Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 10:22 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times

Advertisements

Things like can goods, box dinners, etc. Walmart has set costs on these items by contract for 6-9 months. Then their cost goes up and so do prices. You may see a huge jump because some of the wholesalers were breaking even or losing money at the end of the contract.
We only have one supermarket left and a Walmart. I do all our grocery shopping, so I can tell you, Walmart store brands have increased at least 30% over the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 10:24 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Moving the goal posts and hyping the positives while downplaying the negatives. Welcome to politics 2023 where lying to us is all they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If your goal here is to win an argument on an anonymous internet forum, it's likely you'll view this situation differently than people who are viewing it through the lens of how can we ease this up a little? And is this really as bad as headlines are making it seem? Are we still living a net positive life, or has this inflation become so difficult that we can no longer afford food?

Perspective is everything. If you're looking for something to be unhappy about, you'll always be rewarded by finding something.

I'm not trying to win an argument. I'm just pointing out that they are lying to us about everything and looking at things from different angles to make it seem that things are not as bad as they are.

Earlier when inflation started to surge thanks to the crazy dumping of cash that Dems were dropping they tried to downplay the numbers by not including food in the equation. We all need food but the rising cost of it due to inflation, supply chain issues and other factors was dropped because it made the Biden admin look bad.

The Dems are experts at manipulating the message to make themselves look better.

It is the question if the glass is half empty or half full. When Trump was President that glass was running over but the Dems would never admit it and they are telling us that it was actually half empty. Biden told us that he was handed an economy that was in shambles. Really? He also told us that we didn't have a vaccine for Covid until he was in office even though he received his shot just after the election...?

Now they are telling us that the glass is half full. It is all in the reporting and the perspective. Hey Gas is now $3 that is much better than $5 per gallon isn't it? I don't know because I think it was better when gas was $2 but Biden will take a bow that he reduced it $2 YAHHH!! as he is getting ready to further drain our strategic preserve....

Are we in a recession? Is inflation still surging? Is the glass half empty or half full? I'd say it is half empty because we are living with higher interest rates, higher costs on everything and worse is an uncertain future and no confidence in Biden to lead us out of the mess that he has created.

Seriously though. The Dems told us that Trump would wreck the economy and lead us into WW3. Open your eyes and look around at what Biden is doing, we are hurting and WW3 is looming. Don't even get me going on the Border crisis.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
MEH -- whatever.

I will argue that the Republican running our district claimed eggs were 8.99 -- I think she went to Whole Foods and looked at organic eggs.

I paid 2.99 the other day -- not on sale.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:30 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
In other words, the government wants to lie even more about inflation than they already do, just as they do about most everything else.

Not everyone buys Walmart crap. About as honest as declaring the US average worker wages based on the average salary of fortune 500 CEOs. Totally ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
In other words, the government wants to lie even more about inflation than they already do, just as they do about most everything else.

Not everyone buys Walmart crap. About as honest as declaring the US average worker wages based on the average salary of fortune 500 CEOs. Totally ridiculous.
Many people can only afford Walmart crap. People on a fixed income can't afford the brand-name products.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:50 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many people can only afford Walmart crap. People on a fixed income can't afford the brand-name products.
That's not the point. The point is that basing published inflation rates on those specific prices is about as glaring example of skewing statistics as there ever was.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:56 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Does that not make sense? If Walmart Great Value foods can maintain a constant pricing structure throughout this food inflation, why is that not something interesting to look at?

I have seen some SHOCKING rises in brand name, and convenience and luxury foods in the grocery store, but the off-brand foods and very basic staples have been relatively constant.

Why is that not worth noting?
Store brand chicken breasts here still weekly 4.99 without a sale. 3.99 ever three weeks and 2.99 every six weeks or so.

Store eggs did to to 3.99 a dozen maybe a month ago.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
MEH -- whatever.

I will argue that the Republican running our district claimed eggs were 8.99 -- I think she went to Whole Foods and looked at organic eggs.

Walmart (great value) a dozen Jumbo eggs....$6.11

Old 02-23-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's not the point. The point is that basing published inflation rates on those specific prices is about as glaring example of skewing statistics as there ever was.
Oh, I agree. But people should know by now that our government has a long history of lying about everything. When I came back from Vietnam and read the government's statements about the war, I realized that they constantly lie.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:02 AM

5,946 posts, read 2,765,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
MEH -- whatever.

Egg price tracker, interactive map.

There are places where eggs are well over $6 for a dozen (mainly in California of course). The Walmarts in my city are north of $5/dozen. $5.32.
But there are regional differences in prices. New England, New York and Michigan are far more expensive than the south and other parts of the midwest for example.

https://eggspensive.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies