Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 03:01 PM

47,035 posts, read 26,143,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
That happens all the time, not just tech, and not just from companies buying other companies...
The ability to reach into the consumer's home and disable an item that (s)he purchased is a new development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 03:12 PM

43,474 posts, read 18,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The ability to reach into the consumer's home and disable an item that (s)he purchased is a new development.
Yes and companies/governments are making use of it with "smart" meters and "smart" thermometers so they can regulate individual homes should the need arise.

They won't have to ask you anymore to conserve and change your thermostat...they will do it for you.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:04 PM

30,393 posts, read 23,866,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Capability implies intent.

A saying from the cold war when we were trying to get into the brains of the Soviet leaders re their willingness to use nuclear weapons. It just means that when the consequences of a hypothetical being true are very extreme then for your own safety you have to assume the worst case.

Big tech has the capability to listen to you so if you're wondering or are on the fence about them actually doing it, prudence dictates that you should assume that they intend to.
You misunderstood my "complete nonsense" statement. I wasn't saying that what I just wrote was not true. I was saying their spying is "complete nonsense". They shouldn't be spying at all, nor should lie about how you can "turn it off".

Old 11-29-2022, 04:09 PM

30,393 posts, read 23,866,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
This thread is great for some laughs. The conspiracy theories. Tin foil hats! Priceless. I wonder how these people vote. JUST KIDDING, I already know! We know, everything's a conspiracy and everyone's out to get ya.

In any event, I used to have an Alexa (switched to Google home) but before I disconnected it I went on my Amazon account and you can download every audio clip Alexa recorded. They will give you all data associated with your account. I found it interesting. It does listen and does record audio. One clip I heard myself say something that sounded like Alexa and that was what triggered it.

Nothing in our daily life is private, it is what it is. My life is not important enough for me to care if someone is listening to me say "Hey Google, turn on the jacuzzi lights". All the conspiracy theorists on this thread, how do you think they posted here? On their Chinese made device, connected (possibly wirelessly) to the internet. If one wants to live their life in fear, well that's on them. I'm not so enamored with myself that I think Joe Biden is listening to every little thing I say. I'm busy living life.
Ah yes, the old 'I'm not doing anything wrong, so it doesn't matter' line.

Holly Springs, NC - yes, I know the type. Took you all long enough to take the dumb masks off. I provided several links that discussed these devices spying on you. You pretending they don't, and laughing like you know better than everyone, doesn't make it not true.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ah yes, the old 'I'm not doing anything wrong, so it doesn't matter' line.

Holly Springs, NC - yes, I know the type. Took you all long enough to take the dumb masks off. I provided several links that discussed these devices spying on you. You pretending they don't, and laughing like you know better than everyone, doesn't make it not true.
One day they may get the surprise of their life when their "smart home" doesn't let them leave

Old 11-29-2022, 04:19 PM

9,267 posts, read 6,420,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
One day they may get the surprise of their life when their "smart home" doesn't let them leave
Someone upthread mentioned controlling their door locks with smart home equipment. Imagine if a hacker gains control of the smart home devices and locks the smart home user out of their own house.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Someone upthread mentioned controlling their door locks with smart home equipment. Imagine if a hacker gains control of the smart home devices and locks the smart home user out of their own house.
People love their gadgets and showing off their tech.

Sometimes staying "old school" is safer.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:07 PM

32,832 posts, read 19,552,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Odd choice of technology examples (wifi) since generally each successive generation of wifi products has maintained backwards compatibility.

And I don't understand your comment about Commodore, Apple never "took them over"?
Apple bought out Commodore in the 80's

Old 11-29-2022, 06:09 PM

32,832 posts, read 19,552,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
yes that particular thing is new...and part of the government (smart electric meters) too, not just companies/corporations

Old 11-29-2022, 07:55 PM

18,309 posts, read 15,834,289 times
Alexa's engineers would have the pleasure of hearing me execute the following commands:

- fan on

- fan off

(at least 5 times a day). LOL

Interspersed once a day with

- lamp on

- lamp off

scintillating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies