Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 09:00 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, maybe he's harkening back to the rich history of immigrants in the US, that MADE the US, coming through Ellis Island, NY.

It was the immigrants processed through Ellis Island that created the incredible country that we are today.

Maybe he's trying to lay claim to that rich tradition again.

Times have changed, our needs have changed, our population numbers have changed, we have many homeless of our own, we are deeply in debt. These people are mostly bogus asylum claimants and illegal aliens that did not go through the legal process such as Ellis Island back then. They just snuck in looking to tap into our welfare dollars and take from American citizens. And you think this is the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 09:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Times have changed, our needs have changed, our population numbers have changed, we have many homeless of our own, we are deeply in debt. These people are mostly bogus asylum claimants and illegal aliens that did not go through the legal process such as Ellis Island back then. They just snuck in looking to tap into our welfare dollars and take from American citizens. And you think this is the same thing?
I'm talking about guys with ladders and chainsaws and muscles, who are willing to drive through the neighborhoods and do the job.

They're not looking for welfare, as many of our citizens are, they're looking to work and get paid for what they accomplish.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe he's making a point, is what I'm saying.

So here's a recent thing. My city, Austin, was hit with a horrid ice storm a couple weeks ago, and SO MUCH of our green canopy is broken limbs either on the ground, or hanging up in the air, called "widow makers". It's awful. Broken trees on the ground, broken dangerous trees in the air threatening to fall on people and kill them.

You know who's driving around in a truck hauling a makeshift trailer and chainsaws? And wood chippers?
Mexican men, who don't speak much English. For cash. 500, 1000, 1500 bucks they'll take care of your problem.

The city? You can call and schedule a pick up, weeks or even months out.

This country was built on people who wanted to better their lives, and were willing to work HARD, even 7 days a week sun up to sun down.

And it sounds like New York City, Ellis Island, is still open to welcome them.

Myself, I'm really hoping Jose comes back tomorrow to haul off more downed trees. This crew came from Houston, and they're sleeping in their trucks between working really hard for $$$.
I'd be willing to bet that many if not most of the Mexican men you are speaking of were illegal aliens if they can't speak English and are sleeping in their trucks. No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. What part of that don't you get?

Old 02-11-2023, 09:05 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
Quote:
Well, maybe he's harkening back to the rich history of immigrants in the US, that MADE the US, coming through Ellis Island, NY.

It was the immigrants processed through Ellis Island that created the incredible country that we are today.

What you so conveniently forget, is that those immigrants made it on their own, with help from family and private charities. There was ZERO government assistance for those immigrants. Three out of my four grandparents were immigrants, and received nothing from the government.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that many if not most of the Mexican men you are speaking of were illegal aliens if they can't speak English and are sleeping in their trucks. No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. What part of that don't you get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
What you so conveniently forget, is that those immigrants made it on their own, with help from family and private charities. There was ZERO government assistance for those immigrants. Three out of my four grandparents were immigrants, and received nothing from the government.
Bingo…but Jose is cheap so it’s okay

Old 02-11-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about guys with ladders and chainsaws and muscles, who are willing to drive through the neighborhoods and do the job.

They're not looking for welfare, as many of our citizens are, they're looking to work and get paid for what they accomplish.
Bet they don't pay taxes on their earnings either so that's another law that they broke. Are you ok with that? Why do you condone law breaking and foreigners coming here illegally taking jobs from Americans? What kind of moral compass did you grow up with?

By the way, most of our citizens aren't lazy and they work hard!

Old 02-11-2023, 09:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Eric Adams now says that they are planning to spend 4.2 billion dollars on migrants and the amount is expected to grow even larger.

I guess the 4.2 billion is a little down-payment for the Big Apple on these "migrants".

I hope that Republican governors Abbott and DeSantis can send more buses and cause that amount to "expected to grow even larger" become larger than Democrat Eric Adams can ever dream of.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/nycs-p...ach-4-billion/
The wealthy need their cheap labor onsite, and handy. The taxpayers will pay for everything else to make it worthwhile for the cheap labor to even be here. It is no different than govt giving tax breaks to corporations to move somewhere. Because without which, it probably isnt not worth it as much. But with, the rich can prosper off the backs of everyone else.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Where is Eric Adams even getting this money?

Old 02-11-2023, 09:09 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:

Those folks are plentiful and have legitimate businesses.

How do you know Jose is legit and is paying taxes on the cash he’s getting, or are you okay with these folks not paying taxes?

Old 02-11-2023, 09:11 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:

so you are saying USCIS stopped processing LEGAL immigrants coming here, therefore, we must "trying to lay claim that rich tradition" of immigrants by allowing illegals coming to the US via southern border?

also, immigrants came to the US via Ellis Island did not receive any financial assistance from the govt back in those days., especially not 4.3 billion dollars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies