Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 03:22 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,134,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
ok, i buy walmart white bread which until a few months ago was 99 cents a loaf, A good deal now it has shot up to 1.32. still cheap but thats a 30% increase. As someone who actually buys Great Value products their prices have gone up significantly. Still cheaper then the brands but the percentage increase has been at least as bad. This NBC person has likely never brought Great Value. I know friends who are Elitist about it and wont touch the brand. But I am cheap, I always try the store brand first and if i like it I will buy it if not it goes on the dont touch it list. It's not a bargain if it sucks.
Yes, it went from 1.00 here to 1.79 I believe. It had some intermediate point as well but quickly jumped again. It isn’t white but honey wheat, for me.

I buy a lot of Great Value stuff, Parent’s Choice, etc. but still a decent amount of name brand items. The prices have been up across the board since spring/summer2020. Some come down, others go up, some fluctuate quite a bit more like meat.

I also noticed more recently that when there’s an out of stock issue that goes on for more than just a week or two, those Great Value products have new packaging when they come back. So I think the supply chain issues are being further complicates due to rolling out new packaging. Kinda makes sense to do it in a time when there is already a delay in getting x product on the shelves, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can see that, but if you talk about inflation I think you need to talk about REAL inflation, that is when manufacturers have to raise their prices for products because costs have gone up.

Some items, the prices are just raised willy nilly because the manufacturers are taking advantage of this and can just get away with selling their products way above their prior cost structure.

I've never in my life been in a grocery store with my list and looked at an item on the shelf and said, "I'm not going to pay that" the way I do now. Say, for pasta or soup. And then just looking around the shelf I can find a different pasta, or a different soup, that's still within the normal inflation scale.

Some companies are just seeing what they can possibly get away with, IMHO. But that's not a real reflection of the economy.
What evidence do you have of this? You’re accusing them of price gouging. I’ve seen one or two other posters say the same but there’s never any evidence of this. How do you know that companies don’t have inputs that cost more and thus are charging a higher wholesale price? You have no clue but jump to price gouging. Right. Everything is up across the board right now and will be for however long.

Old 02-24-2023, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Same here. I just say no. I used to buy ten-pack hot pockets at 10.99, often on sale 9.99. One day they were 12.99 so I deferred buying them until there was a sale. Some weeks later I went by their location and they were 14.99. At that point, I eliminated them from my diet (probably for the best) and I don't even go by their location anymore. They are permanently off my list. That's one example of many such items.

Another thing I've noticed is the store brand is often out of stock or no longer stocked. I think maybe one reason some feel that store brands have been more stable in prices is because stores sign manufacturers to long term contracts that limit price swings. So maybe the manufacturer response is to not fill the order at a money-losing price or not renew the contract. Example, next to the bread at my Kroger is Thomas english muffins at the nutso price of 3.99 for six. I was getting Kroger brand for 1.99 and honestly like them better and have tried them both side by side. The last months they have been "out" and now there isn't even an empty slot.
I have had the same issue with GV English muffins. They were like 1.00 for the longest and then started being out of stock and they kept giving me the better brand as a substitution for my pickup orders. Then they changed their substitution policy so you actually pay the price for the sub instead of the price of what you intended to order (fair enough) so I stopped getting the subs and stopped ordering English muffins altogether. They recently brought back GV brand and the price is like 50% higher so I get it sometimes but not as much and it’s still not always in stock. It’s little stupid things like this that make grocery shopping so annoying now.

I wonder about this also bc you like you said, the generics are really the same thing as the brand names for the most part so I have to wonder if the **** can only produce so much due to staffing or supply issues so the generics are not being made at the normal volume.

Old 02-24-2023, 03:49 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,383,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Cramer is an idiot.

But most news anchor are dumber than Cramer.

Here is how the Bureau of Labor Statistics determines which products to buy. Yes, they shop at Wal-Mart.

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/questions-an...htm#Question_7

The politicians have changed the way inflation is calculated TWICE. Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

Nobody outside the economic community even noticed that inflation calculations changed the way housing was treated to make sure that inflation "dropped".

Pay attention to your politicians.
Jim Cramer is an idiot? Really?

https://moneywise.com/investing/jim-...inancial-facts

What is Jim Cramer’s net worth?
Cramer’s long and abundant career in the financial sphere has led to a net worth that is estimated to be $150 million. This huge number comes as no surprise given the many hats Cramer has worn throughout his career as an investing superstar.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Wal mart doesn't make money on many items they sell, they just sell them to get people to come into the stores and then they buy other items while there. Same as for their lower prices. They strong arm companies to give them the best prices because they buy in huge volume. I don't mind buying off brand items but many times the prices are the same as name brand items. And my locally owned chain grocery store has taken to selling off brand items that are of lower cost and quality that I've never heard of. I won't buy them.
Strong arm? They do buy in massive quantities and can NEGOTIATE a better discount that way. The vendors are free to skip the huge orders and sell in smaller quantities elsewhere. Lol @ Walmart not making money. They have loss leaders like any other store, but clearly they’re not hurting. And lol @ name brand and store brand being the same price. No they are not. Sometimes the difference is huge and sometimes it’s not, but there is a price difference 99.99% of the time.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:04 AM

45,594 posts, read 60,978,386 times
Does anyone remember the last time we had this type of inflation and grocery stores sold generic items with black and white labels (BEANS) even cheaper than store brands, of which there weren't that many back then?

I don't think we're at that point yet but maybe getting close.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:12 AM

89,473 posts, read 45,156,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Strong arm? They do buy in massive quantities and can NEGOTIATE a better discount that way. The vendors are free to skip the huge orders and sell in smaller quantities elsewhere. Lol @ Walmart not making money. They have loss leaders like any other store, but clearly they’re not hurting. And lol @ name brand and store brand being the same price. No they are not. Sometimes the difference is huge and sometimes it’s not, but there is a price difference 99.99% of the time.
Walmart's current profit margin: -1.18%
5 year average: 2.09%

https://ycharts.com/companies/WMT/profit_margin

I don't know why people think Walmart rakes in a huge profit. It doesn't.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:14 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Does anyone remember the last time we had this type of inflation and grocery stores sold generic items with black and white labels (BEANS) even cheaper than store brands, of which there weren't that many back then?

I don't think we're at that point yet but maybe getting close.
Yes, I remember when "generics" were a thing. Then somebody registered the word Generic and it became a brand name.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:18 AM

5,233 posts, read 3,825,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many people can only afford Walmart crap. People on a fixed income can't afford the brand-name products.

For the most part I don't buy Great Value brand. Two examples in which Walmart is as good or better in many cases.

Unsalted crackers for 1/3 the price of Premium brand crackers. In some cases GV was better than Premium.

Peanut Butter GV brand tasted the same as Skippy.

Does the govt lie? Yep. Is it gonna get much worse? What we saw the past 3 years has been a dress rehearsal. I hope you all enjoyed being at the top of the mountain.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:28 AM

43,549 posts, read 18,621,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Walmart's current profit margin: -1.18%
5 year average: 2.09%

https://ycharts.com/companies/WMT/profit_margin

I don't know why people think Walmart rakes in a huge profit. It doesn't.
Because politicians and the media tell them that. They don't verify though and just take their word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies