Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 05:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,145,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I find it interesting that everyone assumes what they are saying is true, both about smart phones and their level of expertise.

Paranoid people replying to this thread with vague references to being in a certain tech industry aren't representative, I bet if you polled people who actually worked directly on the software in smart phones you'd find the overwhelming majority do indeed have smart phones and devices in their homes. To take it further I'd wager you'd find the same for the engineering staff at Apple, Google, or whatever evil spying demon there is.
Great. Don't take our word for it. But instead of assuming paranoia, why don't you find out for sure? Research what's being done with your personal, private information.

I had 20+ years in tech, with God level access to nearly every system or network I touched. I know what it means to have access to *everything* and the potential for abusing that data.

It's funny. Someone pointed out that all the techie types are saying stay away. Maybe trust their expertise? LOL

It's like all of the social media CEOs not allowing their own kids onto their platforms. Gee, I wonder why? Could social media be harmful? Maybe listen to the people who are in the best positions to know? Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 06:35 AM

9,528 posts, read 9,853,001 times
We need to accept that this is the way going forward. We are being tracked everywhere. If you post on this forum, it's being tracked. So no matter how you dumb down your house, if you use technology, you are being tracked. Do you drive a modern car? Do you have a newer LCD/LED TV? Do you have a PC?

The US is moving towards 100% digital currency. You will be forced to use it one day in the future. You will need a device to use that currency. You will be tracked.

Sure there are ways to minimize the electronic intrusions, but you will have to live similar to a recluse.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:51 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 19 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,915 times
One of the apartments I moved to offered a free Alexa. "No thanks."
I also recall wanting a new TV a few years back. All that was present were smart TVs, so I up and left. I later got a great deal on a 40" TV at a pawn shop (cable didn't work, but it was to be used for my PC, so I didn't need cable).

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 11-29-2022 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: paragraph break disappeared

Old 11-29-2022, 06:52 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,684,438 times
I do not have a smart home. Devices made in China are collecting data on US citizens whatever it is, medical, locations, banking, etc. AFA Alexa, I can get off my butt and do something for myself.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,145,061 times
Rob Braxman is a good resource for tech/privacy topics. This video is topical to the discussion. I highly recommend that people watch it to get a basic understanding of what we're actually talking about here.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:00 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,853,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Great. Don't take our word for it. But instead of assuming paranoia, why don't you find out for sure? Research what's being done with your personal, private information.

I had 20+ years in tech, with God level access to nearly every system or network I touched. I know what it means to have access to *everything* and the potential for abusing that data.

It's funny. Someone pointed out that all the techie types are saying stay away. Maybe trust their expertise? LOL

It's like all of the social media CEOs not allowing their own kids onto their platforms. Gee, I wonder why? Could social media be harmful? Maybe listen to the people who are in the best positions to know? Just a thought.

BOFH?

Old 11-29-2022, 07:50 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,765,973 times
It's over. Privacy is dead and we the consumers killed it.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:22 AM

2,953 posts, read 995,944 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that everyone assumes what they are saying is true, both about smart phones and their level of expertise.

Paranoid people replying to this thread with vague references to being in a certain tech industry aren't representative, I bet if you polled people who actually worked directly on the software in smart phones you'd find the overwhelming majority do indeed have smart phones and devices in their homes. To take it further I'd wager you'd find the same for the engineering staff at Apple, Google, or whatever evil spying demon there is.
You are talking out of the part of your body that you're sitting on. I've noticed your default response to something you can't rebut is to play the conspiracy theory card. You've done that on the Ukraine thread and I let it go because I didn't feel your posts were worth my time but you're doing it again here on a thread where some of us are reflecting on our detailed real-world career experience. You have no business slinging your conspiracy theory innuendo here. You're out of your league and are clearly trying to suppress ideas because of some agenda you have. What might that be? Prove me wrong with some actual technical knowledge that refutes the details of what is being reported. You can't. You'll Google and splutter but you've got nothing.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:28 AM

2,953 posts, read 995,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm actually old enough and have roots in the geologic era of mainframes that I know what that means and have been victimized by the ba$tards.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:50 AM

30,317 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
What makes you think Siri doesn't listen to private conversations just as much as Alexa?
Yeah, it's naive to think only Alexa does it.

OP, if your entire household is a "smart" household, you're being spied on.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/josephs...h=38f3dd2eb859

Quote:
...Many recent-generation kitchen appliances come equipped with connectivity that allows for great convenience, but this benefit comes at a price – potential spying and security risks. Information about when you wake up in the morning (as extrapolated from data on your Internet-connected coffee maker) and your shopping habits (as determined by information garnered from your smart fridge) can help robbers target your home. Furthermore, potential vulnerabilities have been reported in smart kitchen devices for quite some time, and less than a month ago a smart refrigerator was found to have been used by hackers in a malicious email attack. You read that correctly – hackers successfully used a refrigerator to send out malicious emails...
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/hous...ry?id=19974898

https://www.consumer-action.org/engl...es/smart-homes

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/30/how-...iday-buys.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...h-devices.html

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...for-years.html

Quote:
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) has been forced to admit to the ACLU that it's been keeping your Siri queries for as long as two years...Whenever you speak into [Siri], it ships it off to Apple’s data farm for analysis. Apple generates a random number to represent the user...Once the voice recording is six months old, Apple “disassociates” your user number from the clip...
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/appl...ersations.html

Quote:
Apple apologizes for listening to Siri conversations
https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...wsuit-privacy/

Quote:
Lawsuits say Siri and Google are listening, even when they’re not supposed to

On Thursday, a judge ruled that Apple will have to continue fighting a lawsuit brought by users in federal court in California, alleging that the company’s voice assistant Siri has improperly recorded private conversations.
That was September, 2021.

Quote:
The case is one of several that have been brought against Apple, Google and Amazon that involve allegations of violation of privacy by voice assistants. The technologies, often referred to by their names — Siri, Alexa and, predictably, Google — are meant to help with everyday tasks. They connect to speakers and can play music, or set a timer or add an item to a shopping list...
Of course the tech companies deny...if so, why did Apple "apologize" for listening in?

Quote:
The voice assistants are supposed to turn on when prompted — saying “Hey, Siri,” for example — but the lawsuit alleges that plaintiffs saw their devices activate even when they didn’t call out the wake word. That conversation was recorded without their consent and the information was then used to target advertisements toward them and sent on to third-party contractors to review, they allege.
“These conversations occurred in their home, bedroom, and car, as well as other places where Plaintiffs Lopez and A.L. were alone or had a reasonable expectation of privacy,” the lawsuit alleges.
Any app, any "smart" gadget is spying on you, even if they claim you can 'turn it off'. Complete nonsense.

So much for it being a conspiracy theory...

Quote:
I find it interesting that everyone assumes what they are saying is true...
Paranoid people replying to this thread with vague references...
...right, lieqiang?

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 11-29-2022 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies