Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 07:30 AM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times

Advertisements

We need apples to apples comparisons to figure inflation. You can't look at last year's Campbell soup at 89 cents to today's Great Value at $1.40 and say it's a minor increase. Compare it to today's Campbell soup at $2.39 a can.

If you then want to save money (and lower your standard) by buying Great Value, well Great. But let's not fool ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 07:32 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
We need apples to apples comparisons to figure inflation. You can't look at last year's Campbell soup at 89 cents to today's Great Value at $1.40 and say it's a minor increase. Compare it to today's Campbell soup at $2.39 a can.

If you then want to save money (and lower your standard) by buying Great Value, well Great. But let's not fool ourselves.
exactly. comparing last years' campbells soup to this year's GV is a crock.

i do a lot of shopping at aldi and lidl which sell virtually nothing but store-brands, and their prices have gone up 15-40% in the past 2 years.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:35 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Here we go again with the Left moving the goal posts.

I'm sure there has been many people that have been forced to turn to the store brand of items to make their money stretch further. This is why we have been seeing those Dollar stores getting more popular.

Moving the goal posts and hyping the positives while downplaying the negatives. Welcome to politics 2023 where lying to us is all they can do.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,592 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:

The point is, food and sundry prices are all over the place. Luxury foods took a much higher price jump than staples. And what I'm seeing now, is things that went way up have come down somewhat. Notably, dryer sheets and shampoo.

Maybe that was a supply chain thing? I don't know. But it's not a linear 30% increase for food and sundries across the board. Some much less, some MUCH more.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:39 AM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Seeing as how WalMart, or any food retailer with house brands, gets their products from the name brand producer (Del Monte, for example), although usually of lesser quality (store brand cashews have more pieces than half and whole nuts, for example. Or the green beans are smaller, less held together with more stems) the prices there have gone up also.

Inflation will impact store brands just like it does the name brands.

The guy is an idiot.
I do buy some off brand things at Walmart. The Walmart house brand. In some cases the products are at least equal to the more expensive name brands. What I am seeing lately is an issue with the supply chain. Lots of things are becoming more and more scarce.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:41 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
I feel like somebody is trying to replace my premium gourmet coffee with Folgers crystals, charge me the same or more and make me think I am getting a deal.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I'm sure there has been many people that have been forced to turn to the store brand of items to make their money stretch further. This is why we have been seeing those Dollar stores getting more popular.

Moving the goal posts and hyping the positives while downplaying the negatives. Welcome to politics 2023 where lying to us is all they can do.
Speaking of dollar stores, beware of counterfeit stuff with very similar markings and slightly different spellings from name brand stuff. To stay with the soup theme, I saw what I thought was Andersen's Split Pea soup, looked the same. Sickly pea green can with orange bowel full of soup. Even the font was the same. Closer inspection revealed it was "Anderssons Split Pea soup". Don't recall where it came from... I doubt Northern California and certainly not Sweden as the name might suggest.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

If your goal here is to win an argument on an anonymous internet forum, it's likely you'll view this situation differently than people who are viewing it through the lens of how can we ease this up a little? And is this really as bad as headlines are making it seem? Are we still living a net positive life, or has this inflation become so difficult that we can no longer afford food?

Perspective is everything. If you're looking for something to be unhappy about, you'll always be rewarded by finding something.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Speaking of dollar stores, beware of counterfeit stuff with very similar markings and slightly different spellings from name brand stuff. To stay with the soup theme, I saw what I thought was Andersen's Split Pea soup, looked the same. Sickly pea green can with orange bowel full of soup. Even the font was the same. Closer inspection revealed it was "Anderssons Split Pea soup". Don't recall where it came from... I doubt Northern California and certainly not Sweden as the name might suggest.
Don't buy food at the dollar store. It's there for a reason.

Don't buy anything there where you can't immediately tell whether it's good or not. So, no pens, no batteries, nothing packaged where you can't really see it, etc.

Spatulas, vases, greeting cards are good.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If your goal here is to win an argument on an anonymous internet forum, it's likely you'll view this situation differently than people who are viewing it through the lens of how can we ease this up a little? And is this really as bad as headlines are making it seem? Are we still living a net positive life, or has this inflation become so difficult that we can no longer afford food?

Perspective is everything. If you're looking for something to be unhappy about, you'll always be rewarded by finding something.
Maybe the goal is to view things truthfully and not accept the gov't peeing on our legs and telling us it's raining. Like I said in my previous post, if you want to lower your standards and buy the store brand at that point, that's fine. But it's also a different topic then this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies