Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 08:24 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Fox News showed the video of the beating, despicable actions by the assailant but what purpose does publishing that video accomplish. Do we need to view every assault in the country.
Yes, we need to see every assault, not sweep it under the rug, like the dems want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 08:27 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
In reality, we need to make it safe for old ladies to go on the subway at 3:30am. NYC and Democratic leadership is failing their residents yet again.
I agree 100%. Problem is that the current crop of democrat leadership values criminals over law abiding citizens, and they make no effort to hide the fact anymore. When the population votes for anyone with a (D) behind their name, especially when voting for district attorneys, expect citizen safety to take a backseat to wokeness. Nothing looks like it will change anytime soon.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:30 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm far from being a lefty but... Why was she on the train at 3:30 AM? Nothing good happens on a NYC subway at that time of the night. I'm not a little old lady, and I wouldn't dare step foot on the subway at that time.

As for the attacker... He should be beaten with a cane twice as hard, and twice as many times.... Unless they are mentally ill. In which case, the state is to blame, as this person should have been warehoused in an insane asylum long ago. I'm getting tired of reading about and seeing all these altercations that turn out to be a result of someone's uncontrolled mental condition. Some people simply don't belong out in public, otherwise you get clown world. But hey NYC has vending machines with crack pipes now... Progress
Why was she on the train at 3:30 AM? Nothing good happens on a NYC subway at that time of the night.

This. I used to ride the NYC subways back in the day. I'd still get on one during daylight hours, but never at night unless I was sure the train was going to be crowded. You're just asking for trouble, otherwise.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:32 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Yes, we need to see every assault, not sweep it under the rug, like the dems want.
I'm going to keep this politically neutral so as to make an effective point that people need to take to heart.

Crime stats are up.

That being said, if you don't arrest people or if you change an assault or car theft or vehicular homicide (points at Chicago's Kim Foxx) to a plea deal misdemeanor where does it go?

Well then it's not a serious crime, it's just a misdemeanor! Poof, like it never happened in the stats.

This is why shootings, car thefts and homicides are more the bell-weathers as those can't be hidden as they are recorded and involve people outside of the mayors, prosecutors or police (under mayoral control).

What also happens is that people don't bother reporting crimes that the police will do nothing about or aren't insured.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:33 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
the police had the suspect and let him go.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/05/cops-l...ating-sources/
w...t...f...?

Old 09-06-2023, 09:04 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Oh it most certainly does. A good guy tried to help fellow subway riders and has been charged with murder while violent criminals are allowed to roam free. Even if someone could have helped this woman, they probably would not.
I didn't see anyone else around, did you?

The police didn't have access to the video when they showed up, the first call from the clerk went to the MTA and then the police. He was gone by the time the police showed up.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:09 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
So show every assault throughout the country, what exactly does that accomplish.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:10 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I didn't see anyone else around, did you?

The police didn't have access to the video when they showed up, the first call from the clerk went to the MTA and then the police. He was gone by the time the police showed up.
"Although the responding cops did see the video, it’s not clear whether they watched it before or after they let Blake slip into the wind."

Old 09-06-2023, 09:23 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
The first challenge of any media story the last 15 years has been wondering if what they're reporting is accurate....or just fast.

That goes for ALL media, a desperate fight for ratings in the internet era.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:26 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I don't get the point tbh. If you knew the old lady, maybe you could communicate this personally.

Also, your standards for what is safe/unsafe, good judgement/bad judgement are completely arbitrary. You say going and riding the subway at 3:30am is unsafe, maybe someone will say riding the subway at any time is unsafe, and so when you're robbed at 5pm on the subway, they will wag their fingers and say you need more personal responsibility.

In reality, we need to make it safe for old ladies to go on the subway at 3:30am. NYC and Democratic leadership is failing their residents yet again.
I don't know if I'd say my standards are completely arbitrary. I mean, yes, I understand that I, personally, am not the sole arbiter of society's standards of safety and judgment. But if we were to poll 1,000 New Yorkers and ask them at what hours they feel safe riding the subway and at what hours they don't, I would surmise that a much higher number of them would say that 3:30 a.m. is unsafe than 5:00 p.m. being unsafe.

In any case, I wholeheartedly agree that our goal should be to make it so that old ladies can be safe on the subway even at 3:30 a.m. But that will require a sea change in attitudes towards law enforcement and proper social behavior and crime and punishment, and it seems that such attitudes have in fact gone the opposite direction in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies