Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 08:26 AM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I do buy some off brand things at Walmart. The Walmart house brand. In some cases the products are at least equal to the more expensive name brands. What I am seeing lately is an issue with the supply chain. Lots of things are becoming more and more scarce.
My local Target had full milk cases for the first time in 6 months. For the past 6 months, there has been no Target brand organic milk or most other name brand milk. Most of the case has been empty and I have had to scrounge other stores for organic milk. I was pleasantly surprised to finally see a full stocked milk case last week.

They broke the world over Covid. The draconian shut downs were not even close to worth it. Very little safety gained for massive losses everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 08:26 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If your goal here is to win an argument on an anonymous internet forum, it's likely you'll view this situation differently than people who are viewing it through the lens of how can we ease this up a little? And is this really as bad as headlines are making it seem? Are we still living a net positive life, or has this inflation become so difficult that we can no longer afford food?

Perspective is everything. If you're looking for something to be unhappy about, you'll always be rewarded by finding something.
It isn't about winning arguments, it's about not obfuscating the fact that our inflation is out of control and getting worse - despite the creative attempts by those who support the current idiocy to pretend otherwise.

Out of curiosity, at what point do you feel inflation is a problem? How many people should we allow to "no longer afford food" before we start asking the powers that be why they aren't doing their jobs? Right now, the number of people who are being priced out of simple things like food is growing. At what point does it become untenable for you? When it's actually you that is being affected by it? Your family? People that you know?

You always post things that make you sound compassionate about the plight of the economically disadvantaged. Then, once in a while, the truth slips out. In your effort to defend the stupidity of the Biden administration, you just let slip that you don't actually care about poor people at all. You only care about the optics.

We have an administration that is destroying our economy. There is no other logical way to view it. Every single thing that the government is doing is undermining the very things that make the economy work. The only question is whether they are doing it on purpose or if they really are stupid enough to think they are helping.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:28 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
It's a pure and simple case of manipulating the numbers here.

Don't let them fool you.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Does that not make sense? If Walmart Great Value foods can maintain a constant pricing structure throughout this food inflation, why is that not something interesting to look at?

I have seen some SHOCKING rises in brand name, and convenience and luxury foods in the grocery store, but the off-brand foods and very basic staples have been relatively constant.

Why is that not worth noting?
the "great-value" Walmart generic brand has seen drastic increases in prices too

Old 02-23-2023, 08:47 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
NBC says that Wal-Mart's "Great Value" products should be used to measure food inflation and not brand names.

The establishment media elites will do anything to make Biden's inflation rate lower.

First, the Wall Street Journal suggested skipping breakfast to save money and now NBC wants brand-names to be substituted with store-brands to lower the inflation rate.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b2286923.html
It's a different message, but the same basic theme.

The "Inflation isn't really happening, you just need to be "smarter" in how you buy. Not once did I hear him mention the percentage prices have increased (inflation). He only talked about the current prices and how the branded items are more expensive than non-branded ones.

Threads like this show up, and inevitably we get the "Well yea bacon might be $7.99, but I use a coupon and it is only $4.99". Totally ignoring the fact that just a short time ago bacon was only $3.99 without a coupon.

Store brands have the same pressure, that he seemed to ignore.

One example. I used to be able to get a jar of name-brand pasta sauce for $1.99, store brands were $1.29. I'm now paying $2.89 for that same jar, about a 30% increase. The Store brand is $1.69. So yes the store brand only went up $0.40 vs. $0.90 but the percentage is equivalent.

Based on his theory, let's have the Costco Chicken Index...Those chickens have been $4.99 as long as I can remember...0% inflation...

Old 02-23-2023, 08:54 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,906,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
NBC says that Wal-Mart's "Great Value" products should be used to measure food inflation and not brand names.

The establishment media elites will do anything to make Biden's inflation rate lower.

First, the Wall Street Journal suggested skipping breakfast to save money and now NBC wants brand-names to be substituted with store-brands to lower the inflation rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP4qB5N0n5A

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b2286923.html
Inflation IS inflation! It's obviously NOT "transitory," like our President famously said a couple of years ago. When a dozen eggs costs more than a high-priced gallon of gas, we have a problem! (How's emptying the Strategic Petroleum Reserve working out?) NBC and the federal government sugarcoating what's going on and misleading the public isn't going to fix it! This inflation is here to stay folks. Live with it!

Old 02-23-2023, 09:07 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Don't buy food at the dollar store. It's there for a reason.

Don't buy anything there where you can't immediately tell whether it's good or not. So, no pens, no batteries, nothing packaged where you can't really see it, etc.

Spatulas, vases, greeting cards are good.
With pens with a clear body, you can see how much ink is in them.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:08 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Wal mart doesn't make money on many items they sell, they just sell them to get people to come into the stores and then they buy other items while there. Same as for their lower prices. They strong arm companies to give them the best prices because they buy in huge volume. I don't mind buying off brand items but many times the prices are the same as name brand items. And my locally owned chain grocery store has taken to selling off brand items that are of lower cost and quality that I've never heard of. I won't buy them.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:23 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
"Substitution" is one of the ways that people deal with inflation.

Buy generic, buy chicken instead of steak etc.

This is why the commonly used inflation measures may slightly overstate inflation.

That being said, the Fed's "market basket" should already include a variety of items that includes everything from lobster to generic stuff.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:30 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
"Substitution" is one of the ways that people deal with inflation.

Buy generic, buy chicken instead of steak etc.

This is why the commonly used inflation measures may slightly overstate inflation.

That being said, the Fed's "market basket" should already include a variety of items that includes everything from lobster to generic stuff.
How to help deal with a problem is a different topic from admitting there IS a problem. That is what the fed and the left are having an issue with. Once we move on from there, we can discuss all sorts of strategies to help mitigate it but until we are honest there will be this back and forth. Are people THAT desensitized to being lied to that they just accept it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies