Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 08:47 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Walmart has always been a crappy place full of thieves and misfits. I worked at a Best Buy in the late 90s, our GM was a former Walmart GM in a mid sized city and the amount of shrink he talked about back then was insane. Back in the late 80s when I was about 11 (way before they sold groceries) my mother walked me to a fitting room, where somebody dropped a monster sh*t all over a pile of new clothes on the floor. About maybe 10 years ago they had problems with cosmetic thefts which is why they are locked now. You could also witness guys stealing beer at the bottom of their carts, hoping no one would notice. That place has always sucked, and this was happening in red & blue cities and suburbs for decades. It doesn’t even take a fully functioning brain to see this is hardly a political topic.
This I can agree on. Wal-Mart was always kind of a trashy store for as long as I remember (I'm 36 years old). Every Wal-Mart I've been in, it attracts a sizable underclass element. By underclass, I'm talking about individuals who take no pride in themselves, the junkies, the drunks, thieves, etc. Same goes for the dollar stores. Most of what I'm describing took place in Republican-ran areas.

I've also noticed that customer service at Wal-Mart tends to be substandard. You get the feeling many of the people working there just don't care.

I've never seen feces on any store floor in Wal-Mart. I do know that every time I've been to Wal-Mart, it looks messy in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Theft = the Dem's poor assistance / wealth redistribution tax.

Besides, the term theft is sooo racist. Change it to "Community Direct Wealth Redistribution" as it is cost efficient, no government oversight needed, no local officials/law enforcement required!

See how it also fits into 'Defund The Police' - perfect!
Just a matter of time before someone would try to bring race into this.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:57 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Walmart has always been a crappy place full of thieves and misfits. I worked at a Best Buy in the late 90s, our GM was a former Walmart GM in a mid sized city and the amount of shrink he talked about back then was insane. Back in the late 80s when I was about 11 (way before they sold groceries) my mother walked me to a fitting room, where somebody dropped a monster sh*t all over a pile of new clothes on the floor. About maybe 10 years ago they had problems with cosmetic thefts which is why they are locked now. You could also witness guys stealing beer at the bottom of their carts, hoping no one would notice. That place has always sucked, and this was happening in red & blue cities and suburbs for decades. It doesn’t even take a fully functioning brain to see this is hardly a political topic.
"Well it's always been that way" isn't exactly a logical explanation for large recent increases.

I already cited the changes in Illinois law making felony retail theft not trigger until $1000.

If you're just giving out wrist slaps or not arresting\prosecuting.

In short, I personally would think that changes to laws and the operation of both enforcement and prosecution would be political.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:00 AM

1,134 posts, read 405,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Every Wal-Mart I've been in, it attracts a sizable underclass element. By underclass, I'm talking about individuals who take no pride in themselves, the junkies, the drunks, thieves, etc. Same goes for the dollar stores. Most of what I'm describing took place in Republican-ran areas.
I'm in California, a mainly Democrat controlled state. You would see the same kind of individuals at the Wal-Marts here too.

I remember a neighbor where I used to live say she was heading to Wal-Mart early, to get out of there before all the crazy people come in.

Usually the people you described don't have much money. So they shop at Wal-Mart and Dollar stores.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:04 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Dude, where have you been...it's been at the very root of recent reforms which have had impacts both good and bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFE-T_Act

Quote:
The Safety, Accountability, Fairness and Equity-Today Act, commonly known as the SAFE-T Act, is an Illinois statute enacted in 2021 that makes a number of reforms to the criminal justice system
E is for Equity! But, let's not bring race into this.

Quote:
Following the widespread George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020, the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus proposed an extensive legislative package that included criminal justice reforms
Psssst...Black Caucus, George Floyd...but let's not bring race into this.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:14 AM

11,269 posts, read 11,037,507 times
Quote:
Is this off limits? Truth is, if a retail giant increases their store staffing by 10-20% company wide and closes down all their locations that are in crime infested ghettoes, their shrink levels will plummet. Will there still be shrink? Of course, but not at the same insane levels. When was the last time you saw a flash mob comprised of Norwegians?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:17 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Is this off limits? Truth is, if a retail giant increases their store staffing by 10-20% company wide and closes down all their locations that are in crime infested ghettoes, their shrink levels will plummet. Will there still be shrink? Of course, but not at the same insane levels. When was the last time you saw a flash mob comprised of Norwegians?
I thought the dripping sarcasm was quite evident in my original post - but then I forgot that humor/sarcasm has been replaced with group think clapping points for the left.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:24 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I thought the dripping sarcasm was quite evident in my original post - but then I forgot that humor/sarcasm has been replaced with group think clapping points for the left.
Use your emojis. Words are no longer enough.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRider View Post
I'm in California, a mainly Democrat controlled state. You would see the same kind of individuals at the Wal-Marts here too.

I remember a neighbor where I used to live say she was heading to Wal-Mart early, to get out of there before all the crazy people come in.

Usually the people you described don't have much money. So they shop at Wal-Mart and Dollar stores.
I used to live in Georgia and now I'm in Alabama. I was in the Republican suburbs outside of Atlanta. There were some Democrat ran areas with Wal-Marts. It was mainly minority-dominated inner ring suburbs. For some reason I don't remember ever seeing Wal-Marts in Atlanta proper.

In some sketchy neighborhoods, there aren't even Wal-Marts. On some cases the Dollar stores function as the grocery store.

I try to avoid Wal-Marts at all times. I hate going into them. Every time I have gone to Wal-Mart, there's a weird underclass vibe to it. It's not so much the shoppers, but that element itself. I've seen addicts out in the Wal-Mart parking lots. This wasn't in the inner city. This was a small, exurban town 30 miles from Atlanta.

Recently, Buc Ees has expanded outside of Texas. Alabama and Georgia have a few locations. It's basically an oversized convenience store (everything's bigger in Texas). I've shopped at Buc Ees. There are times Buc Ees gets more customers than Wal-Mart. There is an underclass element that sometimes could be found there,but nearly as much as Wal-Mart. I've never seen advertisement for Buc Ees. However, it is easily one of the most crowded places I've been. Gas, food, camping gear, some clothes, soap, snacks, etc. I do wonder if Buc Ees could put some Wal-Marts out of business.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:49 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dude, where have you been...it's been at the very root of recent reforms which have had impacts both good and bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFE-T_Act

E is for Equity! But, let's not bring race into this.

Psssst...Black Caucus, George Floyd...but let's not bring race into this.
Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies