Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 09:55 AM

20,881 posts, read 9,563,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yes, the thread is essentially saying such credit taking/blaming of a president is nonsense.
You win the prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 09:58 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Biden sure likes to remind us how gas has come down under him BUT it had also reached an all time high when he took office and we are still on average $1 more per gallon than we were with Trump in charge.

Oh well, so where is all that extra energy going? My guess would be Ukraine with 10% back to the Big Guy. Ukraine is getting everything else so why not our extra energy too?
We have NEVER had energy prices this high. I'm paying 5.50 for diesel STILL. My house utilities are far more expensive than they have ever been. Who is fooling who here? People that live in E County that have to use AC now have bills over a grand a month.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What did Biden do to make this happen?
Is this the guy that got redirected by the guy in an easter bunny outfit?

Old 07-26-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Two things I will point out here.
  • While Trump was president Saudi Arabia was fighting a price war with just about everyone else, pumping at capacity, this was intended to cripple other country's oil drilling industries. The US industry was one of their targets, as was Russia and the North Sea and Venezuela. It made gasoline worldwide pretty cheap while this went on.
  • The low prices crippled the US oil drilling industry, as expected. Hundreds of wildcatters and independent producers went out of business. Their assets were picked up at discounts by the Big Oil companies, who strengthened their grip on the jugular of our economy.
It is well known that energy cost is a prime driver of inflation, and MAGA's friends in the oil industry have been making astonishing excess profits lately while we all suffer.

Big Oil doubles profits in blockbuster 2022

"Big Oil more than doubled its profits in 2022 to $219 billion, smashing previous records"

Biden Threatens Windfall Tax On Oil Profits And War Profiteers

Poll Shows 'Incredible' 80% of US Voters Support Windfall Tax on Big Oil

Senate Republicans block taxes on oil profits
So buy an electric car?

Old 07-26-2023, 10:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have NEVER had energy prices this high. I'm paying 5.50 for diesel STILL. My house utilities are far more expensive than they have ever been. Who is fooling who here? People that live in E County that have to use AC now have bills over a grand a month.
We pay about $3.40.

You want to standard answer? Move elsewhere.

You choose to line in one of the most expensive areas in the nation, so it is what it is.

Arkansas is cheap

Old 07-27-2023, 10:33 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,470,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Two things I will point out here.
  • While Trump was president Saudi Arabia was fighting a price war with just about everyone else, pumping at capacity, this was intended to cripple other country's oil drilling industries. The US industry was one of their targets, as was Russia and the North Sea and Venezuela. It made gasoline worldwide pretty cheap while this went on.
  • The low prices crippled the US oil drilling industry, as expected. Hundreds of wildcatters and independent producers went out of business. Their assets were picked up at discounts by the Big Oil companies, who strengthened their grip on the jugular of our economy.
It is well known that energy cost is a prime driver of inflation, and MAGA's friends in the oil industry have been making astonishing excess profits lately while we all suffer.

Big Oil doubles profits in blockbuster 2022

"Big Oil more than doubled its profits in 2022 to $219 billion, smashing previous records"

Biden Threatens Windfall Tax On Oil Profits And War Profiteers

Poll Shows 'Incredible' 80% of US Voters Support Windfall Tax on Big Oil

Senate Republicans block taxes on oil profits
So buy an electric car?
I don't have an opinion on that, and I do not own one myself, but electricity generated with renewable sources is part of the solution overall.

The less petroleum we need here, the more we can export and that is part of the formula for energy independence.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:51 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Clearly we need to blame Bush oil.

I'm constantly amused by the parties stealing each others political attacks back and forth.

Fake News, Presidents to blame for gas prices, stolen elections, election hacking...on and on and on.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:08 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
A common brag about the Trump fans here is that the US was energy independent under Trump whereas now, under Biden, we're not.

The problem with that argument is, it's not actually true.

Article dated May 2, 2023.

U.S. Energy Independence Soars To Highest Level In Over 70 Years

US petroleum production in 2022 was 1.5% lower than 2019.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicato...il-consumption

The steady increase in US petroleum production mentioned in the article started in 2005 with the Bush-era Energy Policy Act that restricted ways in which the EPA could regulate fracking.

Tree huggers squealed at the time.

https://greengroundswell.com/energy-...er/2015/03/12/

Old 07-27-2023, 11:12 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,258,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
A common brag about the Trump fans here is that the US was energy independent under Trump whereas now, under Biden, we're not.

The problem with that argument is, it's not actually true.

Article dated May 2, 2023.

U.S. Energy Independence Soars To Highest Level In Over 70 Years
Economic markers are more complex than claimed and always used dishonestly to make political gain.

energy independence under trump vs energy independence under biden admin.......

Under Trump the cost of gasoline was low. No one was dipping into their saving to fill up the gas tank.

SOR was filled with cheaply purchased oil. Dems blocked further purchase of cheap oil.

We began to profit from selling oil, were on the brink of cornering the Euro energy market, cutting into Putin's profits and hamstring his ambition to claw back ukraine. Saudi and ME oil influence on the energy market was blunted.

We extricated the US from involvement in the ME's never ending turmoil and oil price blackmail. We did not have to beg for Saudi and Venezuelan dictator's dirty oil, detrimental to the environment.

Emissions were trending down and led the world in that regard.

Theoretical energy independence under biden admin crushed the cornerstone of the economy and in a run away cascade of energy costs, impacted everything downstream, transportation costs soared, goods and supplies cost more to produce and were in short supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies