Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 08:05 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
^^Agreed. I'm in Florida, and some now say it's a red state. It's a pinkish purple state. With lots of blue splotches and dots and specks.
It varies based on what part of Florida you're in. Southwest Florida and the Florida Panhandle are the reddest parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 09:44 PM

32,057 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
If you study history, you will understand they designed it this way because they knew the population would grow and it was a way to protect areas of the country where the needs, wants and desires are vastly different than dense urban coastal elite cities.

The founding fathers, for very good reason, wanted to ensure power was not held by select areas of the country. That is a dangerous thing to have happen, so they designed a system to try to prevent that from happening. It's one of the best decisions they ever made. Very wise and today we can see exactly why.

Some of the commentary here is proof positive our education system has failed. Rather than teaching little kids they can be any gender they want, maybe they should teach children about the history and design of the country and do it from a factual non leftist point of view. Maybe they should teach kids about the dangers of government getting too much control and controlling news & information.
There were only a dozen states when the constitution was written. It was simpler times then when only white men had rights. They had no crystal ball to foretell our future. If they did then they would have given women rights in the constitution.
And there is not enough time in the day to teach everything about history because we make history every day. The focus is on math and science. There are only so many hours in a school day. Why don't parents step up and teach their kids about things. Why do they rely on teachers.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:06 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This political and social hatred and division even if started back in 2005 is still a relatively new thing compared to the decades of American history when it wasn't. Most of this hatred is coming from the Democrats and especially the liberal ones. I have experienced it over and over even in my own family. Someone is in deep denial here because they are so eager to defend the Democrats and to continue voting for them in spite of it. You find this denial especially true among minorities.
So the country wasn't divided when the loyalists and revolutionaries fought in the Revolutionary War?
The country wasn't divided during the Napoleonic Wars and the debate associated with potentially entering?
The country wasn't divided when Whigs and Democrats passed the Indian Removal Act in 1830?
The country wasn't divided in the run up and aftermath of the Civil War?
The country wasn't divided in whether or not to join World War I?
The country wasn't divided during the Great Depression when one side favored massive social spending and the other favored a laissez-faire approach?
The country wasn't divided in the run-up to the Pearl Harbor attack that forced us to join World War II?
The country wasn't divided during the Korean War and the decision to finally end it?
The country wasn't divided during the McCarthy era where he was running around accusing half the country of being communists?
The country wasn't divided during the Vietnam War?
The country wasn't divided during the Civil Rights Era?
The country wasn't divided during the War on Drugs/Reagan era?

Silly me, I didn't realize that the country had only become divided 17 years ago. It was clearly a lovely 200+ years of kumbaya and rainbows before modern generations screwed it all up.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:23 PM

87 posts, read 44,381 times
IMO the balkanization of the US looks like a more likely scenario. I think it is only a matter of time.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
So the country wasn't divided when the loyalists and revolutionaries fought in the Revolutionary War?
The country wasn't divided during the Napoleonic Wars and the debate associated with potentially entering?
The country wasn't divided when Whigs and Democrats passed the Indian Removal Act in 1830?
The country wasn't divided during the Great Depression when one side favored massive social spending and the other favored a laissez-faire approach?
The country wasn't divided in the run-up to the Pearl Harbor attack that forced us to join World War II?
The country wasn't divided during the Korean War and the decision to finally end it?
The country wasn't divided during the McCarthy era where he was running around accusing half the country of being communists?

Silly me, I didn't realize that the country had only become divided 17 years ago. It was clearly a lovely 200+ years of kumbaya and rainbows before modern generations screwed it all up.
Exactly. If one just looks down the time line of American history, division and strife have always been there. Political strife, racial strife, labor-related violence, etc. It's always been there. Look at the riots during the 1960s. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:38 AM

62,889 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Exactly. If one just looks down the time line of American history, division and strife have always been there. Political strife, racial strife, labor-related violence, etc. It's always been there. Look at the riots during the 1960s. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
You just keep ignoring the fact that it has accelerated by leaps and bounds recently though, don't you?

Old 12-07-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
IMO the balkanization of the US looks like a more likely scenario. I think it is only a matter of time.
The direct result of the 1965 Immigration Act that allowed in too many immigrants in a short period of time and massive illegal immigration. We no longer have a connection with one another politically, socially or culturally. We are a divided nation with not much cohesion anymore.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

Read my posts #390 and 391 and remain in denial if you wish. Even families have turned against each other these days which doesn't begin to compare to the past. This is totally different than being at odds with each other over the wars of the past.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
This country has come close to balkanization a few times.The Civil War nearly tore America apart. There are still after-effects from the war to this day. We can start with the Confederate flag on issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies