear that I find it hard to dictate any rules regarding guns because it is not something I can relate to.

BUT I have never interpreted the gun control legislation goals to be to take guns away from responsible people. I see the laws as meant to make it harder for the criminals, mentally unstable to get the guns -- legally or illegally.

Again I'm not advocating for this legislation but I do think your feeling that the laws are just to hurt legal gun owners is not in line with the true goals.

For whatever reason the last time there was a ban on assault rifles there was a significant decline in the use of those rifles for violence. Not debating the actual correlation of the ban and the decline

For sure --- gun manufacturers do now want any restrictions and will push the agenda as coming after 'responsible gun owners' but that's not really the target.

And define responsible.

In our community the police department has adopted a community campaign to remind people every night to lock their cars or take their guns out of their unlocked cars. Seems we have a real problem with so called 'responsible gun owners' -- not being so responsible.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:06 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,969,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I have been clear that I find it hard to dictate any rules regarding guns because it is not something I can relate to.

BUT I have never interpreted the gun control legislation goals to be to take guns away from responsible people. I see the laws as meant to make it harder for the criminals, mentally unstable to get the guns -- legally or illegally.

Again I'm not advocating for this legislation but I do think your feeling that the laws are just to hurt legal gun owners is not in line with the true goals.

For whatever reason the last time there was a ban on assault rifles there was a significant decline in the use of those rifles for violence. Not debating the actual correlation of the ban and the decline

For sure --- gun manufacturers do now want any restrictions and will push the agenda as coming after 'responsible gun owners' but that's not really the target.

And define responsible.

In our community the police department has adopted a community campaign to remind people every night to lock their cars or take their guns out of their unlocked cars. Seems we have a real problem with so called 'responsible gun owners' -- not being so responsible.
Complete nonsense. #1, not one single AR-15 was banned during the "Assault Weapons Ban," so how could crimes with them have "decreased" because of the law?

Surely you haven't researched the facts of this silly law. It was simply a marketing ploy, but it was obviously effective at marketing. Here we are 30 years later and people still think it actually banned anything! Democrats are still getting "credit" for something that never even happened!

WOW.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:09 AM

24,511 posts, read 17,260,237 times
This is so typical of the Dems. They are creating a problem by being so easy on hard criminals that use guns and their solution boggles the mind. Do they really want the criminals to run the streets? They Defund the Police and now want to take away the one thing that will literally save your life when the Thugs come to kick in your door?

If the Dems actually did their job and protected the public by locking up the violent and deranged criminals THEN and only THEN we might be willing to talk about banning guns. Securing the Border is another Big Issue they are ignoring that puts the general public in danger.

The Dems are setting America up to be an incredibly dangerous place to live and their answer is to disarm the Good people?

Old 08-04-2022, 09:11 AM

29,520 posts, read 14,679,331 times
Quote:

And define responsible.

And that is the flaw in your thinking. Only the law abiding would go alone with these laws, criminals will always find a way.

And in another thread, I already proved you wrong on your thinking of the last AWB ban. Should I post it up again for you ?

Old 08-04-2022, 09:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
IF people are interested in what he ACTUALLY said.

https://nadler.house.gov/news/docume...umentID=394886
“The Assault Weapons Ban Act would prohibit the sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. At the same time, it grandfathers existing semiautomatic assault weapons and contains numerous protections for law enforcement and responsible gun owners, such as hunters, gun collectors, farmers, sport shooters, and those who use firearms for self-defense.
You posted a summary from his website. This discussion is about words which came from his lips. Watched it myself, several times now.

This is old news, by the way. This happened several days ago or last week. Been covered extensively in gun circles. Your ignorance of what he said is no excuse for your aggressive denial above. Check things out before you make a fool of yourself.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:16 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Nobody's posted the video yet? Weird.

Here.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Complete nonsense. #1, not one single AR-15 was banned during the "Assault Weapons Ban," so how could crimes with them have "decreased?"

Surely you haven't researched the facts of this silly law. It was simply a marketing ploy, but it was obviously effective at marketing. Here we are 30 years later and people still think it actually banned anything! Democrats are still getting "credit" for something that never even happened!

WOW.
WOW - you didn't really read my post -- WOW.

I clearly stated I don't have strong feelings on this bill or on any gun control legislation because of the double speak from both sides and my lack of knowledge on guns.

So yeah -- the specific AR-15 gun wasn't banned but the last time there was a ban on assault weapons (not the AR-15) there was a significant recorded decline...so the feeling is that a ban would help. I clearly stated I am not debating that or in support of those feelings.

My post was not in support of legislation for gun control...or on any ban. I clearly stated that.

My post was to the 'feeling' a poster had that the goal seems to deny responsible gun owners the right to bear arms. I disagree. Not debating the merits of the legislation being proposed because I choose not to delve into a study of gun models, etc.....but the legislation goal is to make it harder for criminals and mentally unstable to get guns that can kill people so quickly.

SO WOW -- all you proved is what I stated - I don't know about guns....lol...but my feeling that the goal is to stop people who buy guns legally or illegally from shooting up schools, malls etc.....

Old 08-04-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You posted a summary from his website. This discussion is about words which came from his lips. Watched it myself, several times now.

This is old news, by the way. This happened several days ago or last week. Been covered extensively in gun circles. Your ignorance of what he said is no excuse for your aggressive denial above. Check things out before you make a fool of yourself.
I apologize -- I thought this was the transcript.

But clearly the formal argument is that they are trying to stop these guns from being used to shoot up schools in particular.

If you all can figure out how to identify a 'responsible' gun owner please tell me.

That's the problem right. WE can't inherently identify a responsible gun owner.

So the issue becomes how to make it harder for the irresponsible gun owner to get a gun that can kill so many so quickly.

Again -- totally have no interest in learning about guns abut I would love for the 'responsible' gun owners to help in providing a solution as to how to stop the crazies from getting these guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies