Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 09:03 AM

25,976 posts, read 18,965,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Why does anybody need an oven, toaster, refrigerator hooked up to the web?
I can only speak for myself, but I certainly do not. In fact, you couldn't pay me enough to actually own any of that. Aside from the obvious "1984" aspect, I find such devices to be a major pain in the ass. Way too much twiddling, and I hate twiddling.

My car is a pain in the backside because of all the useless (to me) electronic gadgetry. Completely unnecessary. I never use any of it and the only time I ever even mess with it is when the stupid car decides to change some readout setting and then I have to change it back. Totally annoying. If only I could find a newer car with the engineering precision and reliability of today, but WITHOUT the electronic/computer crap. I want a car with the electronics of a 1964 Ford Falcon, but the engineering of today.

As far as Alexa, Siri, Gooble, blah blah... never used it, never will. I'm still not too lazy to wipe my own butt (at the expense of my privacy, no less).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 09:04 AM

2,953 posts, read 996,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Any app, any "smart" gadget is spying on you, even if they claim you can 'turn it off'. Complete nonsense.
Capability implies intent.

A saying from the cold war when we were trying to get into the brains of the Soviet leaders re their willingness to use nuclear weapons. It just means that when the consequences of a hypothetical being true are very extreme then for your own safety you have to assume the worst case.

Big tech has the capability to listen to you so if you're wondering or are on the fence about them actually doing it, prudence dictates that you should assume that they intend to.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:08 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,277,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Great. Don't take our word for it. But instead of assuming paranoia, why don't you find out for sure? Research what's being done with your personal, private information.

I had 20+ years in tech, with God level access to nearly every system or network I touched. I know what it means to have access to *everything* and the potential for abusing that data.

It's funny. Someone pointed out that all the techie types are saying stay away. Maybe trust their expertise? LOL

It's like all of the social media CEOs not allowing their own kids onto their platforms. Gee, I wonder why? Could social media be harmful? Maybe listen to the people who are in the best positions to know? Just a thought.
There are techie types, and then there are techie types who may or may not have a deeper understanding of the field of "intelligence". One thing to consider when determining optimal electronic presence is that one of things computers are great at is finding exceptions to patterns.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:09 AM

25,976 posts, read 18,965,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Capability implies intent.

A saying from the cold war when we were trying to get into the brains of the Soviet leaders re their willingness to use nuclear weapons. It just means that when the consequences of a hypothetical being true are very extreme then for your own safety you have to assume the worst case.

Big tech has the capability to listen to you so if you're wondering or are on the fence about them actually doing it, prudence dictates that you should assume that they intend to.
Absolutely right. Same applies here: never assume that ANYONE in a position of power has your best interests in mind.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:13 AM

18,536 posts, read 8,359,201 times
they have to listen.....it wouldn't know you asked something if it wasn't listening

Old 11-29-2022, 09:16 AM

2,953 posts, read 996,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
There are techie types, and then there are techie types who may or may not have a deeper understanding of the field of "intelligence". One thing to consider when determining optimal electronic presence is that one of things computers are great at is finding exceptions to patterns.
Elaborate please.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:25 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,856,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee-bey View Post
i'm actually old enough and have roots in the geologic era of mainframes that i know what that means and have been victimized by the ba$tards. :d

bwahaha....:d

Old 11-29-2022, 10:01 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,606,347 times
Quote:
I had 20+ years in tech, with God level access to nearly every system or network I touched. I know what it means to have access to *everything* and the potential for abusing that data.
20+ year software dev here, you aren't impressing me.

Quote:
It's funny. Someone pointed out that all the techie types are saying stay away. Maybe trust their expertise? LOL
It's funnier that you didn't wrap your head around what I was pointing out.

The self-proclaimed techies in here aren't representative, I submit that the overwhelming majority of people who actually work right now in the tech industry, including in mobile software for companies like Apple and Google, do indeed own smart devices.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:02 AM

43,332 posts, read 18,453,148 times
Amazon had high hopes for Alexa. They thought they could monetize it and built an entire division around it before it even panned out.

And then...the 2 most spoken phrases to Alexa..."What's the temperature" and "play the radio".

Old 11-29-2022, 10:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,606,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
You are talking out of the part of your body that you're sitting on. I've noticed your default response to something you can't rebut is to play the conspiracy theory card. You've done that on the Ukraine thread and I let it go because I didn't feel your posts were worth my time but you're doing it again here on a thread where some of us are reflecting on our detailed real-world career experience. You have no business slinging your conspiracy theory innuendo here. You're out of your league and are clearly trying to suppress ideas because of some agenda you have. What might that be? Prove me wrong with some actual technical knowledge that refutes the details of what is being reported. You can't. You'll Google and splutter but you've got nothing.
This sure is a lot of text that says absolutely nothing related to the topic.

Let me ask you a question: do you really believe that engineers that work in companies that produce these devices and software don't have smart phones or smart devices in their home? That is a yes or no question. Let's see how honest with yourself you can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies