Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 02:58 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
There would probably be lawsuits. So my idea that I just posted might work. Member level access prices and a window you can order through if you don't have enough social standing to not steal and loot.
Costco and Sams clubs have memberships just to name 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 02:59 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So? If nobody is watching what the scanner records, how would Walmart find the shoplifter?
Self check out has been around for a long time. The current spike is not due to that.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:00 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, there are cases where people get banned from stores as well as get imprisoned. The thief might get banned from THAT store, but they'll go on to steal from other stores, or from people in the streets. Many thieves understand nothing but violence.
I was simply thinking of solutions for the store. I don't have the answer to societies problems. However I think some of my idea could eliminate most shoplifting and perhaps even mass shooters. That would be very tight control of the exits and entrance,

Old 12-06-2022, 03:07 PM

11,507 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Maybe they should think about putting more staff back in the stores and eliminate the self checkouts. Shop lifting is certainly more likely to occur when nobody is watching.
LOL.

We have 50 videos.

Crews sacking stores while threatening people with hammer or guns.

Store staff unable to stop guys running out of CVS pharmacy with garbage bags full of items.

Store staff wrestling big flat-screen TVs from thieves dragging them outside of Target.

Louis Vutton, smash-and-grab anyone?

Meanwhile, store staff have been told not to stop thieves. You could have 700 checkout clerks and they would all be standing around watching the thieves leave with the goods, because they know their boss will fire them if they get involved.

Where you been? Somebody clearly hasn't been paying attention.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=shoplifting

Old 12-06-2022, 03:08 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Maybe they should think about putting more staff back in the stores and eliminate the self checkouts. Shop lifting is certainly more likely to occur when nobody is watching.

This.

And let security actually stop them in the act the way they used to.

I have a relative who works in retail that was coming in to start his shift and saw shoplifters walking out with duffle bags full of merchandise. He flagged down a police car that happened to be driving by.

He got reprimanded and came very close to getting fired.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:10 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I was simply thinking of solutions for the store. I don't have the answer to societies problems. However I think some of my idea could eliminate most shoplifting and perhaps even mass shooters. That would be very tight control of the exits and entrance,
Walmart theft problems are the tip of the iceberg. This can happen anywhere. I think about this. Where I live therewith some thieves who stole a television from Walmart. They were caught on camera doing it too. They either had to be very bold, or very stupid. Or they didn't care about the consequences. I live in a tough on crime state.

Theft is rising, and not just with Walmart. Best Buy, Target, Dollar General. This is not just a store problem. It's a societal problem.

Tight controls on who gets in and who doesn't, I would be careful with that. It could turn into "we reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone for any reason". That could get sticky. It could also turn into people getting robbed on the streets. Thiefs stop for no one.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:12 PM

11,507 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
There’s workers in the scanner areas, and there’s video of the person doing the scanning. It’s quite simple
So the Walmart CEO is lying about crippling theft so high they will begin closing stores?

Who steals at checkout scanners? That is dumb.

People go into changing rooms with 4 outfits and then wear them out of the store under the street clothes they came in with. Sometime caught, often not.

People shove expensive items into pockets and down shirt fronts or into purses. So the alarm goes off. Too late. The getaway driver is there and they are gone.

People fill shopping carts with electronics and expensive goods, then go to the entrance and order a cheap Starbucks or McDonald's item. When they see the getaway driver out front, they race out with the cart, toss it in the car, jump in and off they go.

Who is stupid enough to steal at the checkout scanners? Retail theives are lot smarter than that.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:13 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,730,079 times
I've seen thieves walk out with appliances and groceries right in front of the loss prevention people and they just look at them and let them pass right on by.

They don't hire competent loss prevention people how is a 4'11 loss prevention officer in her mid 60s to 70s unarmed supposed to stop a thief?

Maybe hire more off-duty police? maybe the defund police nonsense stopped all of that.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Bingo…and it stops scanning when an item is put in the bagging area that hasn’t been scanned.

That's actually pretty easy to fool.

People switch tags on items while in the store and then scan an item for $3.99 that actually costs $25.

Also, the scanners don't pick up lighter items that people sneek into bags etc.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
There’s workers in the scanner areas, and there’s video of the person doing the scanning. It’s quite simple

And what good does that do if they don't enforce it?

Many stores have a non confrontation policy that says employees can't attempt to stop a shoplifter. That includes people scamming the scanners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies