Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 12:59 PM

43,209 posts, read 18,363,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
maybe, my meaning is not coming across the keyboard

alexa or any one of a similar type of devise, is always WAITING on the activation code...always listening FOR THE CODE, otherwise, she/it is NOT listening in on your conversation, and certainly not butting into it either
alexa is NOT recording any part of a conversation that she was not invited/activated into

I never said she was not listening at all, what I have said is, if not activated, she is not listening to your complete conversation.

there is a big difference between waiting(listening) for an activation code for converse/action, and just listening in on a conversation as being a buttinski
You are trying to convince yourself that Alexa is not listening until you say her name and then she listens.
LOL..."waiting listening" doesn't count ?

It's ALWAYS ON

Dated but still might be useful to you..how to stop Alexa from listening all the time.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue...h=66e9fd105e2d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 12:59 PM

1,432 posts, read 764,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Without getting too deep or off topic, just know that everything these devices hear is recorded, transcribed and permanently stored. EVERYTHING.
I'd love to read more about this fantasy. Technical details regarding how this is accomplished would be especially welcome.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I'd love to read more about this fantasy. Technical details regarding how this is accomplished would be especially welcome.
Snowden showed you.

This isn't new...go look up Room 641A on google.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,594,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You used the systems I maintained. That's the difference. You wrote software. I had access to every byte stored in or transmitted through the main clearinghouse of the 3rd largest bank in California, and I wasn't even an employee. You're a consumer. I'm an administrator. Completely different mindset and if, after 20 years in the field, you don't get what that difference is, I won't be able to explain it to you. I don't care if you're impressed or not. It is what it is.
Don't worry I've seen enough washed up system admins thinking that referencing a career that peaked back when they used their bonus money to buy a new VCR talking about how glorious their power was. I think we can definitely agree that neither one of us is impressed by the others' career, the difference you're the one bragging about your privs back in the day as if it is a tech thread trump card, I'm pointing out mine to tell you I see through right through you.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:07 PM

3,084 posts, read 3,271,655 times
Quote:
maybe, my meaning is not coming across the keyboard

alexa or any one of a similar type of devise, is always WAITING on the activation code...always listening FOR THE CODE, otherwise, she/it is NOT listening in on your conversation, and certainly not butting into it either
alexa is NOT recording any part of a conversation that she was not invited/activated into

I never said she was not listening at all, what I have said is, if not activated, she is not listening to your complete conversation.

there is a big difference between waiting(listening) for an activation code for converse/action, and just listening in on a conversation as being a buttinski
OK, how about this:

A voice agent works by continuously "listening" for it's activation phrase. Anything said that does not contain the activation phrase is subsequently "ignored" (maybe or maybe not, let's assume it actually is ignored). Once it "hears" the activation phrase, it now attempts to "understand" what is subsequently said as it's now listening for a command. If the "command" is something it thinks it can accomplish, it will execute on it, if not, then it will ignore and/or ask for clarification and/or upload what it thought was the phrase (and any context before/after) to help improve the service.

The crux of this thread is that:

A) the devices are ALWAYS listening
B) what actually gets "stored" and where it gets stored to (on device or on service) is the primary area of concern
C) if used simply for service improvement, then there isn't as big of a problem. The concern however is that it can/will be used for "other" purposes
D) without snooping on the devices network traffic, we can only assume/trust what the manufacturers are telling us. You either "trust" them or you don't.

It's far more complex and nuanced than a simple thread on CD could ever possibly hope to delve into (e.g. is anonymization and/or aggregation adequate).

Old 11-29-2022, 01:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 995,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There seems to be two approaches among tech people: One group who'll have their entire home wired to the nth degree and are trying to find a cloud-enabled robot to take out the trash. And the other group who, to steal a phrase, "keepa gun ready to shoot their printer if it makes a wrong noise".
Blue painter's tape over the laptop's camera. Dressed in pixelated camo clothing in case that blue light over the fridge's ice dispenser is actually a camera. Ukrainian speed metal at full volume in case that bastard printer is making a side-channel attack by listening to the beat of my keystrokes on the laptop. Tinfoil over everything. Every. Thing.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:09 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,513,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
How can the bolded be true? Your statement defies logic.

I was gifted an Echo, when they first came out. My Echo used to say "Sorry, I did not understand you.", at random times, without prompting it. That was when I unplugged it and threw it in the closet!
so because of an issue where Alexa thought she heard the activate code "ALexa" you just got rid of it???

that would be like killing a person with CAPD (Central Auditory Processing disorder) where they think they heard something, but what they heard was not what was said.

alexa like any computer, or person still needs to learn, understand what is being said, like a poster above said, there are many dialects, just within the USA, let alone the worlI love technology, I love it even more when it works like it is supposed to..

why fear it???

Old 11-29-2022, 01:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,594,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Who do you think you are? Some amateur CD lawyer? You can't badger me into the corner that you want me in with your demand for a Yes/No answer.
Of course not, answering would either expose you as delusional or sink your argument, which is why you instead launched into a long-winded avoidance post.

My position is that the people in this thread who seem to believe a couple old tech guys saying they wouldn't have smart devices in their home is somehow proof of anything aren't making a lot of sense, they are in the minority including among those who actually work in that sector of the industry today.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Blue painter's tape over the laptop's camera. Dressed in pixelated camo clothing in case that blue light over the fridge's ice dispenser is actually a camera. Ukrainian speed metal at full volume in case that bastard printer is making a side-channel attack by listening to the beat of my keystrokes on the laptop. Tinfoil over everything. Every. Thing.
Now go see how China is tracking down the people that rioted......
That is current events.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:16 PM

3,084 posts, read 3,271,655 times
Quote:
why fear it???
The point of many opposed to leveraging the technology is not a fear of the technology itself, rather, it's a fear of the misuse of one of the key artifacts of that technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies