Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 10:05 AM

1,517 posts, read 541,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
NO. The division is in your head.

Many MAGAs hate everyone else, they declare it every day. Some want a civil war and talk about it openly. MAGAs are just dying to "own the libs". Many are followers of the Steve Bannon and Nick Fuentes types. Many see nothing wrong with the marching and chanting in Charlottesville "THE JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US!!!".

MAGAs seem to think everyone else hates them as much as they hate everyone else. Everyone else knows MAGAs are projecting.

No one else suggests separation 'into red and blue', and no one else advocates for civil war. This is completely one sided.

So you are completely wrong in your claim: one side hates, the other side is just a bit tired and disgusted by it all.

This is a perfect summation, thank you.

Fear and division goes away when we stay in the present and mind our own business (and turn off the news).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 10:59 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Here is the thing with gentrification.

If we leave failing towns/cities alone, not bringing people and businesses in, then those living there have a much harder time moving up the ladder. We get called racist.

If we invest into these communities and people move in bringing employment and opportunity, we get vilified for ruining it for people because of gentrification.

Can't win either way with some people.
My point was this. Gentrification plays a role in people moving to different places.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
If you are Republican and truly feel America is a red country, there is only one thing to do... insist on abolishing the EC and use the popular vote.
If that happened, Hillary Clinton would have become President. Many people, regardless of political party, are going to be in favor of whatever helps their bottom line

Old 11-30-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Do what I did. Quit your job, move and start over.

You don't have to stay tied to the job you have. You can get another one doing the same or even something different.
You missed my point completely. Some people live where they live because they don't work remote.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:47 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
...This past Tuesday, Democrat adviser Kurt Bardella called all Republicans a “domestic terrorist cell.†MSNBC’s Tiffany Cross agreed and said there should be no distinction between Republicans and “right-wing extremists.†At the same time, Peter Wehner, a contributing writer for The Atlantic, likened the Republican Party to a “dagger pointed at the throat of American democracy.†All this while the FBI Director Christopher Wray added that any American flying the Gadsden — “Don’t Tread On Me†— flag is suspect of violent extremism...

Forgive my cynicism, but I'd really like to see these quotes in context.
All you have to do is watch CNN or MSNBC for a day and you will have the full context.

I honestly don't know why some of you prefer to play dumb on these things.

It is what it is and everyone knows it. We all have access to TV and the Internet.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:50 PM

1,346 posts, read 474,107 times
The bulk of geopolitical governance is red, I would agree. As to the people residing throughout this country I would say that it's more evenly split with many falling into the category of independent instead of being obligated to a specific party. We may be more right leaning than most developed countries but that's not saying much since they tend to adopt a more left leaning social democratic form of authority. On certain particular issues however we have segments of this country which could disputed as being more left winged than the vaunted liberal 'utopias' of northern Europe as it pertains to clique issues like abortion. Don't believe me? The term limits for an abortion is the most lenient in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands at 24 weeks. Six states as well as DC and the territory of Puerto Rico have no term limits when it comes to abortion.

What I'm curious to see is if there isn't going to be a division of this country akin to the east/west split of the Roman Empire. 'The issue of a divided America was already settled back during the civil war', one might say. It's pretentious to make the claim that the status and scope of a nation is indissoluble when history has proven the opposite to be true for countries, as if America has some profound immunity to the trappings of national degradation.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:51 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
If you are Republican and truly feel America is a red country, there is only one thing to do... insist on abolishing the EC and use the popular vote.
Tortured logic beyond description.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You missed my point completely. Some people live where they live because they don't work remote.
I got your point. You missed mine.

I was not able to work remotely with the job I had in California.

What did I do? I QUIT MY JOB AND MOVED TO FLORIDA!

I decided to start over. I quit my job without having another job. I packed up, moved to Florida, set up shop and started looking for work.

It's really not that hard. Scary? It can be, but at some point in life you have to put on your big boy pants and man up.

You think pioneering the west was easy in the beginning?

People have become way too soft today. I suppose that happens with each new generation.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:54 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Indeed. A marine biologist is probably going to be living on a coast, not in the heartland - even if said person is staunchly conservative. A petroleum engineer is probably going to be living in Houston or Midland or Tulsa, even if that person is a San Francisco liberal. A techy working in a start-up will probably be in the Bay Area, even he's a MAGA enthusiast. And a particle-physics experimentalist is probably going to be living near Fermilab, even if he hates Chicago winters.

We go where the jobs are. Los Angeles is populous not because everybody wants to be woke or to blur their genders or to imprison Trump, but because that's where the high-paying jobs are. And yes, the taxes are horrendous too.

Why is the retirement forum replete with threads on "where should I relocate"? Because it's only when we retire, that we can attain our final resting-place, so to speak. Yes, just like the OP, I wouldn't mind eventually giving Florida a try... but not for a 70% pay cut.

Even in the most peaceful, genteel and well-orchestrated resorting can't possibly work, for economic reasons!

Actually, modern history offers an example of national sorting along creedal lines. It happened when India declared independence from Britain, in 1947... splitting into majority-Hindu India, and majority-Muslim Pakistan. Just a peaceful relocation from A to B, right? Nope. Sometime like a million people died, during the migration... and it wasn't from traffic accidents.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Again, please see post #72.

Quote:
Well for the 3,937,269th time, this thread is not about how to win elections.

It's not about voting.

It's about how the needs, wants and desires of rural America are completely different than those in urban America and how one side keeps trying to force what they want onto the rest of us who just want to be left alone.

It's about how we can never see unity and compromise again, because we are too far apart.

But if it makes you and a couple others feel better to avoid the actual topic and instead talk about how to win elections, carry on. It's not what this thread is about, but obviously you and a couple others prefer derailing the topic and turning it into something different. Not much I can do about that. You seem to have your mind made up.
This thread is not about vote totals. I have already stipulated coastal cities outnumber rural farm towns.

I wonder how many more times I will have to correct people on this?

This usually happens when people can't dispute the facts and instead try to derail or reroute the conversation instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies