Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 08:19 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times

Advertisements

They lost 3.8 million subscribers in India. Total loss in U.S. and Canada was 200,000.

Do you think they’re losing subscribers in India because they’re too woke? If you excluded India, the rest is growing.

By comparison with their streaming competitors, The Mouse is doing just fine. They still had 161.8 million subscribers at the end of December and the company has estimated that Disney+ will have between 215 and 245 million subscribers by the time it reaches its 5th year anniversary in 2024.

Disney owned properties ESPN+ and Hulu are both growing at a 2% clip.

All from your own article, by the way.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-10-2023 at 08:45 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 08:18 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Collateral damage. We are all getting it from the Left, in some manner or other. For some it is directly or indirectly financial. For others, it is loss of freedom or culture. Still others, it is loss of physical or mental health.

The employees don't deserve it, but neither do the rest of us, like all the Californians who will want to buy a gas powered car in 2036, or own a new home without solar panels. How about all the parents who don't want their children getting Leftist indoctrination in schools. I would rather get laid off than have a child who is brainwashed into woke culture.

We are all being impacted by Leftist politicies.
Some moreso than others....

...I live in a deep Red community, w/in deep Red state, so I have some protection from the woke attacks.

I went to Disney 15 yrs ago, before their attacks upon society began, but I won't return; unless they openly denounce wokeism.

I have not had cable tv, or watched any non-sports broadcast tv in 10 yrs.. I cancelled Disney, & most media-related libs.

I can't wait until satellite internet takes over, so I can fire Comast too. I have no Red alternative right now.

I vote everyday with the $'s I spend. If every Pub, & right-leaning Indy did too, we'd bankrupt Disney, & all the rest of those attacking us.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:37 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
The more woke companies fail, the better it is for American society....& freedom. I feel bad for the 7,000 though...many of them hate Disney's woke attacks upon our way of life.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:10 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Nobody has yet explained to me how Disney lost 3.8 million customers in India by being “woke”.

That’s the reason they lost a net of 2.4 million customers last quarter. Exclude India and they gained customers.

Do you guys even bother to read the attachments you post?

Quote:
Disney Plus lost 2.4 million subscribers in the three months ended Dec. 31, Disney said Wednesday, as the subscriber base of its flagship streaming service fell for the first time since the company launched it in 2019.

Disney's deepest streaming-subscriber losses were at its Disney Plus Hotstar service, which is an Indian offering priced way lower than the company's streaming services elsewhere. There, its member base dropped by 3.8 million accounts.

And Disney Plus also lost 200,000 subscribers in the US and Canada. But growth internationally elsewhere offset some of the declines. Overall, Disney Plus has 161.8 million subscribers as of the end of December.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-a...he-first-time/

If they lost 3.8 million customers in India but only 2.4 million overall, it means that excluding India, they actually gained an additional 1.4 million customers in the quarter.

So if going “woke” is going to be the downfall of Disney, and this is supposed to be the proof of that, why did going “woke” have such a detrimental affect in India, of all places?

Offending India’s massive fundamentalist Christian consumer group? Offending sacred cows?

What is “woke” in India?

I’m listening.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-11-2023 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 04:50 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Just serve your market. If Disney's base is mostly black and Hispanic, then serve that base, but with just good entertainment, not an agenda or a preachy sermon. That millions of Disney customers are leaving, tells me that for whatever reasons, they are not connecting with their customers anymore, whoever that is.

You change or go out of business.

Why should they change? The parks are doing extremely well. They lost some subscribers on their streaming service after they raised the price. Had not one thing to do with wokeness. You guys are trying to pass off what you wish the reason they lost subscribers is as if it was fact, but not one of you can provide any kind of link to show a connection between woke policies and lost streaming subscribers. If it was due to people bowing out of Disney due to their politics, that would be evident in the parks, but the parks revenue grew in every quarter.

They need to manage their operating costs with their streaming services, because as the link I provided earlier shows, their high operating costs are one of the biggest reasons they need to do these layoffs. Their streaming service only isn't profitable because of their operating costs.

This "alternate facts" universe, where you can make something true by simply proclaiming that it is, with zero evidence that it is, is going to be the downfall of this country.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:06 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
“Conservative cancel culture” does not exist. ...
Yes it does. Especially MAGA types.

We see it constantly.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:33 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes, millions dropped their woke streaming service. not sure why you think this is some kinda save
Because the original premise of this thread is that Disney cut employees because it was "woke" (whatever that means ... today, anyway; I'm sure tomorrow the definition will be different), when in fact Disney cut employees because it's reorganizing its streaming service.

I know facts are inconvenient for some folk, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I went to Disney 15 yrs ago, before their attacks upon society began.
LMAO ... Please describe said "attacks".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Nobody has yet explained to me how Disney lost 3.8 million customers in India by being “woke”.
The people screaming "woke" the loudest don't know what it means. They can't define it. Their definition shifts from day to day. To use another favorite word of this crowd, they've weaponized the word "woke".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You guys are trying to pass off what you wish the reason they lost subscribers is as if it was fact, but not one of you can provide any kind of link to show a connection between woke policies and lost streaming subscribers.
Let alone define what "woke policies" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
“Conservative cancel culture” does not exist.
Are you serious? Have you read through this thread, let alone various threads in this forum?

Old 02-13-2023, 07:42 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
So if going “woke” is going to be the downfall of Disney, and this is supposed to be the proof of that, why did going “woke” have such a detrimental affect in India, of all places?

Offending India’s massive fundamentalist Christian consumer group? Offending sacred cows?

What is “woke” in India?

I’m listening.
India has been going through some sh**. With the election of Modi to PM they took a hard right turn to Hindi ethno-nationalism. Modi is a fascist, although some argue that Hindi nationalism is just "ethnic absolutism" (not that that is too much better than straight up fascism).

Under Modi, there has been an uptick of cow vigilante violence. While almost 80% of Indians are Hindi, there are still 169 million muslims and 2.8 million christians. They want to eat beef. Interestingly, in some of the most muslim areas, cow slaughter is illegal. Cow vigilantes go around and attack and kill beef smugglers and butchers.

naturally, there isn't woke in India. Woke is ebonics, and as African Americans don't live in India...

Old 02-13-2023, 10:42 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
India has been going through some sh**. With the election of Modi to PM they took a hard right turn to Hindi ethno-nationalism. Modi is a fascist, although some argue that Hindi nationalism is just "ethnic absolutism" (not that that is too much better than straight up fascism).

Under Modi, there has been an uptick of cow vigilante violence. While almost 80% of Indians are Hindi, there are still 169 million muslims and 2.8 million christians. They want to eat beef. Interestingly, in some of the most muslim areas, cow slaughter is illegal. Cow vigilantes go around and attack and kill beef smugglers and butchers.

naturally, there isn't woke in India. Woke is ebonics, and as African Americans don't live in India...
I guarantee you no one in India has heard about the kerfuffle between DeSantis and Disney. Do you think they get the same news feed we do?

There are 1000 business magazines online, Forbes, Business Insider etc that published that the reason they lost subscribers is they raised prices, and that they actually lost less subscribers than they were predicted to lose When they announced a raise in prices. Every other sector of Disney is growing. They raised prices, and they lost up some subscribers.

You (collectively) are so needy to believe that it’s about wokeism, that you ignore common sense (why on earth would they care about let alone follow what’s going on in Florida??) and the facts that have been published about it.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
The job eliminations at Disney will occur across all Disney properties including ESPN and movie studios. It`s being done in an effort to boost stock prices. I think we can put the "wokeness" Goofiness (not that Goofy) to bed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...job-cuts-iger/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies