Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 09:19 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,256,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Bet they don't pay taxes on their earnings either so that's another law that they broke. Are you ok with that? Why do you condone law breaking and foreigners coming here illegally taking jobs from Americans? What kind of moral compass did you grow up with?

By the way, most of our citizens aren't lazy and they work hard!
Seems as they don’t want to answer the question about Jose paying taxes and possibly breaking laws and illegally taking jobs from Americans that are doing it legitimately…because cheap cash so it’s okay.

Folks may start looking for Jose and his muscles, ladders, and chainsaws driving through Austin neighborhoods and turning him in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 09:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Seems as they don’t want to answer the question about Jose paying taxes and possibly breaking laws and illegally taking jobs from Americans that are doing it legitimately…because cheap cash so it’s okay.

Folks may start looking for Jose and his muscles, ladders, and chainsaws driving through Austin neighborhoods and turning him in.
Um, yeah, no.

No one's turning him in.

It appears you live in the upper northeast.

You'll likely get this dynamic soon, with Republican governors shipping cheap labor from the south to your direction.

You'll get it. Just as every wave of immigrants, coming to the promise of America, has gotten it for hundreds of years.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:38 PM

4,962 posts, read 2,247,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, maybe he's harkening back to the rich history of immigrants in the US, that MADE the US, coming through Ellis Island, NY.

It was the immigrants processed through Ellis Island that created the incredible country that we are today.

Maybe he's trying to lay claim to that rich tradition again.
I don't think the history of Ellis Island immigration is as rich as you believe. Immigrants just didn't waltz in the front door. Some were detained, and others were isolated due to health issues. Women and children were not allowed to leave Ellis Island unless it was with a relative. I don't think that you fully understand the reality of Ellis Island.

America was also not the giant welfare state that it is today.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,256,711 times
Quote:
Um, yeah, no.

No one's turning him in.

It appears you live in the upper northeast.

You'll likely get this dynamic soon, with Republican governors shipping cheap labor from the south to your direction.

You'll get it. Just as every wave of immigrants, coming to the promise of America, has gotten it for hundreds of years.
You don’t know that, but you’re obviously not going to turn him in…because cheap, so it’s okay.

Such the obvious statement…as where I live when I’m not in Florida for 5-7 months is posted, and I’ve said I live in PA many times .

Quite the deflection and strawman arguments as you continue to ignore the question, and obviously have no issue with them working illegally and taking jobs from legitimate businesses/workers.

And these illegals are getting free stuff and costing taxpayers billions of dollars unlike those that came long before them.

Last edited by erieguy; 02-11-2023 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 09:44 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,404,184 times
We don’t need any more dishwashers, criminals and toilet scrubbers here.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:03 PM

7,166 posts, read 4,758,459 times
Quote:
Well, maybe he's harkening back to the rich history of immigrants in the US, that MADE the US, coming through Ellis Island, NY.

It was the immigrants processed through Ellis Island that created the incredible country that we are today.

Maybe he's trying to lay claim to that rich tradition again.
Seriously? First, the immigrants you’re referring to did not “create” our country. The country existed before they got here. Second, those people didn’t live off of taxpayers’ dollars, weren’t given free food long term that they threw into the trash, long-term shelter and long-term financial support. Most of them made it their business to learn English and to assimilate into our country and culture. They weren’t arrogant, were grateful and certainly didn’t demand their food menu.

Besides all criminals being rejected, those with diseases were held back. Each person was scrutinized. Here’s just a small portion of the process. We are being invaded and it’s out of control. The NY mayor is not representing his constituents, he’s abusing them.

Physical or mental examination rooms: Those with chalk marks were segregated to await further medical tests in the physical or mental examination rooms. Those suspected of having a contagious disease was set aside in a cage apart from the rest of the immigrants.

Medical problems: The type of medical problems that caused concern were cholera, favus (scalp and nail fungus), insanity, tuberculosis, epilepsy, and trachoma, a highly contagious eye infection that could cause blindness and death.

The Hospital: If a medical problem was curable, immigrants were sent to the island's hospital

Deportation: Those with incurable or disabling ailments were excluded from entry and returned to their port of departure at the expense of the shipping line on which they arrived. Only 80,000 immigrants (2%) were barred from entry to the Untied States for diseases or defects - an extremely small proportion

The Great Hall: The immigrants were then herded into the Registry Room (or Great Hall) where the verbal inspections took place.

The Legal Inspection: Inspectors used a list of 32 questions to determine if an immigrant should be admitted to America. These included their identity, place of origin, occupation, financial status and their planned destination in the United States. Inspectors rejected any immigrant with a criminal record

https://m.american-historama.org/188...on-process.htm

Old 02-11-2023, 11:20 PM

15,882 posts, read 6,586,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
We don’t need any more dishwashers, criminals and toilet scrubbers here.
For that much money, I suppose they can be kept busy filling potholes.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:58 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,532,906 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how "they came hundreds of years earlier" makes a particle of difference.

Same guys, hundreds of years removed.
It is not possible that people who came here in the late 1800's and early 1900's fought in the American Revolution or built the colonies that became this country. My ancestors came in the 1600's and some of them founded cities and some of their descendants were at the Continental Congress. The people at Ellis Island came here because this country was already here and prosperous.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:31 AM

24,716 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Absolutely pathetic that billions of dollars is being allocated for "migrants", when NYC already has a large homeless population. What about their needs for shelter? Send the migrants home on a one-way plane.
I disagree. Keep sending migrants to NYC, eventually the left will realize the ramifications of open borders.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:41 AM

11,879 posts, read 5,847,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Eric Adams now says that they are planning to spend 4.2 billion dollars on migrants and the amount is expected to grow even larger.

I guess the 4.2 billion is a little down-payment for the Big Apple on these "migrants".

I hope that Republican governors Abbott and DeSantis can send more buses and cause that amount to "expected to grow even larger" become larger than Democrat Eric Adams can ever dream of.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/nycs-p...ach-4-billion/
Being a Western NYer - I hope it stops - taxes are high enough and I'm grateful we'll be moving but I've friends and family who can't move for a variety of reasons so this is just one more way to hurt them. These are good hardworking blue collar people who don't deserve this added cost. Unfortunately the liberals in NYC along with the transplants make it hard to get out from under Democrat rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies