Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 06:08 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We're not under covid circumstances. Walmart's CURRENT profit margin is negative. They're LOSING money, not making a profit.
And much of that is a trickle down from closures around the world coupled now with bad policy set by Biden. I know you’re smart enough to know these are not normal economic times. Haven’t been for three years now. Walmart may choose to raise their prices even more if it keeps up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 06:09 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Next we'll be hearing him wanting to use the dollar store prices to measure inflation.
I mean, there’s something to that as well. Dollar Tree did raise prices because they couldn’t make the packages any smaller. They had been reducing package sizes in order to keep things at a dollar. Now it’s like $1.25 for everything, depends on the local market. Still same smaller packages they had already been using. That is still inflationary.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:20 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Does that not make sense? If Walmart Great Value foods can maintain a constant pricing structure throughout this food inflation, why is that not something interesting to look at?

I have seen some SHOCKING rises in brand name, and convenience and luxury foods in the grocery store, but the off-brand foods and very basic staples have been relatively constant.

Why is that not worth noting?
Companies like WalMart will force manufacturers that create their store brands to give discounts to the company to remain part of their supply chain. It is not a fair comparison to regular brands that can't control markets by cutting them off.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:54 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
And much of that is a trickle down from closures around the world coupled now with bad policy set by Biden. I know you’re smart enough to know these are not normal economic times. Haven’t been for three years now. Walmart may choose to raise their prices even more if it keeps up.
You didn't bother to look at the ychart link I posted. Walmart's profit margin was in negative territory before covid in 2018.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:56 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
I mean, there’s something to that as well. Dollar Tree did raise prices because they couldn’t make the packages any smaller. They had been reducing package sizes in order to keep things at a dollar. Now it’s like $1.25 for everything, depends on the local market. Still same smaller packages they had already been using. That is still inflationary.
No one forces you to shop at Dollar Tree.

Anyone has the freedom to shop in bulk at Costco, Wal-Mart, Amazon, Target, etc. this isn’t North Korea.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:04 AM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Are off brand foods more consistent? Name brands have a consistent fixed price, slightly under fixed price or depending on the product they might go out and source it it from questionable third parties.
Walmart brands have doubled and tripled in price.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:14 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:

Smaller packages are inflationary but it does not show up in inflation numbers. But over the course of the year you have to buy more of those items than before leaving you with less cash.

I had not been to a 99 cent only store for a couple years and they are just like Dollar General now. Very little is 99 cents or even 1.25. But as busy as ever.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 855,366 times
Walmart literally sells the worst produce and probably top three worst meat selection in the entire country and they use a lot of marketing deception. Take it from somebody who is in food distribution nationwide. I work with some of the largest vendors out there and most of the stuff you buy from Walmart it’s fake. Chickens been pumped full of sodium and water. Take some of their chicken nuggets for example and break them down. You won’t believe your eyes. And then the little sliver of chicken that’s left? That’s been pumped full of sodium and water. Start out with a three ounce chicken tender and it has .22 ounces of chicken it. You are eating crap. I challenge you to buy any fresh blueberries and show me even one single blueberry that is tart and plump and not mushy and disintegrating. They purposely by the rejected produce that no other store chain out there will take. Some of the most pesticide saturated produce on the planet. They’re great value products are all garbage too. Frozen fruits and vegetables and seafood given twice the natural volume that it has with water infiltration. It’s disgusting it’s not even real food. And yet you guys flock to Walmart and buy their garbage.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:34 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Walmart literally sells the worst produce and probably top three worst meat selection in the entire country and they use a lot of marketing deception. Take it from somebody who is in food distribution nationwide. I work with some of the largest vendors out there and most of the stuff you buy from Walmart it’s fake. Chickens been pumped full of sodium and water. Take some of their chicken nuggets for example and break them down. You won’t believe your eyes. And then the little sliver of chicken that’s left? That’s been pumped full of sodium and water. Start out with a three ounce chicken tender and it has .22 ounces of chicken it. You are eating crap. I challenge you to buy any fresh blueberries and show me even one single blueberry that is tart and plump and not mushy and disintegrating. They purposely by the rejected produce that no other store chain out there will take. Some of the most pesticide saturated produce on the planet. They’re great value products are all garbage too. Frozen fruits and vegetables and seafood given twice the natural volume that it has with water infiltration. It’s disgusting it’s not even real food. And yet you guys flock to Walmart and buy their garbage.
When supermarkets had their own butchers, they would add water to ground beef before it was packaged to make it weigh more. But since they operate at less than 2% profit, what do you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies